Do you use ladder on your SSTO design?

royying

Just found out that ladder have ridiculous high amount of drag, and those drag apply on the attached part which mostly are cockpit at the very front of the vessel. If the drag at front are high, it will prone to cause the plane flip over.

screenshot180.png

Edited by royying

Yes I use ladders on my MK2 and MK3 SSTOs and have not noticed much drag from them.  This one has ladders and the worst drag is caused by the 2 outer rapiers being slightly misaligned.  Other than that is looks pretty clean.

jhliczA.jpg

11 hours ago, miklkit said:

Yes I use ladders on my MK2 and MK3 SSTOs and have not noticed much drag from them.  This one has ladders and the worst drag is caused by the 2 outer rapiers being slightly misaligned.  Other than that is looks pretty clean.

physicless part drag will not show in F12 menu, you have to turn on debug action menu to check the actual drag 

Hmm, could that drag be caused by the ladders location?   Is the drag still high when the ladders are located back on the fuselage?  On my MK3s the ladders are mounted on the cockpit but the MK2s have them mounted back a bit and i never noticed any drag from them.  I never use the debug menu and don't know how to turn it on. 

Just out of curiosity and because I have never used the debug menu I gave it a try.  Didn't change anything but turned it on, then took out a MK2 with ladders and the change was dramatic.  It normally gets up into orbit quite well but suddenly it could not even go supersonic.  Not even close.  Reverted to the hanger and tried again and it flew normally again.   That debug menu seems to be buggy to this noob.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.