KSP2 EA Grand Discussion Thread.

James Kerman

1 minute ago, regex said:

My 3070ti seemed to handle it just fine this morning. I'll know more after work today.

My RX 5700 is performing better than I would have expected as well. I could only play a couple hours before work, but I had 1080p, high presets, 4x AA, and, while it was certainly sluggish, it was still very playable.

13 minutes ago, regex said:

Feel free not to pay that if it's so offensive.

That's the thing - Intercept isn't reaching into anyone's pocket here.  They've been really forthcoming regarding the state of this EA release, and fans who may be on the fence about buying have lots of access to performance reports, gameplay videos, etc.

If the current problems with performance and lack of features are going to anger you - take a beat.  Keep your money in your pocket and check back in April.

45 minutes ago, Hitori said:

So i tried playing KSP 2, made a basic rocket, boosters, disposable fuel tanks, 2 stage engines, in order to reach a simple orbit for the first time.

So first flight, failed to control the rocket into space and crashed into the ocean (the controls had changed this much).
Second try, i get into space, dispose of the launch engine, run the VAC engine for less than a minute and then "POOF" entire ship falls into pieces instantly with my camera view getting scuffed.
Third try, same result as second.

Maybe i only have 900 hours playing this, but traveling from Kerbal to the Mun orbiting both and then come back is routine for me.
There is no reason to why a basic ship like this should fail to work!
KSP1 was more stable than this on initial release with 40 parts whobbling around.

In addition it took me 5 min to figure out how to check how much fuel is still remaining in a tank, this fairly proves that the entire interface has been changed to the point where it has nothing in common with KSP1 any more.

It's plain as daylight that this game is not even remotely close to completed, i question this having even been Alpha tested...
And i only see a few specklike details that can even be considered "improvements" compared to KSP1, the rest of it is utterly sub-par and just makes me wana not recomend KSP2 at all and just tell people to ignore it and play/buy KSP1 instead as KSP2 is currently a downgrade for sure.

What the heck happened, was the entire staff sacked, replaced and asked to remake it all with no source code from KSP1 available?
I am utterly dissapointed, i am a programmer, i know it aint easy, but this is not a early release, this is clearly a skipped early Beta test that we paying money for, at least make it possible for people to try enjoy it instead of forcing them to ask for  a refund...
?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

I mean, this is a little silly, and you understand that right? 

You don't have 900 hours playing this game.  You have 0 hours.  We all do.  This is an optional Early Access release program.  Optional.  You are not required to playtest Early Access, nor is anything at all final.  Oddly enough, I'm playing on a 1050 Ti,  with my resolution turned down, and while I have encountered a few bugs, nothing like you described and was in orbit in no time.  

It took you five minutes to look at the lower right corner of your screen?  This entire sentence is VERY telling, because of course the interface isn't the same as KSP 1, it's a different piece of software.   Took me all of 40 seconds to mouse over and figure out the layout. 

Yes, it is very plain as daylight that the game isn't close to release.  That is literally why the EARLY ACCESS branding and program even exists.

No, it is not a skipped beta test, it is an open and obvious beta test, with invitations to join in for sale.  Stating the obvious while intending for it to be an insult may not be feedback that you think it is.

31 minutes ago, p331083 said:

So you like paying for the privilege of being unpaid quality assurance?

This is why games keep turning out like this,.

I am going to be honest with you, I do not care.
Personally, I will not be turning KSP2 into my day-job. It is a hobby, a game that I play out of enjoyment. Why do people volunteer for things? Why do people volunteer for food shelters, where they will receive no compensation for their work? Simply, because they want to. (KSP does not compare to a food shelter though, you should volunteer for one!)

I will play KSP2 because I want to influence its development, even if marginally, to provide a better experience for the players down the line. Some people will bear the burden of paving the road, so that others may walk on it.

I respect your decisions/opinions though! Each to the beat of their own drum

Ok Criticism time..

2 things that I already know you know about, but I need to say them anyway just so I have had my 2 cents in.

#1  We need to be able to make the PE or AP symbol on a maneuver line continue to show while we change a maneuver node. KSP 1 did a right click, I don't care if you do it that way or some other way, but we need that.

#2 It is FAR too easy to accidently destroy your ship when trying to delete a maneuver node you are near. LOL

What I am saying is your statement is not fair. Beta tester is a job. Sometimes its paid, sometimes its voluntary, but its never a commercial product you can buy from Steam. So for you to say that a certain user "Isn't cut out to be a beta tester" is not only insulting, but wrong. They never signed up to be a beta tester. They paid money for an early access game. Show me where it is stated this release is specifically to beta test the game.

Don't ban me,  but......  aren't we all testing  / still testing ,  all variants ?.....

Yes, I get that somebody gets paid to do it, and I'm sure it's been said before, but it is down to us players to try to make the game we want to play by giving our feedback, surely / maybe ...

Also yes, we live in a point and click world and expect things to happen as quickly,  unfortunately it is not the real world experience.....

I don't know any answers here,  but I will not get KSP2 until I can see that I will like it.

Just now, Meecrob said:

What I am saying is your statement is not fair. Beta tester is a job. Sometimes its paid, sometimes its voluntary, but its never a commercial product you can buy from Steam. So for you to say that a certain user "Isn't cut out to be a beta tester" is not only insulting, but wrong. They never signed up to be a beta tester. They paid money for an early access game. Show me where it is stated this release is specifically to beta test the game.

What I am saying is don't volunteer if you don't want to be! We volunteered, if you don't want to volunteer, then don't.

It really is that simple. 

51 minutes ago, tstein said:

No it doe snot. EA is a tradeoff..   we pay  the developers  early for something that is not ready..  in return  they  have to accept that we are going to WHINE . There is no reason for EA is  people are to simply shut up. The time to be vocal is EXACTLY  in EA. Anyone that pays for EA  gets the right to voice their concerns!

They stated before EA released that the game was still in beta and would be for some time. If you decided to purchase a beta project and are unhappy about that, then you are at fault, and no one else.

The way I look at it (and I started playing KSP1 very late into the process), it's following a very similar track to the original.  There were tons of minor releases before it ever got to a 1.0 version.  Yes, it maybe has a bigger price tag (don't recall what the original paid price was for KSP, maybe $20), but to update the graphical effort alone is going to take a lot more capital than the team had when they were working on KSP1.

Games are expensive these days.  Anything XBox or Playstation usually starts at $60-70 these days, and many of those games are starting to micro-transaction players to death.

If you don't like the cost, don't buy it.  If you don't like the state it is in now, don't buy it. Wait until it's more developed...or don't.  The decision is yours.

Eventually, it will be at a 1.0 state or better.  The die-hards are going to buy it now no matter what.  I'm not a KSP die-hard, and I'm still buying it.  I know there will be bugs, but I've played this game more than the rest of my entire Steam library combined.  Do what's best for you.

35 minutes ago, regex said:

Feel free not to pay that if it's so offensive.

Indeed, refunding is my current plan.  Given the game a week though, maybe they'll be on the ball with fixing the most basic functionality.  It could happen. 

I think the developers are out of money(or rather will have that issue soon), and are making the rather bold decision to release now in an effort to fund continued development(pure speculation on my part other than I have been in business myself)...  There is this sense among the younger generations that these companies have unlimited funds and can continue to fund this type of development indefinitely.  KSP is an incredibly complex and expansive product, and their investors probably want to see if continued funding is worth while.  If you like the KSP franchise to the point where you are getting angry (is there a more pure form of nerd love?) about the state of the product you will buy it.

/insert 1980's movie cleaning montage here

/not a shill, just a long time KSP enthusiast.

You don't get it. I'm perfectly capable of choosing where to spend my money. I'm saying you made a statement that is condescending and misses the point. And now you are being condescending to me. Go enjoy KSP2 and let us express our opinions as well. None of this affects your enjoyment of the game. People are upset. I'm glad you enjoy the game. Please understand none of us are trying to impinge on your enjoyment of the game.

I have to say that I'm still getting used to the new UI, but it's not as bad as I was afraid it would be. I'm quite happy with the procedural wings, though my Maneuver planner seems to be a bit borked. Might have been because I didn't stage into the stage until after I had the maneuver planned though. Kerbin is beautiful and the game is running on my ancient AMD FX-8350 processor and my GTX 1060. Medium graphics makes it playable, if a touch laggy. For an Early Access release with the precedent of KSP 1 behind it, I'm quite satisfied and I look forwards to seeing how the devs take our suggestions from here.

10 minutes ago, djr5899 said:

Eventually, it will be at a 1.0 state or better. 

This is probably why many people are worried. How are they going to fund development to v1.0 if its getting mixed reviews on Steam? Just because KSP1 got developed for so long is no indication Take Two will have the same patience. Of course, nobody knows the answer, but that uncertainty is why people are upset. People aren't trying to crap on KSP2, thy are worried it will make it to v0.2 or 0.3 and have the plug pulled on it because it didn't meet sales targets.

I hope I speak for everyone when I say that I do not enjoy saying negative things about my favourite game. I guess its like parenting...I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed.

First impressions:

1. The way the parts cohere into craft is just beautiful. No more Jeb's junkyard but in a good way
  2. I tried flying a plane. Flying is just SO MUCH BETTER I can hardly believe it. Controller support when?
  3. I tried flying into orbit. Screwed up deployments settings for a parachute and Bill made a crater. Worked the second time.
  4. The new UIs are great, so much more coherent and intuitive than before. Same for the VAB.
  5. The sound design is just pure art, from the ambience to the music to the engine sounds and clanks and crashes. 

Obviously there's a LOT that needs work, polish, tightening up but it's already so much better than KSP1 in core areas than I expected. 

I won't put the "needs work" list here because there's no news to anyone there. But this is looking really good! I can't wait to see how it shapes up in the coming weeks and months.

Fully understand that it is early access but as it stands now I'm going to have to sit aside and wait some time before playing again. 4 hours in and it's not been pleasant.

1. Revert to Launch and Revert to VAB don't work from the Pause menu. The option to revert to Launch is the only thing selectable from the flight menu. This means reverting to Launch and then recovering as an only option to rollback. Painful.

2. When watching the ESA previewers playing a lot of fuss was made about the ability to set timewarp to 0 (pause) but still have full control of the game. This was beneficial in being able to manipulate manuever nodes while not needing to be pressured to do so quickly. This does not exist in this build and needs to be put back in ASAP. This is made even more problematic by issue #3...

3. Manuever nodes are just not great right now. You create a node, but then have to click on it to get the option to start manipulating. You have to then click off the node and onto the PE or AP to see what value your manuever has been mvoed to, then click back to the node to adjust. Repeating this more than once is a test of sanity. This makes quick noding impossible as it stands and is game breaking for me at least.

4. Quality of Life issue #1. When timewarping to a node the message states timewarp stopped due to proximity to celestial body. It should state that it has arrived at the node. Minor issue, but someone should have picked up on that in Beta.

5. The manuever node can sometimes be wildly incorrect. A node set to arrive in Kerbin's atmosphere at 25km, when exectued had the arrival at 120km. Missed it by that much. And no it wasn't because of an underburn. Everything ran smoothly, however it stated it was at 25km on the readout below the navball, but only as approaching the AP did it update to 120km.

6. Plane control surfaces seem glitchy. At one point all the control surfaces were "spazzing out" (no other way to describe accurately). In addition to this having a surface actually lift a plane seems much more difficult with the current build than in KSP1. Duplicating my builds for a lightweight nimble jet ends up with an uncontrolable mess.

**edit**

7. I completely forgot the MOST important one. WHY IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS HOLY is there a Destroy option, without any safety check, right below Focus on the map screen. Every single person is blowing their ships up and killing Kerbals... At least add an are you sure checkpoint.

Edited by Knoxy_in_Oz

7 minutes ago, Periple said:

First impressions:

1. The way the parts cohere into craft is just beautiful. No more Jeb's junkyard but in a good way
  2. I tried flying a plane. Flying is just SO MUCH BETTER I can hardly believe it. Controller support when?
  3. I tried flying into orbit. Screwed up deployments settings for a parachute and Bill made a crater. Worked the second time.
  4. The new UIs are great, so much more coherent and intuitive than before. Same for the VAB.
  5. The sound design is just pure art, from the ambience to the music to the engine sounds and clanks and crashes. 

Obviously there's a LOT that needs work, polish, tightening up but it's already so much better than KSP1 in core areas than I expected. 

I won't put the "needs work" list here because there's no news to anyone there. But this is looking really good! I can't wait to see how it shapes up in the coming weeks and months.

Yeah that is where I am at, needs work, and we signed up for purchasing the game while It still needs work.

I'm glad that you are listing the good stuff, I am trying to do that as well along with things that need to be improved.

I just did an orbit of Kerbin, and now a low Mun orbit, about to build my first Mun lander.

Lots of good stuff, some stuff I wont mention because I don't want to complain about things not being exactly like KSP1, so I hold those in reserve till I get used to the new system, and a few things that obviously need work.

but so far, so good! I am quite happy.

Edited by DwightLee

7 minutes ago, Meecrob said:

I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed.

Are you disappointed, or are you jumping the gun, or both?

Been in Early Access for 5.5 hours.   A grand total of 5.5 hours.  Not even a single work day, and people are acting like it's been a month.   Calm down, they haven't even made it to LUNCH.

My take is those same people probably shouldn't have been here this early.  

For "loving" something so much, people sure seem to be ready to claim the sky is falling, and everything is a sign of the worst.

I'll be lucky if nothing ever "loves" me that much.