KSP2 EA Grand Discussion Thread.

James Kerman

1 minute ago, DwightLee said:

I would like to inform you that the developers said this game would still be in beta  with bug and optimization still being worked on. We knew this going into Early Access.

Not everyone likes working a beta with developers, why did you choose to?

I'm ready to put my money on the table and tell you that all the early access games i've had were playable,yes i've experienced tons of bugs,crashes,glitches,performance issues,but not performance like this mate........It's like mining while playing 

5 hours ago, Chilkoot said:

That's the thing - Intercept isn't reaching into anyone's pocket here.  They've been really forthcoming regarding the state of this EA release, and fans who may be on the fence about buying have lots of access to performance reports, gameplay videos, etc.

If the current problems with performance and lack of features are going to anger you - take a beat.  Keep your money in your pocket and check back in April.

That's pretty much it. The only thing really tempting me to pay the C$67 now is that the price will most likely go up with each major update. But I don't want to spend the money now, so I think I'll make the kids buy it for me for Father's Day, or my September birthday. Besides, I just got back into KSP1 after finally installing RSS/RO/RP-1.

3 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

and played poorly but bearable on my laptop with a 1650 mobile and i5 9300h.

Oh hey, that's what I have, with 24GB RAM. Good to have a comparison point.

Edited by StrandedonEarth

19 minutes ago, Kubas_inko said:

Would be nice to know the specs and framerate. I always see "it runs fine on my machine" and then I find out that their machine has 4080 or that fine is 30fps while looking at the sky...

A laptop RTX 3070 Ti -- WHICH IS NOT THE SAME AS A DESKTOP 3070 -- and a Ryzen 9 6900HX. Thing is, when you said "not playable at all", I imagined a bug that severely disrupts whatever it is you're doing rather than just bad performance. It'd help to know your specs as well when figuring out why yours lags.

44 minutes ago, Skorj said:

Glad you're enjoying it.  But please stop conflating "incomplete" and "low quality".  These are unrelated.  I certainly expected the game to be incomplete - it says so on the Steam store page.  They were very upfront about the included content.  That's not the issue here.  Quality is a different topic.  Bugs don't get fixed all at the end as part of "finishing".  Sure, that approach was common last century, I was there for it, but there's a reason everyone changed to iterative development.  It's understood now that "if there's not time to do it right, there won't be time to do it over".  But I'm belaboring the point, so I'll stop.

As the Howard Jones Song says in the Launch Trailer.. "Things can only Get better " (just like KSP 1 did.)

25 minutes ago, BobbyDausus said:

I'm ready to put my money on the table and tell you that all the early access games i've had were playable,yes i've experienced tons of bugs,crashes,glitches,performance issues,but not performance like this mate........It's like mining while playing 

We are not talking about other games that do early access in a different way, we are talking about Kerbal Space Program 2 where we were fully informed as to what it would be at launch of early access.

We knew, because we were told it was still in beta and would be for quite some time.

30 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

That's pretty much it. The only thing really tempting me to pay the C$67 now is that the price will most likely go up with each major update. But I don't want to spend the money now, so I think I'll make the kids buy it for me for Father's Day, or my September birthday. Besides, I just got back into KSP1 after finally installing RSS/RO/RP-1.

Oh hey, that's what I have, with 24GB RAM. Good to have a comparison point.

I think I need to put fresh thermal paste on, my laptop sits at 85C on desktop so keep that in mind too

I refunded. 

I wish you all the best in this endeavour. KSP 1 was one hell of a ride during development, and this probably is, too. But as I had to realize today, I can afford neither the hardware nor the patience nor the confidence to step in that early. I will keep track of the issues, and hopefully join again later, but I went into this with far too high expectations. 

14 minutes ago, Space_Coyote said:
59 minutes ago, Skorj said:

Glad you're enjoying it.  But please stop conflating "incomplete" and "low quality".  These are unrelated.  I certainly expected the game to be incomplete - it says so on the Steam store page.  They were very upfront about the included content.  That's not the issue here.  Quality is a different topic.  Bugs don't get fixed all at the end as part of "finishing".  Sure, that approach was common last century, I was there for it, but there's a reason everyone changed to iterative development.  It's understood now that "if there's not time to do it right, there won't be time to do it over".  But I'm belaboring the point, so I'll stop.

As the Howard Jones Song says in the Launch Trailer.. "Things can only Get better " (just like KSP 1 did.)

Yeah. Let's not forget how barebones KSP 1 was (and still is). I'd honestly say there's a lot of bias around here in favour of KSP 1 despite it missing some very important things like persistent thrust, which let's face it, is required for a good handful of thrusters - I'd say I'm rather baffled Squad added ion engines for 0.18 and over the course of a decade never looked at fixing KSP 1's stinginess with timewarp and acceleration.

8 hours ago, Minmus Taster said:

I'm judging it by what's in it's heart to stay positive. No point saying what's already been said about performance and bugs (though I do hope they work on that soon :/). And frankly I wasn't expecting to to run on my potato and it did and that's all I needed from it today. I've had closure after 3 years, my soul can rest easy tonight :) 

Said potato's specs?

Also, I hear they added a new planet between Duna and Jool. Is that true?

Edited by Admiral Fluffy

28 minutes ago, DwightLee said:

We are not talking about other games that do early access in a different way, we are talking about Kerbal Space Program 2 where we were fully informed as to what it would be at launch of early access.

We knew, because we were told it was still in beta and would be for quite some time.

We were not fully informed- in my opinion, the level of game-breaking bugs is beyond what could reasonably have been expected.

7 minutes ago, VlonaldKerman said:

We were not fully informed- in my opinion, the level of game-breaking bugs is beyond what could reasonably have been expected.

When you buy a game that is early access, you waive any reasonable right to be surprised that things are broken ;)

To be honest, I think "early access" has become way too synonymous with "games that are 150% complete with things that the devs didn't even anticipate would be in release but the lead isn't feeling 100% confident on a release", but you know, this game though is a proper early access. Whatever reality-breaking bugs you come across, that's just the game not being complete :)

2 hours ago, DwightLee said:

Ok

Having a blast, so far performance has been better than expected.

10900k CPU, GTX 3800 GPU, 32 Gig Ram

I do not have FPS numbers up as I think that distracts from how it feels running, its just a number, the game feels fine and without a lot of stuttering.

Launched my first asparagus staged vehicle and found a few minor issues.

Issues

I cant seem to find how to separate 4 couplers into different stage points, I had to put the 4 couplers on 2 at a time to do it.

The struts often get confused, I try to put on 4 and they go nuts trying to put them all over the place and not symmetrical, ended up having to add struts one at a time.

Kerbals sneak into seats when you are not looking. You can save a craft with 4 seats and only want 3 kerbals, load it up from a save and an extra one will have snuck into that 4th seat, you cant trust the little green bastages.

All minor issues, just an annoyance at this stage, but does need fixing at some point.

Looking good, really loving the game!

"I do not have exact numbers up as I think that distracts from how it feels"... roflmao, so you don't like facts/science much eh?

Post a YouTube vid, lets see how it "FEELS". 

7 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

When you buy a game that is early access, you waive any reasonable right to be surprised that things are broken ;)

To be honest, I think "early access" has become way too synonymous with "games that are 150% complete with things that the devs didn't even anticipate would be in release but the lead isn't feeling 100% confident on a release", but you know, this game though is a proper early access. Whatever reality-breaking bugs you come across, that's just the game not being complete :)

LMAO #1 Hot Take of all time. That's not what Early Access means. Early Access means they're polishing it and getting it ready for launch.

59 minutes ago, DwightLee said:

I would like to inform you that the developers said this game would still be in beta  with bug and optimization still being worked on. We knew this going into Early Access.

Not everyone likes working a beta with developers, why did you choose to?

they have a real hard time understanding the differences between a beta, and a alpha.. this game is far from being in a beta state.

alpha use to mean that the game was in a state that was JUST playable enough to have a playable experience on the highest tier equipment, most features are missing day one, or months away from being even out/tested, lots of bugs, not playable for most players, typically used during testing and verifying, but there has been games that have used this time to receive feedback and work on getting beta for more information, playability, and closer "final" product.

beta use to mean that the game was in a state that most player can play in a wide range of pc's with a huge range of computer types, getting wide ranges of fps from 1fps to 100's of fps, most features have been added, some bugs are there however most game breaking bugs have been fixed, besides the ones that were added during a new content update, or X update of the game...

which one does ksp 2 fit in... interestingly enough its alpha, about to go in the stage of beta..

now alpha means internally its a hot mess, and beta is a hot mess but for the "Consumerstm"

Ok coming back from Mun landing and there is something we need.

There need to be an easy way to see how full an attached tank is. 

It may just be my own misunderstanding but it would help if in the parts manager when you have a tank selected you could see how much fuel is currently in it. That way it would be easier to know when we can drop that tank.

Thanks in advance  :)

21 minutes ago, LHACK4142 said:

As a fellow extreme-KSP-1-bug-experiencer-and-hater who hasn't gotten the time to play KSP2, is it in fact better than KSP1 in terms of bugs, @Bej Kerman?

(Assuming you've tried KSP2)

It very successfully recreates the experience of early access KSP.

Lots of fun, lots of jank.

55 minutes ago, Monger said:

I refunded. 

I wish you all the best in this endeavour. KSP 1 was one hell of a ride during development, and this probably is, too. But as I had to realize today, I can afford neither the hardware nor the patience nor the confidence to step in that early. I will keep track of the issues, and hopefully join again later, but I went into this with far too high expectations. 

that's fair, hope the game crosses the threshold for you soon :)

Edited by mcwaffles2003

27 minutes ago, LHACK4142 said:

As a fellow extreme-KSP-1-bug-experiencer-and-hater who hasn't gotten the time to play KSP2, is it in fact better than KSP1 in terms of bugs, @Bej Kerman?

(Assuming you've tried KSP2)

I would say comparable to VERY early releases of KSP 1. VERY VERY early. Though, I'm getting new hardware next week... doubt that really impacts the bugs I've been having, but it's possible.

I am surprised I am going to say this given I WAS looking forward to KSP2, but, I am going to not buy it. Not now at least. From what I have seen the game is far less playable than expected. I am going to wait a few months at the least. My best wishes to all of you jumping in right now. Ill keep my ear to the ground and watch from the sidelines but for me, Im going to need to see a product that works as intended and at bare minimum as well as KSP1. Happy flying yall, but for me, mission scrubbed. <S>

Let's see here:

No tutorial on fine controls for VAB construction. The power of Shift should be explained to newbs.  (Otherwise the tutorials were very well done.)

Parts manager doesn't show fuel left in tank.

Recovered Kerbalnauts vanish from game.

No highlight on parts selected in stack while in-flight. 

Fuel flow issues on 2 deep 3-way onion stack. One deep worked fine. 2-deep had one tank drain unevenly.

I can see where the effort was put into onboarding, and I think the devs did a good job. The soundtrack of the game is amazing! 

I loved KSP1, but this has a looooong way to go.  Launch is just way overloaded with stat screens not needed.  Rocket building well it could be lots better.  If this dis-satisfaction keeps up it will be straight to my Company of Heroes 3 purchase real soon.

48 minutes ago, Stephensan said:

they have a real hard time understanding the differences between a beta, and a alpha.. this game is far from being in a beta state.

which one does ksp 2 fit in... interestingly enough its alpha, about to go in the stage of beta..

now alpha means internally its a hot mess, and beta is a hot mess but for the "Consumerstm"

Id say more its in the Perpertal Beta https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_beta stage, they have locked down the basics of the game and realsed those into Beta, and are slowly working on bring across feateurs as they can, its been a prety common thing for years now. . even KSP was stuck in that for years, remember when KSP was free but the parts phsyics did this?  

Or landing legs could rip a craft in half? Hell I exploted thqat bug back when stage seprators weiged so much that removeing one from your craft cut your DV requiremnts significantly for a return trip from that brand newly added Mun?

PB or EA has been a ever growing thing,  hell loook at the full realse hell major titles are going though.

Prettry much every game Ive paid for and played in the last 10 years out side of a handfull of major AAA ones like Diablo, Doom etc have all been some PB or EA, and ive enjoyued palying them and exloring the new feteurs as they came out, things are changing, its not the 80's or 90's or even the 2010's any more. 

In my opinion, I think that whether KSP2 will succeed or fail as a sequel is based on three criterion. Only the latter was explicitly promised, but I think that they were the problems that only a sequel could completely fix. I should probably make it clear that I don't have KSP2, nor can I afford it in the foreseeable future. I'm merely basing this on what others have said about the game.

The first criterion is better performance. So far, I believe it's failing in that regard. To even play it, you already need pricey graphics cards that could run the vanilla KSP1 extremely well. I think it's been a performance downgrade on all fronts compared with the original KSP. It's clear it's unoptimized and requires a lot of computing power for a game that has very unpolished graphics and I think is at best on-par with what you can get from some visual mods from KSP1 (and ironically, ones that I can play at a playable framerate even with my extremely old GPU.) This is one of the major complaints and it's a shame that the developers weren't able to do it. It's a massive red flag when people with high-end PC's are complaining about performance.

The second criterion is less bugs, and overhauling the coding mistakes that haunted KSP1 since its launch. I also don't think that was fulfilled. Based on what I've been seeing, KSP2 has been routed on that front. Many of the krakens that plagued KSP1 are back with a vengeance. Some of the same mistakes are made in KSP2, such as noodly rockets (except worse, it seems), parts shifting when they shouldn't, parts falling through the surface, etc. It's clear that at best, it will repeat KSP's long road of endless bugfixing.

And the third criterion, newer and better features, it's clear to anyone that it is an abject failure. Even if I did have the specs to run KSP2, as much as I love KSP1 I still wouldn't buy it for $50. Not only were all the features that were supposed to really set KSP2 apart are pushed back "for the future." It has less features than even KSP1 had way back when I first started playing in 0.25. I hate to be that kind of person, but I think it's indefensible to ask more money than the original game when you have less features than what the first game already has.

And to be honest, I feel like the defense "well you've never actually handed over your money, therefore you have no reason to complain" is dishonest. The fact is that 50% of potential customers apparently don't recommend the game (according to steam) and many more potential buyers have been turned off is a massive indictment to it. I mean, say for example, that some company was selling faulty lawnmowers at premium prices. No one would say "well, since you haven't actually paid for it, you have no right to condemn this company for their abominable business practices." It's just that when it comes to video games, suddenly people view things differently. And as for "oh well, it's early access guys, it'll get better," it's equally wrong. Early access isn't a shield that you can use to defend any and all criticism. It isn't an excuse to publish a bad game, nor is it an excuse to publish something broken beyond repair.

Edited by DunaManiac

Veteran KSP1 guy here. First rocket had bad staging, blew up all over the place, and I started smiling for the next hour or so. If KSP2 beta can capture even a fraction of the magic that KSP1 development had going for it (HYPE TRAIN CHOO CHOOOOO) it will be a monumental success. The game is beautiful already, and I betcha most common issues will be fixed within a month. Im excited. 

Heat shields (thermal dynamics) was a thing in KSP1 as of Version 1.0 Demo released April, 2015.  (according to ksp wiki)

What happened to KSP2 being true to KSP1 basics?

IMHO, what I and many other reviewss are primarily not happy with are the basics. The missing multiplayer/interstellar/science/etc are not the complaints.  For some the basics are performance, my issues with the basics are different.  I do understand early access, but this current state of early access is more like a beta/demo.

As I posted in my review on steam: The dev teams needs to focus on basics and not the long term goals of interstellar, colonies, multiple systems, etc. 

I am a KSP fan and still hoping KSP2 can deliver in the future, but KSP2 is just missing so much basics at the present.  Therefore I posted a negative steam review. Hope to change my review of KSP2 to a positive in the future. 

Edited by fragtzack