KSP2 EA Grand Discussion Thread.

James Kerman

1 minute ago, Bej Kerman said:

And it is working. It's slightly bugged, exactly as I expected for an Early Access title, but it's there. The devs didn't just add ion engines and leave it at that without thinking about the critical features needed for them to be practical. Resource flow is obviously bugged but it beats 4x max warp. You can do beelines through the Kerbol system in stock now, unlike in KSP 1 where it was extremely impractical to do so.

I guess this is the bias I was talking about; X was completely gone from KSP 1 and its absence hurt the experience, but because it's somewhat bugged in KSP 2 it's not a valid comparison.

For me it simply does not work... nothing at all.

I’m most concerned by the kraken bugs that still remain rather than the lack of content. In my testing, the large ship physics seem just as bad if not worse than ksp1. That’s a core component of the game and likely not going to be patched in later. When they said they slayed the kraken, I have no idea what they were referring to. 

4 minutes ago, SilentSword said:

I’m most concerned by the kraken bugs that still remain rather than the lack of content. In my testing, the large ship physics seem just as bad if not worse than ksp1. That’s a core component of the game and likely not going to be patched in later. When they said they slayed the kraken, I have no idea what they were referring to. 

Well I cannot even remotely try to put into orbit something as big as KSP 1 because of performance, so  they kind of slayed the kraken  by hunger..

1 minute ago, thunder175 said:

Just checking in after reading the Steam reviews... the natives are restless it appears.

REstless natives are the best thing to put the development priorities in the important stuff (and how many facial expressions a kerbal has is not one of them)

28 minutes ago, tstein said:
30 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

And it is working. It's slightly bugged, exactly as I expected for an Early Access title, but it's there. The devs didn't just add ion engines and leave it at that without thinking about the critical features needed for them to be practical. Resource flow is obviously bugged but it beats 4x max warp. You can do beelines through the Kerbol system in stock now, unlike in KSP 1 where it was extremely impractical to do so.

I guess this is the bias I was talking about; X was completely gone from KSP 1 and its absence hurt the experience, but because it's somewhat bugged in KSP 2 it's not a valid comparison.

For me it simply does not work... nothing at all.

Alright, that's news to me. Did you report the bug?

15 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

While I agree wholeheartedly with this, I'm also choosing to not pay $50 for it right now because I don't think it's worth it.

If you don't think it's worth the money then don't pay for it. I do that all the time for other products, can't see any reason why it would be different for KSP2.

I've been playing Kerbal Space Program for about ten years now, so it felt like a no brainer to get the game day 1.  I figured it's been in development for years now, so even if it's coming out in EA that it'd probably be playable enough ---  lacking some features from the first game but with a promise for those and more to come back down the line.  I was excited for the improved graphics and tightened-up gameplay, and just all around looking forward to playing KSP2.

I basically spent the final hour before the game launched refreshing the steam page listing over and over.   The $50 price felt a little steep, especially compared to the $20 I spent on KSP back in its own Early Access days, but I figured why not.  I buy it, launch it, and get ready to play.

Immediately, I run into a bunch of issues, both game-breaking and quality of life alike.

The VAB camera controls were very odd.  No idea why they changed those without leaving a legacy option ---  that kind of thing has been commonplace for ages when established games change their camera mechanics like that, hasn't it?
Various issues with actually using the VAB cropped up.  No easy way to view per-stage Delta-V, you can't shift click to move the whole craft, and the GUI is massive and clunky.
When trying to use symmetry to put wings on my outer boosters, it did some strange 2x symmetry glitch so that all four boosters were given 2 wings:  one where I wanted it, and one on the opposite side clipping into my core stage.  I was forced to put them on one by one.
Fuel crossfeed just does not work like you'd expect, and the GUI is awful for actually knowing when your outer stages run out, leaving your core stage just as likely to be spent and rendering fuel lines null.

The performance is abysmal.  I can run KSP1 with every visual mod under the sun and have no issues (I have a 3050), but I can't even run KSP2's lowest settings and get a serviceable framerate if i'm looking anywhere near a celestial body.

When I quicksaved and quickloaded around Mun, the Mun arch teleported to my craft and made my ship crash, destroying the mission I'd been on.
When I made my Kerbal EVA, the pod he was EVAing from exploded and destroyed my mission.
Ships are more wobbly than ever, even with struts holding everything together (about as well as scotch tape).

Maneuver notes are clunky and uncomfortable.
The orbital conics system is so hard to read and just doesn't work right in its current state when trying to plot encounters.
The camera requires painful amounts of dragging for the smallest motions.

I understood going in that the game was Early Access, but it is into its fourth year of development, with a $50 price tag.  Not only that, but Steam urges those releasing things in early access to release based on the promise and price of what currently is present, not what will be.  I paid $50 for a glorified tech demo that broke whenever I even breathed on it.

I opted to refund the game and spend some of the money I got back on Taco Bell, which currently proved to be a more enjoyable investment.  I'll watch from the sidelines and see if they can fix the game, and if they do then I'll probably get it when it's on sale or something.  Until then, I'm perfectly content playing KSP1, because my god there's so much content left for me to explore even after 10 years.

I'm sure the people at Private Division are working hard, but sometimes it's not a matter of hard work, but good work.  You can spent all day digging a hole with a spoon, but I'm not gonna commend you when you could've just used a shovel.

1 minute ago, regex said:

If you don't think it's worth the money then don't pay for it. I do that all the time for other products, can't see any reason why it would be different for KSP2.

I'm not, as I said.

But I also feel that opinion, if it exists in the minds of long time players, is worth voicing on the game's forums.

18 hours ago, Kubas_inko said:

Luckily we got the stats to back it up e.g. steam reviews (people are not happy with it and some, not all, are getting a refund just like me) and steam hardware surveys (if you can't run it, why listen to recommendations?)

I don't know if I am alone with this, but I don't mind paying pretty much anything, if it is worth it. What we are getting now is not worth $50. It might be worth it in the future once it is fixed and patched, but that is not now.

Me either, having serious buyers remorse, I suppose some of that is we cant be sure if the roadmap will happen. Now some could say we p[aid $50, you got our cash now fix it up, but that sounds too entitled.

I'm hoping it will get patched up (why couldn't it be on something other than unity anyways?) and we'll see improvements.

I can agree on day one comments, but it definitively is not at and EA state, I agree with those calling it an alpha. 

So I'll hang on to it,  and play a little until they release their first patch or upgrade release. By largest gripe is screen res (I know about the json file) but the UI still IMO is too small to read some of it.

Really, what the heck happened? KSP2 was slated for release YEARS back. I can understand delays due to covid, or just extra time for development. But what they have released is just... Nothing... This game has been in the works for YEARS, and has nothing. What have they been doing with all that time?

I was at least expecting one or two of the much bragged about new features to be present. Base building, or multiplayer, or... well... anything?

Underneath the bugs that render the current version damn near unplayable, this barely passes as retexture of the original, with features taken *OUT* and bugs added *IN*

Something has gone terribly, terribly wrong here. KSP2 is either the result of MONUMENTAL laziness, or Squad has some serious internal issues going on, forcing them to release the game in this state. This is seriously not even the quality I expect from an early access game, and that's not much.

My question is: what happened? Is Squad in trouble? There is a reason for this mess, surely someone knows the story?

I'm disappointed in the state of the game, but more than that, I'm worried Squad will never fulfil the potential of KSP2. 

Edited by Crash Tack

15 minutes ago, Crash Tack said:

Really, what the heck happened? KSP2 was slated for release YEARS back. I can understand delays due to covid, or just extra time for development. But what they have released is just... Nothing... This game has been in the works for YEARS, and has nothing. What have they been doing with all that time?

I was at least expecting one or two of the much bragged about new features to be present. Base building, or multiplayer, or... well... anything?

Underneath the bugs that render the current version damn near unplayable, this barely passes as retexture of the original, with features taken *OUT* and bugs added *IN*

Something has gone terribly, terribly wrong here. KSP2 is either the result of MONUMENTAL laziness, or Squad has some serious internal issues going on, forcing them to release the game in this state. This is seriously not even the quality I expect from an early access game, and that's not much.

My question is: what happened? Is Squad in trouble? There is a reason for this mess, surely someone knows the story?

I'm disappointed in the state of the game, but more than that, I'm worried Squad will never fulfil the potential of KSP2. 

Squad has nothing do to with ksp2. Think you have some catching up to do:sticktongue:

21 minutes ago, RW-1 said:

I'm hoping it will get patched up (why couldn't it be on something other than unity anyways?) and we'll see improvements.

The Unity bit was obvious as they are Unity devs. But it was pretty limiting for KSP 1 and I doubt that it changed for KSP 2. I am sure that they can work their magic around it (if T2 lets them). But there is a reason why bigger games are in UE.

Edited by Kubas_inko

41 minutes ago, Fullmetal Analyst said:

i can only agree with everything you said, except the first point:

the camera controls in VAB are much improved, just hold MMB to scroll up/down, or just click MMB on a part to focus view on it

That's fair.  I think the MMB focus view aspect was the part that made it most tedious (since I kept accidentally getting forced to focus on a part when trying to scroll)

1 hour ago, Superfluous J said:

I'm not, as I said.

But I also feel that opinion, if it exists in the minds of long time players, is worth voicing on the game's forums.

This is my feeling, and what made me back down from purchasing yesterday.  

I saw so many long-time modders, representing 1000s of hours of time in the game, who were accustomed and familiar with buggy and incomplete modules because they are modders and it hasn't stopped them before  -  coming out and saying it wasn't there yet.  And when those people say it isn't there - you can rest assured it isn't.  

When the core of your audience is so invested in the game that they spend hours building content for it - when the people who have interfaced with the Devs during the whole process, during the original game, and right up until the launch are excited - pick it up and say, "Hm, this isn't there yet", it's not because they're mad at 50 dollars.  It's because they know exactly what an early release is, and what the work entails, and have a very educated opinion on where the game should be based on timeline and decision to release.  And it isn't where their educated and experienced analysis would put the game, were it actually ready.

Edited by Bosun

Yehh I do have some catching up to do... I've not kept up with the behind the scenes stuff. It's Intercept & private division now huh? Hand up, I did have to google that.

And yes, I understand early access and play a lot of early access games. They are usually at least playable, considering you have to pay for it. It should come AFTER alpha testing...

I wasn't really asking about either of these things though... Why has the game been released in this state?

I'm not looking to start an argument here, It's a genuine question.

6 minutes ago, Crash Tack said:

I wasn't really asking about either of these things though... Why has the game been released in this state?

Probably because Take Two (the publisher) wants some returns finally and wants to see if it will be worth it. So far it does not look that good.

Edited by Kubas_inko