KSP2 EA Grand Discussion Thread.

James Kerman

1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

Why you think, for example, that corrupt saves cannot be fixed whatsoever and must 100% be a deep-rooted problem is beyond me.

I never said that I didn't think that they can be fixed, I'm just saying that it's an ominous problem for future stability. As an example, KSP1's console releases had a similar problem with saves corrupting, and in order to fix that they had to essentially abandon the former version of the game and completely rewrite large portions of the game, resulting in the "Enhanced Edition." Before you say that I don't understand that KSP1's console release is different from KSP2, I'm just making a comparison here. Ultimately neither of us know for sure whether it's deep-rooted or a superficial issue, but I think that saves getting corrupted is less likely to be superficial problem.

1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

And then you proceed to assert in a very sure manner that A. you can't fix a game that's only three years old and B. that the game's foundations are shaky when they really aren't.

I mean, look at the state of the game right now and tell me that that's not shaky. You have craft falling apart on quick load. Even when that gets fixed, it could spawn other issues. It was impossible to rid KSP1 of every issue because of the way it was designed. It's possible that KSP2 will be similar, with many issues being unsolvable because, as you said, it was rushed out only being 3 years old. Already, it has inherited many of those issues, such as poor performance, large crafts behaving iffy or when multiple are near each other, etc.

On 2/24/2023 at 12:17 PM, Elfmaze said:

And yes, it has problems, but they will fix them. No point in refunding until then as your going to buy the game anyway when its " complete"

I wholeheartedly agree.  The $50 is just fine in my mind as proof of community backing.  In many ways it is akin to kick start.  I sincerely hope that the infusion gets us a 0.1.1 version out soon.  I am incredibly disconcerted with just how raw this is.  The press is bad, the frustrations in doing thing is horrible once you lift off....  I honestly don't even feel like this is closed beta quality yet and I hope that the studio gets some hefty communication out about the road map on thing BEFORE Science SOON!

I want to play KSP2 more; but honestly, I am on the verge of putting a lot of those hours into a new run of KSP1 with Bluedog and other historical things.

Thankfully the PD store gave me a refund. I just couldn't take it any more. Not the rover that could only drive in reverse, at 13m/s, because of some mysterious force that pulled it backwards at 13m/s. Not the startling explosions when going EVA. Not the bizarrely changing orbits, the disapperaring fuel, the rotated-90-degrees KSC camera, or the hell that breaks loose on so many save/load cycles. I was hesitant to start a mission because my time was probably going to be wasted by bugs in the physics engine. If the game is fixed to a level where fun > dread then I'll happily buy it again at that stage. It is "if", not "when", because this publisher demands ongoing and growing financial results, and the product as it stands is not capable of delivering them.

17 minutes ago, ThexLoneWolf said:

Does anyone know if Intercept will release the KSP 2 OST? Or at least where I can find it in the game files?

They're doing a feature video about the making of the soundtrack sometime this summer, so likely it'll be released then.  Just my thoughts at least

21 minutes ago, ThexLoneWolf said:

Does anyone know if Intercept will release the KSP 2 OST? Or at least where I can find it in the game files?

There are links to the soundtrack here, but embedded in this message is also a comment telling you how to extract them yourself if you also want to look at SFX and stuff.

Once you have copied the WEM files from KSP 2 and the contents of vgmstream-win.zip into one folder, drag all the WEM files onto test.exe and it should convert them all to WAV. Once you have that, you can drag all of them into a DAW like REAPER, and see what interesting things you can find - this should be more efficient than opening the WAV files individually. You can also enable spectrograms in REAPER and see what looks the most interesting.

95073679.wem is probably the most fascinating so far, but it's so far detached from the atmosphere of KSP 1 and even the parts of KSP 2 we have access to so far that I wouldn't doubt the possibility of it relating to end game content.

7 minutes ago, TLTay said:

I'm hearing from reddit that the ads have been pulled from meta. Has anyone seen any ads within the last day or so? None are coming up on youtube either.

Not a great sign. It has only been a week.

I've seen multiple google ads today.

On 2/26/2023 at 9:43 AM, SilverWolf said:

You cannot morally ask consumers to pay finished-product value for an unfinished-product, let alone a product that is still in alpha, or even beta.  Early access does not mean an alpha or beta release; it means you think the product is ready to launch.  

I think you’re confusing commercial reasonability with morality.  
Either way, that’s not what’s happening with the EA pricing.  We’re getting the EA at a discount.  And we got full disclosure as to the roadmap and condition of the game at EA.

On 3/3/2023 at 11:14 AM, Periple said:

I think they've indicated that supply route automation will be "abstracted out" -- that is, once you've got it set up, the supplies will just magically be subtracted from the source and added to the destination whenever the route is supposed to be run. So they might not be simulating the actual flights.

That’d be sad if they did it that way.  It makes space piracy in multiplayer impossible.

is there any timeline when we can get roadmap updates? I bought the game in day one and went to mun and come back. since than I never played the game because it is not playable. so i will wait for the updates but I couldn't see any timeline 

20 minutes ago, Ekerci said:

is there any timeline when we can get roadmap updates? I bought the game in day one and went to mun and come back. since than I never played the game because it is not playable. so i will wait for the updates but I couldn't see any timeline 

A patch will be out in 1-3 weeks. Roadmap updates will roll out when they're ready.

1 hour ago, Ekerci said:

I think they're going to be VERY careful about announcing any timelines because if and when they slip, people are going to be even more upset. Expect patches when you see them.

I think they're on a 2-4 week sprint cycle so that'll be more or less the cadence, exact dates depending on how long it'll take for a build to pass QA and whether they'll just hold it back and roll the fixes into the next one if it's really borked.

Since I like guessing, I'll guess that there's a 60% chance of the first patch dropping this week, 30% next week, and 10% after that.

There seem to be a couple of camps here.  The first one, insofar as I can translate, seem to be saying [my PC is a potato and I am upset], [$50 is a lot of money to me and I am upset], [I did not read the roadmap and watch the ESA insider vids and I am upset that the game has bugs and is not feature complete], and [I cared deeply about ethics in video game journalism and am happy I have found KSP2’s development to be upset about].  

A lot of this camp is also saying, for a combination of the foregoing reasons [I’m not good enough at the game to design stable craft or fly anything], [I am the sort of person who has no patience and ragequits at the first setback], [I refuse to acknowledge any reality where people are enjoying playing the game and substitute my own], and [based on a week’s partial and cherry-picked data and a complete lack of insight into TT’s balance sheet and strategic plan, I predict the imminent cancellation of the project].

It’s so repetitive and predictable that the mods could set up a ticky-box form post and little to nothing of value would be lost.  Also, anybody feel like designing a bingo card for the rest of us?

The next camp seem to be saying “wow that’s a lot of bugs”, and “here’s a workaround”.  Or “I am disappointed but understand how Early Access works/trust the devs”.  Or “the code has already got a huge chunk of the roadmap built in, much of what is here is a huge improvement over the first game and I have  a modicum of patience”.  And some are even saying “the bugs are a great simulation of the early days of human spaceflight where we had no clue and things just failed for no good reason, making the engineers and scientists have the high point of their careers solving those issues”.

Well, on that last one, it’s just me that’s saying it, so far, but anyhow, I know which camp I want to be in.  Have a great second week of EA, everyone, and Intercept peeps, hammer onwards!

4 hours ago, Vl3d said:

A patch will be out in 1-3 weeks. Roadmap updates will roll out when they're ready.

Before anyone takes this as an official announcement, note that it is @Vl3d's interpretation of a vaguer statement. What the devs actually said was (emphasis added):

On 3/3/2023 at 7:40 PM, Nate Simpson said:

Our first Early Access update, which is planned to take place in the next couple of weeks

There is no commitment specifically for 1–3 weeks.

Edited by HebaruSan

20 hours ago, Stuntel said:

I've seen multiple google ads today.

or you aware of how adds and highjacks malware and so on  work.    you been watching and sourcing ksp2 info why you waited for the day 1.  there for you had a lot of adds on ksp2.   now that you have the game there is no need for you.  them adds or gone.   so you 1#  turned off don't show this add.  2#  you been looking other stuff up that over rights the ksp2 adds.   now your getting adds for that car part you looking for. or news on what's going on with wars .    i am still getting adds in YouTube and other meta type sites  and funny how you called it meta instead of fb.     you must be new.  or a Starbucks kid.   sorry  meta is a stock up name they stole. and money talks  just like fb stole oculus and just about everything else out there.   back on subject ,  you adds have been overtaken by other items you not got yet.  and just cause reedit says its true don't mean its true.  just like going to school learning history to find out they changed it so much that they don't even know the truth.   wait to you get into collage.  history magically changes .

2 minutes ago, dragonart777 said:

or you aware of how adds and highjacks malware and so on  work.    you been watching and sourcing ksp2 info why you waited for the day 1.  there for you had a lot of adds on ksp2.   now that you have the game there is no need for you.  them adds or gone.   so you 1#  turned off don't show this add.  2#  you been looking other stuff up that over rights the ksp2 adds.   now your getting adds for that car part you looking for. or news on what's going on with wars .    i am still getting adds in YouTube and other meta type sites  and funny how you called it meta instead of fb.     you must be new.  or a Starbucks kid.   sorry  meta is a stock up name they stole. and money talks  just like fb stole oculus and just about everything else out there.   back on subject ,  you adds have been overtaken by other items you not got yet.  and just cause reedit says its true don't mean its true.  just like going to school learning history to find out they changed it so much that they don't even know the truth.   wait to you get into collage.  history magically changes .

sorry that was ment for TLTay     

On 2/24/2023 at 11:00 AM, drhay53 said:

I agree that the graphics just feel.....weird. Something is off that I can't quite put my finger on. Playing on a 3070ti and a ryzen 5 3600. That said, the stock rovers and planes feel pretty good to control, and exploring KSC is pretty fun. No real plans on anything major to do, just exploring.

Yall know the uncanny valley, right? I think thats what we’re getting with the graphics. Yes, I know that the uncanny valley applies to humanoids, but the parts look real“ish”. The ground looks real“ish. The clouds look real“ish”. Everything seems off. On kerbin and other atmospheric planets, you can see a bit too far, but not to the point of non-shaded ksp 1. Its odd…

22 hours ago, TLTay said:

I'm hearing from reddit that the ads have been pulled from meta. Has anyone seen any ads within the last day or so? None are coming up on youtube either.

Not a great sign. It has only been a week.

I have never seen a ksp ad. Never. On all omnipotent beings, I can’t remember the existence of one.

Edited by Fletch4
Grammar. Yay.

Also, just a thought, but what if when one turned on rigid attachment, it “welded” them together and calculated them as a new part, and was saved in a temporary cache? Then you would have less joints and therefore less wobble. Ofc, this would mostly make sense for fuel tanks, and not much else.

1 minute ago, Fletch4 said:

Also, just a thought, but what if when one turned on rigid attachment, it “welded” them together and calculated them as a new part, and was saved in a temporary cache? Then you would have less joints and therefore less wobble. Ofc, this would mostly make sense for fuel tanks, and not much else.

This is a good idea that has been thrown out there a a couple o' few times and there is/was a mod that tries to do this.  The problem was trying to merge the various part modules within the parts when the were duplicates or conflicting, or so I gather