KSP2 EA Grand Discussion Thread.

James Kerman

9 minutes ago, Uuky said:

guess: Science mode will be issued in July

If you are correct, that means they have tamed the current Kraken, gotten the pieces picked up, the whole train reassembled, put back on the tracks and are chugging down the road in the direction the hype train led us to believe was possible /probable. 

I know there is 'speculation' about if KSP1 code was used, partly due to some of the same bugs re-emerging.   Naturally I don't know but...

Even if not, both games gave the same physics problems to solve, so it's not illogical that similar results could appear even through different causes.

Eg.  You have two cars that each have a tyre that deflates.  One has a puncture, the other has a damaged rim.  Both display the same symptoms in the same way (flat tyre) but the causes (and fixes) are quite different. 

11 minutes ago, Manul said:

What is the drama of Star Citizen? Except of being in development for over 10 years :D

I dont get it either - i dont know how they did it but they actually made me invest into an - sorry but - insane way to big idea of an awesome game - and im okay with them taking their time as long as i get the feeling that they are working on it.

I just recently looked into it since i have the version with Squadron 42 - i think it was "released in 2014"? ^^

I hope that even if it fails some of that awesome tech will just get used by new games.

But even so - even Star Citizen with its insane scope is and was cheaper than the EA of KSP2 ...

I think i paid 45 USD for Star Citizen including Squadron 42

Trailers like this still make me want to play the game - and thats already 8 years old:

But its the same with KSP2 (when it comes to trailers making me want to play the game) i really liked this trailer - cant believe its already 3 years:

Edited by Moons

4 minutes ago, pandaman said:

Even if not, both games gave the same physics problems to solve, so it's not illogical that similar results could appear even through different causes.

There is just one cause: both games use the same physical model, craft is a tree structure of rigidbodies connected by UnityJoints. This approach proved to be faulty in KSP 1 and now it's used in KSP 2 with exactly the same result. The cause of a problem is built-in Unity physics that doesn't simulate multiple rigidbody connections correctly, especially with huge mass differences between connected parts. Fixing this issue the right way would require   writing a new physical model from scratch and the devs were not given enough time for this.

21 minutes ago, Moons said:

I dont get it either - i dont know how they did it but they actually made me invest into an - sorry but - insane way to big idea of an awesome game - and im okay with them taking their time as long as i get the feeling that they are working on it.

They made people pay for a dream that we all have after playing 90s and early 00s spacesims like Starlancer, Independence War or Privateer: get out off a pilot seat, take a walk around your ship, dock to the station and explore it's interiors, land on a planet and explore the whole planet. We began to dream about a game like Star Citizen decades ago, so another 5 or 10 years don't make a difference. :D

1 hour ago, Manul said:

What is the drama of Star Citizen? Except of being in development for over 10 years :D

It's a real drama. Longer than Game of Throne with Henry Cavill and Gillian Anderson. There is some nepotism, real deception of pledgers and there was some real excrementsstorms for months against the "mismanagement" and the constant roadmap of roadmap changes of the game (which is an euphemism).   Even the fanbase was blamed by CIG for the changes CIG made. 

Worth the pop corn.

4 hours ago, Moons said:

But even so - even Star Citizen with its insane scope is and was cheaper than the EA of KSP2 ...

I think i paid 45 USD for Star Citizen including Squadron 42

Star Citizen is filled to the brim with DLC ships that can cost upwards of several hundred dollars each. $45 is the most bare-bones starter ship's price, but grinding with a starter ship is... not easy. I'm not the biggest fan of the $50 price tag, but at least KSP2 doesn't have any DLC (yet).

Edited by obney kerman

5 minutes ago, obney kerman said:

Star Citizen is filled to the brim with DLC ships that can cost upwards of several hundred dollars each.

Unlike DCS world DLC aircrafts it's possible to get SC ships by in-game ways, so they aren't actual DLCs :D

On 3/7/2023 at 12:20 AM, Periple said:

Oh that’s too bad! Why are you so upset about the state of the game then if you’re not even allowed to play it? With any luck by the time you are, it’ll be in a much better state!

I was worried about the game long before it came out. It is naive to believe that T2 will be able to shut up all those who disagree in this way

On 3/7/2023 at 10:06 AM, RocketBoy1641 said:

Because hot fixes are more likely to cause new problems that people will scream about.  Did you even read what Nate posted in this thread?

It looks like the whole game is now a hotfix, would have kept it a couple more years until the release, so that there would not be so many negative reviews.

2 hours ago, Manul said:

Unlike DCS world DLC aircrafts it's possible to get SC ships by in-game ways, so they aren't actual DLCs :D

It's still very, very impractical to get enough in-game currency to buy most of the larger ships in only the $45 starter ship. And when the game website's catalogue of ships has a search field that looks like this, it's hard to argue that it's less expensive than KSP2.

Kh9fRhL.png

(No argument on the mention of DCS world though, that game's DLC system is... yikes.)

10 hours ago, pandaman said:

both games gave the same physics problems to solve, so it's not illogical that similar results could appear even through different causes

I wish this was stickied in giant, flashing letters at the top of the forums.  The ease with which people will jump to conclusions is mind-boggling.

I just realized ksp2 has credits and it lists both intercept games workers and star theory workers. The star theory section of the credits doesnt include people who didnt get laid off but we know that star theory had at least 10 engineers compared to Intercepts 20. This is good evidence towards ksp2 getting more funding after being bought out

I have tried to  be positive about KSP2 and tell myself it will get better but at this stage  I just dont like it. I dont like the cheesy digital type interface, I dont like the VAB construction sequence VAB is very dark compared to KSP1 , it really should have an aircraft hangar to build aircraft KSC 2 is huge the runways are huge and no aircraft hangar  I guess the budget didnt extend that far.  I do like the lauchpads they are very cool. The compass and flight controls, time warp all look like they came fom early 2000's computer games and the big green button that says go is very annoying the staging icons look terrible as the match the build icons again terrible at this stage i am prity disappointed but it is early access so i hope they polish it up over the next few releases but at this stage I am going back to ksp 1

On 3/4/2023 at 1:44 PM, RocketBoy1641 said:

I wholeheartedly agree.  The $50 is just fine in my mind as proof of community backing.  In many ways it is akin to kick start.  I sincerely hope that the infusion gets us a 0.1.1 version out soon.  I am incredibly disconcerted with just how raw this is.  The press is bad, the frustrations in doing thing is horrible once you lift off....  I honestly don't even feel like this is closed beta quality yet and I hope that the studio gets some hefty communication out about the road map on thing BEFORE Science SOON!

I want to play KSP2 more; but honestly, I am on the verge of putting a lot of those hours into a new run of KSP1 with Bluedog and other historical things.

Yeah I've tried some things.  But I like building space stations... And that's hard enough without everything vanishing and glitching after three hours of work

On 3/8/2023 at 3:57 AM, Wheehaw Kerman said:

Dell gaming laptop with a higher than recommended CPU and a GPU slightly above minimum: I7 12700 4.7ghz, GTX 3060 6GB.  FPS tend to bottom out around 20fps at KSC with graphics settings maxed, better in space.

First weekend I was running an I5 with a 1050ti - still playable.

thats weird man, i tried on an i5 with a 2060s, and 2 i9's one with 4070ti and 1 4090. all absolute crap14/15 fps on the first and the other 2 16/17fps. and bugged up the wazoo

2 minutes ago, Space Kadet said:

thats weird man, i tried on an i5 with a 2060s, and 2 i9's one with 4070ti and 1 4090. all absolute crap14/15 fps on the first and the other 2 16/17fps. and bugged up the wazoo

It really does seem hardware-dependent.  I’m not technically sophisticated enough to understand how or why this is the case, but it certainly was playable, if barely, on the 1050ti.  I got to the Mün and Jool on that, and on the 3060 I’ve been to the Mün and Duna and faffed around with some airplanes and rovers - framerates are absolutely playable.

Both machines are stock unmodified Dell gaming laptops - I wonder whether it’s a lowest common denominator thing?

https://discord.com/channels/1039959585949237268/1080246925699326032/1083490195946618970

A few messages popped up on the dev tracker channel. No update this week according to Mike, but Dakota says news tomorrow!

Tangentially related, is there a less esoteric way to reference discord posts? Other than by opening Discord? I'd take a screenshot and just paste that but then I just feel old.

Edited by Stoup

On 3/8/2023 at 2:33 PM, pandaman said:

I know there is 'speculation' about if KSP1 code was used, partly due to some of the same bugs re-emerging.   Naturally I don't know but...

Eg.  You have two cars that each have a tyre that deflates.  One has a puncture, the other has a damaged rim.  Both display the same symptoms in the same way (flat tyre) but the causes (and fixes) are quite different. 

your analagy is wrong, the same issues are that far appart as 2 tyres deflating. this is 2 cars that look the same like a ford fiesta mk4 and a masda 121, and they both have the same issue where you put in the key, they start the same and then without doing anything the engine starts knocking and you loose power.  They are related because so much is the same. 

As pointed out, just from a buisness perspective if you have a game and you want to make a very similar one but better, it makes no sence at all to ignore the previous games code. And then we have the fact the overlords are T2 games, u think they care about artistic vision....

19 minutes ago, Casellina X said:

Much more preferable than taking a picture of your screen with another device... or the tried and true path to the picture on your local machine.

Then you need to print it, and then take a photo of the paper, preferably in terrible light, like some yellow lamp, where half of the print is in your own shadow.