Kerbal Space Program 2 - Pre-Release Notes

Intercept Games

7 hours ago, AlphaMensae said:

This emphasises the "Early" in Early Access. This is not the final game, far from it. It's like a mix of pre-v0.13.3 KSP and the v1.1 Experimentals builds that Squad released, and those were a buggy mess. :D 

pre0.13.3 and 0.18, because we'll having docking out of the gate this time.

You could go on and on, because pretty much every version added something that KSP2 already has.

0.19 added rover wheels and more structural parts, 0.20 added command seats, flags and a bunch of parts, 0.21 added astronaut complex, 0.22 added... Ah, science mode, we're not there yet.

31 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

You could go on and on, because pretty much every version added something that KSP2 already has.

0.19 added rover wheels and more structural parts, 0.20 added command seats, flags and a bunch of parts, 0.21 added astronaut complex, 0.22 added... Ah, science mode, we're not there yet.

Ah, yes, 0.22. "We'll start with the basics of science, and work our way up to something more complete". And so adds a tech tree, KSC tiers, then proceeds to give up and let it fester for the rest of the game's history. Fun times!

10 hours ago, BeastHunter said:

Three years of work and airbrakes don’t work

You think there's, like, an entire game besides the one part that they need to work on?

10 hours ago, BeastHunter said:

I like the new VAB but the lack of creatures after so much delays is incredibly disappointing.

The lack of, er, what?

6 hours ago, Monger said:

As someone who spent probably half of their game time in VAB, I greatly appreciate  the paradigm shift you are trying to do. Very eager to try it out myself. 

Indeed. Considering that KSP 1's vessel select menu almost always opened with a 0.5 - 5 second lag spike depending on how many vessels you have (no Squad, folders do not help that much), and that either way switching saved vessels to work on a massive multivessel project was a massive timesink, having this is going to be a massive game changer.

It is sad the game at launch will have less in certain areas than its predecessor. However, I'm hopeful that the EA will go smoothly, and expect the weeks and months afterwards that issues will be fixed and features/content added a steady if not rapid cadence.

Does anybody knows how often will they release a new version during the early access? They had a session at ESA on Feb. 9 which is two weeks before the early access starts. My guess that they work in a two weeks sprints to iterate/increment the KSP2, which would mean that they would deliver at least in every two weeks, once a feature is ready to open for EA.

5 hours ago, DancZer said:

Does anybody knows how often will they release a new version during the early access? They had a session at ESA on Feb. 9 which is two weeks before the early access starts. My guess that they work in a two weeks sprints to iterate/increment the KSP2, which would mean that they would deliver at least in every two weeks, once a feature is ready to open for EA.

No one can tell you that, not even the devs. But it is to be expected that they will try to tackle and solve problems as quickly and comprehensively as possible for their own sake.

There will be some problems that can be fixed quickly, others, where you have to get deeply involved in the code, may take longer. The perfidious thing is that the help of the users is very useful here. So anyone who notices something should report it. The more and the quicker this comes from us, the quicker we can react in the other place.

We will need patience (what an unspeakable idea), but I think it will be worth it... 

11 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

The lack of, er, what?

Yep, got me there. I meant to say features, unless it’s a good idea to scream at the dev team to stop everything and make fully animated and  ground creatures on Kerbin in a space game. I assume they just spent lots of time on the features added later during early access. However, I’ve warmed up to the game some more after watching about two hours of all the preview event videos. 

On 2/17/2023 at 12:32 PM, Intercept Games said:

As we push processes out of the main thread

The implications here are such a great thing to see! KSP 1 was famously single-threaded. The potential performance gains here cannot be understated.

Twin Boar

Aw man! There go the two parts to Minmus videos!

1 hour ago, jfjohnny5 said:

The implications here are such a great thing to see! KSP 1 was famously single-threaded. The potential performance gains here cannot be understated.

Aye, I second that notion!

On 2/17/2023 at 1:32 PM, Intercept Games said:

The all-new training center provides players with sequential lessons that teach the basics of spaceflight, starting with core concepts and then moving into simulated flights that give you an opportunity to try out what you’ve learned.

I wonder if this could be a hint that we could have some sort of simulation capabilities for the upcoming career mode.  And I see that it was recently mentioned in the Suggestions forum.

20 hours ago, Xelo said:

How do we know for sure its the physics thats lagging and not just extra parts being drawn? 0:

When Everyday Astronaut was playing, the lag ended the moment he staged away his boosters. This is the exact behavior we see now with KSP1 being single thread CPU limited. The GPU would be doing the same or more work rendering the same parts; but the CPU's main physics thread suddenly offloaded 8 boosters to their own threads.

I'd just like to say that I'm super excited to try the game on day 1. I'll gladly report any bugs and/or issues that I find. :happy:

I'll test the game on both of my systems:

Spoiler

(1: PC i5-12400F, RTX3070Ti, 16GB RAM;

2: Laptop R7-4800h, RTX3050Ti mobile, 16GB RAM)

I'm really curious if I'm gonna feel a big differnce in performance as I don't really notice it in KSP 1.

3 hours ago, lordcirth said:

When Everyday Astronaut was playing, the lag ended the moment he staged away his boosters. This is the exact behavior we see now with KSP1 being single thread CPU limited. The GPU would be doing the same or more work rendering the same parts; but the CPU's main physics thread suddenly offloaded 8 boosters to their own threads.

O mighty @K^2 , I dare to ask for your insight on this theory.

Joking aside this should be at least adjacent to your area of expertise, am I wrong?

It's something that sounds obvious to me but I wouldn't want to reinforce misinformation or misinterpretations of facts.

4 hours ago, Joker58th said:

I wonder if this could be a hint that we could have some sort of simulation capabilities for the upcoming career mode.  And I see that it was recently mentioned in the Suggestions forum.

True - if they let you choose the craft for the simulation.  Going from the VAB to the training center could be tedious to simulate your current design however.  On the otherhand, building switch apparently is vastly improved so far, but IMO is all dependent on the memory your PC has - if you have to resort to using virtual memory, I expect a significant delay.

5 hours ago, AtomicTech said:

Twin Boar

Aw man! There go the two parts to Minmus videos!

;.; Minmus or not, that is the one engine I cannot live without. I event built my first SSTO by strapping wings and fuel tanks to one. It will be sad to see it go. And unless it's the engine plates, I'm not sure where the "improved flexibility" of the new engine systems comes into play.