Kerbal Space Program 2 - Pre-Release Notes

Intercept Games

9 hours ago, J.Random said:

how do these people which don't have mouse wheel zoom in and out

pinch on trackpad ? 

Look, I think you seriously missed my point here. Point is not that

- "not everybody has a scroll wheel"

but rather:

- Not always what may see as a simple solution might be a valid choice from multi-platform / multi-hardware interface design point of view.

I don't know why they didn't go with the scroll wheel, but I wouldn't assume that they didn't had their reason (even if invalid) for it.

On 2/25/2023 at 10:57 AM, tstein said:

True but that complexity can be solved at design time and  pre stored. All the non tank  nodes can  be mapped on if they are reachable  from each tank  without passing for a decoupler and   everything that can be reached  by tank A can be  treated as a single same  enter point.  It is  simple transitivity.  If  A can reach  C trough B then C and B are the same node for this  purpose and all vertex leading to C or B can be merged. It is simply the finite automata simplification algorithm. That reduces  the number of vertex    drastically. That is how we did  in the 80's We did not care for  EVERY single sewage entrance  but for every connection that was reachable by one.  Surely it is not easy to test as a human,  but you do  make a generated set of scenarios and compare your simulation with an FMM (plenty of implementations ready to use) if your results  are different.. you have a bug.

I really hope it is not a bug in the fuel transfer because  that is a very bad prospect for QA of the game. If it is a PhysX issue at least it is more understandable.

I think this lack of precomputing explains many performance issues, but especially this one.  Also, looking at the patterns in bug reports there seems to be many instances that would be extreme scope violations in well modularized code.  Which makes one wonder how well modularized it is.  Examples are flight UI appearing in VAB, mun arch or KSC from previous scene spawning next to craft in orbit, etc

Edited by darthgently

On the topic of this scroll wheel debate, I eagerly await the ability to rebind the rest of the controls and change their sensitivity in this game.

Mouse sensitivity is too low (for me) most places - admittedly I keep mine way higher than the average player, but that's my point here - it should be adjustable because anywhere I find it fine, it's probably way too high for many other people.
The throttle is a similar deal: I actually find it too sensitive by default.

I'm a freak who doesn't like to use the scroll wheel (some kind of neurodivergent thing involving rotating mechanical parts) and preferred to use the + and - keys in KSP1 to zoom, but behold: that's not an option any more.  I don't demand that the control scheme be tailored to me and my unusual tastes, but in the modern world changing controls for accessibility reasons is a very important issue, especially for large studios with large audiences.
There are also keybinds such as F to momentarily toggle SAS that were very useful and are sorely missed.

I really hope these control issues get addressed, and soon!

3 hours ago, problemecium said:

Mouse sensitivity is too low (for me) most places - admittedly I keep mine way higher than the average player, but that's my point here - it should be adjustable because anywhere I find it fine, it's probably way too high for many other people.
The throttle is a similar deal: I actually find it too sensitive by default.

Turn up your dpi for mouse sensitivity; most games that aren’t competitive-based games (cod, Valorant, etc) will not include a sensitivity slider/input.

6 minutes ago, Zozaf Kerman said:

Turn up your dpi for mouse sensitivity; most games that aren’t competitive-based games (cod, Valorant, etc) will not include a sensitivity slider/input.

That's flat out wrong and also implies that mouse sensitivity somehow has no use outside FPS

6 hours ago, tstein said:

oo ok  So the game  demands an RTX 4080  to play  correctly  but a scroll wheel .. ooh no that is pushing hardware too much! lol

With prices of gpu's these days I wouldn't be surprised if gamers sold their chairs just to afford it, so don't be surprised if they play on "The Engelbart mouse" ;) 

5 hours ago, Zozaf Kerman said:

Thanks for the tip, but I've already adjusted my OS mouse settings to my comfort, and needing to change them back and forth for a single game is bad UX. The fact that COD and Valorant don't support that doesn't make it okay, it makes those games part of the problem.

And do keep in mind DPI is not infinite. I can't just crank it up to ten thousand because a game shipped with a bad value, because mouse hardware physically can only scan so many intervals within a given physical length (hence the term Dots Per Inch) - and requiring players to buy an expensive high-DPI mouse to fix a bad configuration setting is also bad UX design.

Also KSP 1 had adjustable mouse sensitivity and I was glad to have it. There is no legitimate reason for KSP 2 to choose to step back from this (hence I presume the missing setting is among the many "not yet done" parts). Sorry to sound like I'm lecturing but I wanted to cover all my bases here lol

Edited by problemecium

On 2/28/2023 at 5:39 PM, kulzz said:

Does anyone know when the next patch will be released?

On 3/1/2023 at 2:14 AM, GoldForest said:

The only thing we know is "In the coming weeks." 

Could be this week, could be at the end of the month. 

On 3/3/2023 at 3:33 PM, sixteenornumber said:

where is that quote from?

Nerdy Mike told us today that info about the patch should be out soon (days). 

1 minute ago, kulzz said:

Oh great news.  I hope I can at least run the game without rituals

Note: all he said is 'info about the patch' would be out soon - leaving open the possibility of getting a patch notes post and still waiting for the actual patch. 

Don't put away the monkey paw just yet! 

On 2/27/2023 at 7:01 PM, JeanRenaud said:

I think you need to remove a "zero" from your number.

My GTX2080 Mobile on my roughly 4-year old laptop is able to more or less handle the graphics at near max, but I also have 32Gb of RAM... So it appears that if you have enough RAM, it makes up for some of the visual issues that people may be having...

6 hours ago, Flyboy8088 said:

My GTX2080 Mobile on my roughly 4-year old laptop is able to more or less handle the graphics at near max, but I also have 32Gb of RAM... So it appears that if you have enough RAM, it makes up for some of the visual issues that people may be having...

My RTX 3070 mobile handles the game fine too, to be honest I'd be willing to wager that 95% of the performance issues are CPU side anyway. It's like the first game where a single (of sixteen) cores is maxed out, with some light loading on a couple of others. So physics is still being pumped through one chonk of a thread through a single core, the GPU can't be a bottleneck if that is the bottleneck. My 3070 doesn't even get that warm when playing on highest settings at 1080P with max anti-aliasing.

• 2 months later...
On 2/17/2023 at 9:32 PM, Intercept Games said:

Modding

One final note - we take modding very seriously, and we're looking forward to working alongside our counterparts in the community to improve the moddability of KSP2. As stability and performance improve, we will continue to devote resources to opening up more areas of the game to modders during Early Access. Our first modding priority in the coming months will be to provide greater access to part modders. We'll release more information on modding support once Early Access is underway.

What about modding? It's been a few months now with no news.

7 minutes ago, GGG-GoodGuyGreg said:

So it appears they weren't talking about the months so far, so it must be the future coming months

I hope this does not mean about the next 20-30 months