The KSP2 Journey Begins

Nate Simpson

10 hours ago, mcpattyp said:

There has been pretty clear trend in the community's response to the first real gameplay, and this thread is probably going to be read by Nate himself, so I'm not going to continue the nuclear ripping into the game because I think he understands what the community thinks.

But please, focus a large amount of resources in the coming weeks and months on large leaps in optimization. There is no way there is not plenty of headroom for optimization. Your entire early access strategy focuses on player feedback to guide the course of development, but if nobody can run the game sales are going to tank hard, and you wont have the feedback you need, and I assume you guys need sales to continue development, because you are a business. Please, increase accessibility to this game by lowering the monster system requirements. If you don't, there wont be anyone left to play it.

I know this dev team has passion for the game because I saw it in every feature video. It probably hurts to see the negative reaction. Focus up and work your asses off on making this game perform the best it can.

I’m sorry I really don’t understand the community’s response to the GPU requirement.

They literally pegged it to need a 4 year old GPU that was the 6th best of its Nvidia generation (2 newer generations have since been released).  It currently sells for $350 and over 50% of people on steam use better.

Firstly - Nate, I do wish you and the team all the best for the release of KSP2. I can imaging you all pacing back and forth, like an expecting parent hoping for good news.
With all the hard work so far and plenty more still to come down the pipe, I hope this milestone fills you with the necessary positivity and thrill to build bigger and better things as you work through the roadmap.

Had a question as well - does the below comment imply there are 'features' to find or was it a mainly referring to landscape features like craters, canyons and the like?
(By all means pls reset my expectations if needed ;))

On 2/18/2023 at 5:34 AM, Nate Simpson said:

<snip>
Primary goal: Fly to the Mun and get a picture of a Kerbal in front of the most interesting feature you can find
<snip>

Also - will there be any feedback button for those that will be purchasing via direct download? Or is that only for Steam / Epic platforms where the bulk of people will be?

Edited by cyberKerb

On 2/17/2023 at 12:34 PM, Nate Simpson said:

In the meantime, we're bringing back Weekly Challenges!

We intend to mix things up a little bit going forward, but the first challenge will be a classic Achievement Challenge:

• Primary goal: Fly to the Mun and get a picture of a Kerbal in front of the most interesting feature you can find
  • Stretch goal: strand a Kerbal there and pick them up with a second vehicle, returning them safely to Kerbin
  • Jeb-level goal: do any of the above on any other celestial body in the Kerbolar System
  • Val-level goal: pronounce "Mun" correctly

If you want us to see (and maybe share) your achievement, use #KSP2WeeklyChallenge on social media, or share them in our official Discord.

Never played the original weekly challenges but I'm glad they are returning from the start of early access! It gives us something of a standardized goal in lieu of formal campaign progression. I suppose it also channels specific experiences that developers want players to "playtest" and then provide feedback on.

Friday marks the proof of the pudding, so to speak. But this is just the beginning.

We will be able to play in our favourite universe in a whole new dimension.

From the footage posted online by the invitees, we can be sure - there will be bugs. There will be performance limitations. But there will be new features, new interfaces, new ways to interact for both newbies and old-time players.

The essential spirit of the game - the Kerbal way - is well to the fore, it seems clear. Jeb and the rest of our little green friends are in for a lot of fun, zooms and kabooms along the way.

And as the base game is refined and debugged, all those things on the roadmap will follow.

Then - and only then - can we cheer or boo with good reason.

Per Experimentum Et Defectum Ad Astra!!

24 minutes ago, SkyFall2489 said:

Is anyone on the internet counting down somewhere?

https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/launch?iso=20230224T08&p0=24&msg=KSP+2+Early+Access+Launch+&font=slab&csz=1
You have this.

I will add one more challenge, as heating is not added, who can get closest to the sun. Remember getting an ion probe into an circular orbit around the sun just a few kilometer the 0 mark who was still far above the actual surface. 
That is minimum distance? Note in some very early versions of KSP 1 the sun did not have an collider so you could play with the singularity :) 

Second one send an probe into Jool, yes you can do this with heating to but easier now. In later versions of KSP 1 Jool became transparent then you got down to 5 km attitude, you could see the moons on the other side. 
In earlier versions jool had an surface some 200 meter below the crush dept. I used KAS winces and lowered Jeb down to the surface but was unable to plant a flag as the surface was probably an kraken. 

I'm still nervous about what my old favorite Minmus will be like. I know the idea is that it will be glassy rathe than icy, and don't care as long as it still gets to be smooth, lumpy, and shiny.

Also hoping to see an improved mountain range behind KSC, and the old island airfield apear in some form, but I've been too nervous to really look into it

On 2/20/2023 at 9:14 AM, gussi111 said:

I like how you told us that the high spec requirements is because you have the big upcoming features in mind  but actually it's because you are getting 20fps with a slightly larger rocket on an RTX 4080, I hope this will soon be improved?

It's early access.  I can promise you nearly everything will improve.

On 2/20/2023 at 9:20 AM, Catto said:

the pessimism of redditors has scared me and i'm panicking about what to expect or not

The optimism of this forum on what they admitted is an early access product is what frightened me.  You won't even be getting KSP1's level of polish on day 1, IMO.  You SHOULD get a better foundation though.

I didn't expect much., so my dissapointment isn't large  I'll be playing/modding KSP1 largely until it's done, and just dabbling in KSP2.  It'll get there, just give it some time.

PS:  I still wouldn't say no to an early access copy, to help look at modding, bugfinding and such, lol.

Edited by R-T-B

1 hour ago, R-T-B said:

The optimism of this forum on what they admitted is an early access product is what frightened me.  You won't even be getting KSP1's level of polish on day 1, IMO.  You SHOULD get a better foundation though.

I didn't expect much., so my dissapointment isn't large  I'll be playing/modding KSP1 largely until it's done, and just dabbling in KSP2.  It'll get there, just give it some time.

I'm not sure optimism is the right word here. I had my expectations tempered as well with the ea announcement, and I'm still very optimistic for the game. I think it's more that people are keeping too high of expectations for the game's current state, and not taking into consideration on how not ready this game is for a full release, even after the development time it's had so far.

15 minutes ago, Yellowburn10 said:

I'm not sure optimism is the right word here. I had my expectations tempered as well with the ea announcement, and I'm still very optimistic for the game. I think it's more that people are keeping too high of expectations for the game's current state, and not taking into consideration on how not ready this game is for a full release, even after the development time it's had so far.

Maybe optimism is not the right word yeah.  But it's certainly expecting something above and beyond what we probably have right now.

1 hour ago, R-T-B said:

You won't even be getting KSP1's level of polish on day 1, IMO.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Man, when I bought KSP back at, oh, 0.17 I think, it was a complete dumpster fire. Definitely got better over the next few years up to release. Calling it "polished" at release is also kind of funny to me, the game honestly still needs work even now (way past release) and the graphics are still bland.

Face it, KSP2 is an actual early access release, it's not a complete game, not even a polished game. It's like if you bought KSP at 0.17 or something.

Edited by regex

On 2/20/2023 at 12:26 PM, mcpattyp said:

There has been pretty clear trend in the community's response to the first real gameplay, and this thread is probably going to be read by Nate himself, so I'm not going to continue the nuclear ripping into the game because I think he understands what the community thinks.

But please, focus a large amount of resources in the coming weeks and months on large leaps in optimization. There is no way there is not plenty of headroom for optimization. Your entire early access strategy focuses on player feedback to guide the course of development, but if nobody can run the game sales are going to tank hard, and you wont have the feedback you need, and I assume you guys need sales to continue development, because you are a business. Please, increase accessibility to this game by lowering the monster system requirements. If you don't, there wont be anyone left to play it.

I know this dev team has passion for the game because I saw it in every feature video. It probably hurts to see the negative reaction. Focus up and work your asses off on making this game perform the best it can.

I share your sentiment about performance and sales, and, as I've discussed in other posts, I think high sales for the EA release will be crucial to the development of the game. Unfortunately, it would simply be unreasonable for them to make significant optimization improvements in the near future- that's just not how game development works. Every time they add something new, then they need to optimize again. Better to optimize at the end, or after many more mechanics have been fully implemented, than right now.

16 minutes ago, regex said:

Face it, KSP2 is an actual early access release, it's not a complete game, not even a polished game. It's like if you bought KSP at 0.17 or something.

I started playing KSP like a week before the Mun was introduced. I've seen the grand jank, lol. I guess this is part of why I'm both disappointed and optimistic about the game - I want the features, but I also really like the foundations I've seen. We didn't get reentry heat until after we got a solar system. Used to travel to the mun without solar panels, didn't need electricity. We've come a long way, and I'll make the climb again.

Just now, Profugo Barbatus said:

I guess this is part of why I'm both disappointed and optimistic about the game

I had zero real expectations, just hopes. I admit I'm a bit surprised by some of the things we don't have but also surprised by what we do have. There's definitely a different set of priorities for this team, what they've chosen to focus on presenting to us for this first iteration.

Just now, Profugo Barbatus said:

We've come a long way, and I'll make the climb again.

Yeah, same. I'm actually thinking I'll buy it on Friday rather than wait for an update or two.

1 hour ago, regex said:

I had zero real expectations, just hopes. I admit I'm a bit surprised by some of the things we don't have but also surprised by what we do have. There's definitely a different set of priorities for this team, what they've chosen to focus on presenting to us for this first iteration.

Yeah, same. I'm actually thinking I'll buy it on Friday rather than wait for an update or two.

Truth be told, for a large chunk of the game’s development, I thought this whole thing was total vaporware. The fact that so much of the foundation seems looks pretty creaky right now is a little sad, but given the rocky development path I understand why it is that way. We’re in a pretty critical period right now, and I hope once the release hype/controversy settles down, I hope the devs circle the wagons and open up about about what our realistic expectations for this game should be. Are the high-end specs here to stay? Should we curb our expectations of better graphics for the near future? What kind of timeframe are we looking at for the roadmap? I get that they need to build up hype for this release to hit the numbers they’re looking for, but with all that’s been promised I think it’s time to start managing expectations and keep the community’s good will intact.

2 hours ago, regex said:

Man, when I bought KSP back at, oh, 0.17 I think, it was a complete dumpster fire.

I meant 1.12.x's level.  And I've seen inside the code, so I know.

Edited by R-T-B

3 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

I meant 1.12.x's level.  And I've seen inside the code, so I know.

I mean, if you're talking modding I've seen inside the code too, and talked to people who've seen inside the code. It's indie studio level stuff and, like I said, got better as time went on. 1.12 came out in 2021, which is ten years past 0.13. Ten years of development. 1.0 came out in 2015, that's around when they hired people like NathanKell and started stacking up devs. So six years of polishing past release to get to where you consider the game "polished".

Here we have an early access after, what, three years of development(?), and while Intercept has definitely prioritized things differently than say, I would have, they're putting out what looks like a pretty nice early access product.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.