KSP2 System Requirements

Dakota

Just now, Bej Kerman said:

LhC387F.png

still show that they are asking for brute force power to get playable framerates. as what was my first problem with the specs that was announced, with the specs they are asking, any game can play.

and 1.0 is in ______________ time, so who know how long before it gets better. or even before 0.2.X

cause we already know 0.1.X is not going to change.

7 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

If you nitpick examples from developers with poor reputations? Sure. If you consider how development tends to go? KSP 2 is probably going to have much lower requirements as EA progresses to a more consumer-ready state.

Dont be so naive.

As i say - they cant change all the math.

6 minutes ago, Vegatoxi said:
7 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

If you nitpick examples from developers with poor reputations? Sure. If you consider how development tends to go? KSP 2 is probably going to have much lower requirements as EA progresses to a more consumer-ready state.

Dont be so naive.

Is it naive to speak from common sense? I've seen development happen myself, I know how it goes. Optimisation happens after features are implemented for good reason.

7 minutes ago, Vegatoxi said:

As i say - they cant change all the math.

This sentence means nothing without further elaboration.

4 hours ago, DrCHIVES said:

I 100% agree...  I really do with that everyone who wants to play ksp2 would be able to.  Its an amazing franchise that for many has had a profound life affect.  However, I do not want the game to be held back at the same time simply because the majority market clientele cant make the specs.  We have spent a little over 3 years critiquing and scrutinizing this game from every possible angle putting a huge demand on it with regards to expectations.  We wanted massive surface and orbital colonies, Colossal interplanetary and interstellar vessels, hyper realistic clouds, beautiful planets and surface textures and terrain scatter, weather, colony management, multiplayer, footprints and environmental impacts and reactions, life support, the list goes on...  Like, I'm sorry your Dell Latitude from 2012 with integrated CPU graphics cant run it.   You put all of the similar respective mods in ksp1 at max settings at 1440p and it runs like absolute dog water on even the best machines.  almost all the youtube videos of these grand missions in real solar system are dramatically sped up so that people can even bear to watch it.  What did people really expect for ksp2?

I expected all of those purely graphical enhancements to be so optional that the game could still run well on my older desktop. I don't need "hyper realistic clouds", "terrain scatter" or "weather" to enjoy my space exploration game.  And I've gotten by with KSP 1 graphics on the lower end of the settings for quite some time. 

Edited by Grenartia

3 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Yes? What did you expect from pre-optimisation code?

And how long will pre-optimization take? There is still a lot to be added to the game, optimization somewhere at the end of the roadmap? Something new was constantly added to KSP1, and the developers gave up on optimization and promised to do it in KSP2.

4 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I'm actually fine with that.  If it wasn't more demanding than KSP - we'd fear that they had done nothing 'under the hood' to improve the mechanics.

As is, we can trust them when they say 'a complete rebuild'

Oh those "they say"!

2 minutes ago, Alexoff said:
3 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Yes? What did you expect from pre-optimisation code?

And how long will pre-optimization take? There is still a lot to be added to the game, optimization somewhere at the end of the roadmap?

I'm not Intercept. I just know how developers tend to prioritise things. I do know that developers aren't going to do features and optimisations at the same time because it'd be a massive time sink to constantly be refining stuff at the same time you're adding new stuff.

Just now, Alexoff said:

Something new was constantly added to KSP1, and the developers gave up on optimization and promised to do it in KSP2.

Let's just make one thing clear, hardly anyone who worked on KSP 1 is working on KSP 2. It's an almost completely new team. Some people from Squad left to work at Intercept but it's a completely different company and largely a completely different team of people. Do ditch the picture that Squad abandoned optimising KSP 1 for the sake of being able to ask people to shell money on a repaint of the same title, because that is not what's happening at all. It's a completely new team whose goal prior to their scope expanding was to do KSP 1 again, but without the spaghetti code and other baggage. It's not a conspiracy to get people to pay for the same game, it's a genuine sequel. Even if you don't get all the shiny novel features you were hyping for during the past 4 years on the same day the base game releases, you are still getting an honest-to-god attempt at remastering the original game with all the stuff Squad neglected.

As far as I Know KSP1 is the Only game that I feel No difference between 30 FPS  and 60FPS in 1080p, especially when in Space. 30fps is smooth enough,But below that well...

(I think 1060 will be Just Fine for most of us on KSP2)

Edited by jebycheek

On 2/18/2023 at 5:38 AM, MechBFP said:

GTX 1000

GTX 1000 series???

Im worried about GTX 9xx series

the 960 to be precise

46 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

honest-to-god attempt

By the looks of it, a dammed good one

Also, i think the explosions are not volumetric. You where right :)

42 minutes ago, Superluminal Gremlin said:

Also, i think the explosions are not volumetric. You where right :)

Not that I care - they still look leaps ahead of KSP 1's explosions. Interstellar, colonies, multiplayer, that can wait. I think I speak for a lot of people here when I say what I've really been waiting 4 years for is the QOL improvements and things like proper explosions :)

On 2/18/2023 at 3:12 PM, Jacke said:

Deal with it now.  Before release.  Or see sales hurt for a long time.

but it is before release; it's before the version 1.0 release :P

As for system specs, I'm somewhere around the recommended specs, thankfully:

• Intel i7-13700KF
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070Ti
  • 32 GB RAM
  • Plenty of HDD space

I'm aiming for 1440p, and I'm not expecting higher than 60fps, since KSP with ~200 mods couldn't reach that at 1440p. I'll be ok; I've played KSP with worse specs and worse FPSes.

2 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Feel free to drop the part count of your vessel :)

I'm going to keep increasing the part count until KSP2 screams at me to stop. Starting at 1000 parts then comparing my i7 4770K/1080GTX to my i9 9900K/3070ti.

Then I will keep that craft file and test for each update afterwards.

And add additional crafts with higher part counts as we go.

4 minutes ago, Delay said:

I'm sorry, do I have to point out just how frankly insane this sounds? As a starting point?

My vessels rarely exceed 100 parts in any serious capacity.

Same. 1k parts is just a meme 99.99% of the time. Like, maybe if you're attempting a Jool 5 or grand tour or putting bootprints on Eve and returning, in a single launch, I could see it, but otherwise, there's no serious need for anywhere close to 1k parts on a single craft in KSP 1, and I would be shocked if that is any different for KSP 2. 

19 minutes ago, Delay said:

I'm sorry, do I have to point out just how frankly insane this sounds? As a starting point?

My vessels rarely exceed 100 parts in any serious capacity.

Over covid I made a forklift which ended up with a modular reusable transportable base with shipping containers and a dropship that used over 1000 parts.

The longer some people play KSP1 the more interesting they have to make the crafts to keep interested.

1000 parts = less than 20fps on my i9 9900K/3070ti (or 1080GTX) in KSP1 and I could have done more possibly if 1000 parts wasn't a limitation

20 minutes ago, Grenartia said:

Same. 1k parts is just a meme 99.99% of the time. Like, maybe if you're attempting a Jool 5 or grand tour or putting bootprints on Eve and returning, in a single launch, I could see it, but otherwise, there's no serious need for anywhere close to 1k parts on a single craft in KSP 1, and I would be shocked if that is any different for KSP 2. 

Isn't a meme for me...

33 minutes ago, Numberyellow said:

This is untrue. What happened was reported at the time. Star Theory decided they did not want to sell the company to TT. TT didn't like this, and set a plan in motion to get what they wanted

You've read an opinion piece of some reporter that was filling in blank spots trying to connect dots. Those are not facts, they were hypotheses at best, nothing was reported. 

You don't know what lead to TT taking over development, it can be anyone's guess. 

31 minutes ago, Numberyellow said:

This is untrue. What happened was reported at the time. Star Theory decided they did not want to sell the company to TT. TT didn't like this, and set a plan in motion to get what they wanted. TT DID establish Intercept, specifically for the purpose of developing KSP2. TT DID pull Star Theory's contract to work on KSP2. TT DID then proceed to headhunt the majority of Star Theory's development staff. These actions did force Star Theory out of business.

These are all facts.

The fact of the matter is that star theory was a small developer dedicated the making a product that represents the values they and the community the scientific intrigued community (massively under-representated), just like squad, T2 is a massive development enterprise, they care about money, and will do anything to get it, so it’s a double edged sword, on the one hand, T2 will do anything to make a buck, including disappointing fans, on the other, they have massive resources at their disposal and they can create a game far more appealing that a smaller studio, which brings us back to specifications. T2 knows how anticipated this game will be, and that the second it drops content creators will be on it like ants on sugar, giving them a huge marketing opportunity, they seem how the people on the forums, discord, and any other social platforms eat up every morsel of footage, completely digest it, and send it everywhere, making it really hard to miss any detail, anything they add, even the most minute detail gets seen nearly instantly the forums go into overdrive, so now that they have been giving us steady, tiny drops of the great elixir of KSP2, imagine what it will be like when we get overloaded by info, every single content creator, Matt Lowne, Stratzenblitz, shadow zone, Bradly Wistance,  Scott himself, then and many more will jump on it, it will take months to dirty through the information we get on just day one, the community will be super hyped, but we still can’t get the game yet because of the specs, that’s why we know they will find a way to lower them massively. As Shadowzone put it “CAPITALISM”. They will want to milk this hype for every penny they can get, it is necessary in order to get what the put into it out of it tenfold, like game developers always want to do.