KSP2 System Requirements

Dakota

Yes, the 1070Ti was added to the PD store page for KSP2.

There's also this tweet:

I think it's clear now that Take Two/Private Division forced this EA on Intercept. The game isn't ready yet, but T2 wants to start making money off it now.

The sub-par graphics we've seen make sense now.

2 minutes ago, Kerbin Launch Coalition said:

To be fair, I'm getting it on Early Access and, unless it is just the worst performing game ever, keeping it. I'm looking forward to see the colonies and what not, the one thing the original Kerbal Space Program lacked was in a nutshell, ambition. This one seems more ambitious, which isn't nothing but a good thing provided Intercept and Private Division can provide a game that works.  :maneuver:

I wouldn't be surprised to see this. That said though, I'd have expected the minimum requirements to be a bit more reasonable if there's an optional texture resolution bump for higher end systems.

Yeah I exceed all of the recommended requirements other than gpu, I have a gtx 1080 so we'll see how things go. I'm assuming they listed the minimum as a 20 series card because it's more recent, lots of people complaining about it 'not supporting' 10 series cards.

8 minutes ago, Kevin15673 said:

Yeah I exceed all of the recommended requirements other than gpu, I have a gtx 1080 so we'll see how things go. I'm assuming they listed the minimum as a 20 series card because it's more recent, lots of people complaining about it 'not supporting' 10 series cards.

Well the GTX 1080 is faster (10 - 15%) than RTX 2060 so it'll work well enough I'd imagine. Unless there's something like Ray Tracing as base feature.

3 hours ago, GigFiz said:

Did people not read the whole first post or something?

Likely not because initially only the specs were dropped without any clarification. On top, why oh why post "minimum" specs that are intended as "this is the minimum you need when you have all sliders on max." No one, no one is going to read that into specs, even if (and they didn't) you clarify them. Within a week we'll know if the outrage is uncalled for, but if it is, it's totally on Intercept for borking this monumentally.

Just now, Kerbin Launch Coalition said:

Well the GTX 1080 is faster (10 - 15%) than RTX 2060 so it'll work well enough I'd imagine. Unless there's something like Ray Tracing as base feature.

Yeah nvidia enabled ray tracing on 10 series cards forever ago, since the 20 series cards were barely any faster. I might have to upgrade to a 40 series cards since the 4080 is apparently 3x faster than my old 1080.

2 minutes ago, Kevin15673 said:

Yeah nvidia enabled ray tracing on 10 series cards forever ago, since the 20 series cards were barely any faster. I might have to upgrade to a 40 series cards since the 4080 is apparently 3x faster than my old 1080.

1080GTX might be able to do raytracing but it does it badly. very badly

3 minutes ago, Anth12 said:

1080GTX might be able to do raytracing but it does it badly. very badly

The 1080 can do ray tracing, I've done it before. I was pretty surprised at the performance, it does about as well as a 2070. As long as ray tracing isn't a required feature then my 1080 should be fine.

7 minutes ago, Kevin15673 said:

You've seen how much RTX 4080 cost though right? Like I'm gonna go ahead and make a sweeping statement here, 99% of gamers will not be willing to fork out the asking price for one, for Kerbal Space Program 2. Not when it has no real credentials to be demanding such hardware. Of course there'll always be the 'hardcore' who'll drop a grand to play a single game like it's nothing but most people squarely aren't in that boat.

10 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

Likely not because initially only the specs were dropped without any clarification. On top, why oh why post "minimum" specs that are intended as "this is the minimum you need when you have all sliders on max." No one, no one is going to read that into specs, even if (and they didn't) you clarify them. Within a week we'll know if the outrage is uncalled for, but if it is, it's totally on Intercept for borking this monumentally.

I am confused by your post, the minimum specs are for everything on low and on 1080p.

22 minutes ago, Kerbin Launch Coalition said:

The Radeon 5600XT listed doesn't have ray tracing, so it's not a requirement. Probably a reason the 1070Ti was put on the store, to clarify that point.

Just now, Kerbin Launch Coalition said:

You've seen how much RTX 4080 cost though right? Like I'm gonna go ahead and make a sweeping statement here, 99% of gamers will not be willing to fork out the asking price for one, for Kerbal Space Program 2. Not when it has no real credentials to be demanding such hardware. Of course there'll always be the 'hardcore' who'll drop a grand to play a single game like it's nothing but most people squarely aren't in that boat.

I never said everyone has to upgrade to a 4080, I was just saying I might finally upgrade since new cards are now significantly faster than my current one. I bought the 1080 because well... it was on sale, but it was a good card 6 years ago and I still run most new games at high graphics, I bet it will still be able to play games another 6 years from now. The minimum requirements state a rtx 2060 which could be picked up for around $200, even used 3080s go for $500 now with the release of 40 series, even if you have a 1060 and can't expend the $200 for a new used card you'll probably still be able to play the game fine.

I will concede that this was not done spectacularly well, especially with the way that kneejerk internet hate generally works. I also think that there were things they could/should have done that would have helped things were: like, for example, in huge letters, at the very top, write INITIAL EARLY ACCESS SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS, and, seeing as they have now said that it can run below the listed minimums, divide it into three tiers instead: have a recommended optimum, change minimum to "recommended minimum," and add a required minimum/bare minimum, or something like that.

Also...do y'all need hugs or something? I get that this is something we really care about and are emotionally invested in (especially after the rollercoaster of waiting), but one thing I always liked and appreciated about this forum was the way it generally stayed away from the overall hyperbole, hatefulness and negativity, and bickering that you find so commonly online. Yes, I know this is disappointing for many of us, and doesn't quite track with what we expected, seeming to be excessive requirements for what it is, but this is also pre-release of early access. The sky is not falling, the game is not doomed, and this does not "confirm" anything. And it is, after all, still just a video game. 

2 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

Likely not because initially only the specs were dropped without any clarification.

Hmm. I did not know that, since the first place I saw this was here, so that is useful information, and makes a bit more sense about grumpy reactions to the initial leak without context. Although it doesn't really change that it is there for people in this thread.

3 minutes ago, GigFiz said:

And it is, after all, still just a video game. 

Indeed. Then again, some people here have spent literal years obsessing over the game. How someone cares for more than a few days before forgetting about it until the next update is beyond me.

1 hour ago, Kevin15673 said:

The 1080 can do ray tracing, I've done it before. I was pretty surprised at the performance, it does about as well as a 2070. As long as ray tracing isn't a required feature then my 1080 should be fine.

Looking up youtube videos show it does work better than I remember when I tested it on my 1080GTX one time.

I tested it with quake RTX and it was just a slideshow so maybe it was the game and not the card causing it to be so bad at the time.

46 minutes ago, GigFiz said:

I will concede that this was not done spectacularly well, especially with the way that kneejerk internet hate generally works. I also think that there were things they could/should have done that would have helped things were: like, for example, in huge letters, at the very top, write INITIAL EARLY ACCESS SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS, and, seeing as they have now said that it can run below the listed minimums, divide it into three tiers instead: have a recommended optimum, change minimum to "recommended minimum," and add a required minimum/bare minimum, or something like that.

Whats bare minimum? 480p 5fps with 5 parts? Its bad giving players the impression they can play the game.

People should not be getting their hopes up that anything less than a 2060 will give them a good experience. Even at full release. That could be in 2 years anyway. By that time the 2060 is 4 generations old anyway and most games will have it as a minimum. 

We will know more next week and we can upload benchmarks. Before that I wouldnt assume anything. 

11 minutes ago, Anth12 said:

Looking up youtube videos show it does work better than I remember when I tested it on my 1080GTX one time.

I tested it with quake RTX and it was just a slideshow so maybe it was the game and not the card causing it to be so bad at the time.

They've also improved ray tracing a lot in the past few years, with driver updates and game updates. Even the 20 series cards were considered slideshows at ray tracing lol, I think the 2060 got like 15fps while using ray tracing.

Just now, Kevin15673 said:

They've also improved ray tracing a lot in the past few years, with driver updates and game updates. Even the 20 series cards were considered slideshows at ray tracing lol, I think the 2060 got like 15fps while using ray tracing.

Maybe that's what the problem was. I did 1080GTX raytracing testing just after it was implemented.

Just now, jebycheek said:

Just look at the announcements.  these people are still not honest about  the public.All the blurred ing and muffling, As if their are  hiding a back stabbing truth.I feel like their mission is to put it on the table and leave it. 

LhC387F.png

I feel like this should be fairly obvious to everyone at this point. This level of paranoia is just comical.

2 hours ago, Kevin15673 said:

There will probably be a optional free dlc for higher quality textures, many games have done it in the past.

Most likely, to get free DLC from T2, we will have to use only our imagination

Retesting on my i7 4770K + 1080GTX for raytracing on the quake RTX . It would be interesting if KSP2 does actually have the option for raytracing. Guess we will find out soon enough.

Quake II RTX = 9fps...

Edited by Anth12