KSP2 System Requirements

Dakota

This is actually not as bad as I was worried it'd be for minimum, but also confirms that KSP2 is still single-thread bound. X4 845 is significantly higher performance overall than i5 6400, but is actually slightly behind it in a single thread performance.

The recommended is about where I'd expect it, at comparable performance to gen 9 consoles, with somewhat better single thread performance. My concern was that the gap between minimum and recommended would be a lot narrower. I'm glad they managed to make at least some dent in that.

Edit: Hm. Steam Deck might actually run the game alright if there are no major hickups in the emulation. This will be very interesting to check out.

Edited by K^2

30 minutes ago, dok_377 said:

The game just got cancelled for me, I'm so done. 

What exactly are comments like this supposed to be accomplishing.  What, do you think they will see this and go...

"Oh, our bad!, Hey everyone, lets scrap the current game, go back to the design phase and rebuild a new version that uses less resources. Yeah, we know that set us back several years, but this one person made that cancelled post in the forums."

It is what it is, you either play it or don't.  What precisly was your comment suopposed to be doing?

Well, looks like my current laptop is out. Not that I expected otherwise, I've been pretty surprised that KSP 1 was somewhat playable on its Intel 620 GPU. Whats actually surprising is that it meets the recommendations for CPU and RAM.

So, KSP 2 gives me an excuse to upgrade the thing :cool:

21 minutes ago, mcpattyp said:

The fact that they waited a week before release to post this is mind boggling

Hardware is outdated before you walk out of the store where you bought it,. It would be far more mind boggling to announce this 3 years ago.

Wow. My 3080TI 12GB is going to get a workout.

It does seem a bit of an insane set of requirements for a space game though. The 60GB HD space probably tells us that the textures are raw, I'll bet that there are some significant optimisations that can be had here. It will hurt sales though, which is worrying.

The real question now is: will there be a preload?

Edited by jacksawild

Okay god these are bad, there was already clues towards a messy development with lots of code bloat and I think this confirms it. Games have definitely rebound from messy starts and Im routing for yall, but yall better spend like the first four months of EA just focused on optimizing the game to hell and back, maybe release gameplay stuff if its already nearly done like science, but even if itll make sales early on worse in the long run it will be worth it. Dont be afraid to hire people specifically to help with optimization.

Just now, K^2 said:

The graphics requirements for min-spec will go down for full release. The fact that CPU requirements are lower for KSP2 at this stage is a huge deal.

And when is full release exactly? When is the next update? How long would this game take to come out if they didn't push it out now clearly half-baked?

KSP2 is doing something that has never been done before in gaming. The high tech requirements are not a surprise at all. Most players are just too used to KSP1. Open your eyes to the future - the "game that was promised" is finally arriving! UPGRADE!

Edited by Vl3d

Just now, Vl3d said:

KSP2 is doing something that has never been done before in gaming. The high tech requirements are not a surprise at all. Most players are just too used to KSP1. Open your eyes to the future - the "game that was promised" is finally arriving! UPGRADE!

Il open my eyes when I can open the game :/

5 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

KSP with mods has done almost all of what KSP2 will be doing at launch, though? And it generally runs better?

Just now, GregroxMun said:

KSP with mods has done almost all of what KSP2 will be doing at launch, though? And it generally runs better?

We can always continue playing KSP1 in parallel to take advantage of the great mods. KSP2 is a 2023+ game at the inception, we're launching, space is hard, we're just a few enthusiasts that will go on testing EA...

PD | Dakota18ed7a59f43b51ad0549ca24e1cce8a6.webp?siToday at 10:48 PM

For additional context: Minimum is 1080p at Low Settings Recommended is 1440p at High Settings These systems requirements are to ensure a high-quality experience while playing KSP2 in a variety of in-game scenarios. KSP 2 will work across a wide variety of hardware beyond what is listed in our recommended specs, with performance scaling based on the size and complexity of the crafts you build. Throughout the Early Access period, our development team will continue to prioritize performance optimization to ensure an optimal gameplay experience for as many @Kerbonauts as possible. We hear you and we take your feedback very seriously. You are a core part of the development process, so please continue to share your expectations for what you want your KSP2 experience to be.
Edited by Vl3d

6 minutes ago, Minmus Taster said:

And when is full release exactly? When is the next update? How long would this game take to come out if they didn't push it out now clearly half-baked?

I'm pretty sure the bottleneck is multiplayer, and the rest they're taking the extra time on because they have it. Educated guess based on the team composition from a bit back, 4-6 months of extra time to finish multiplayer, putting the full release in the late summer early fall. That would indicate a pretty quick rollout of some of the other road map features, so we can correct based on that. If we don't see science by late March to very early April, then maybe I'd start getting worried that it's going to be longer.

5 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

RTX 2060?? My old 1050 Ti could handle SpaceEngine's ray-marched Kerr-Newman black hole simulation, complete with volumetric accretion disks, so I'm a bit surprised to see that KSP 2's minimum requirements call for something better than the 1000-series.

It's mostly the VRAM requirement and possibly some virtualization features of the 2xxx hardware that make that a requirement at this point. Again, I'm pretty sure these will be significantly reduced. There's nothing there a 960 can't handle in principle. But you never work on new features at the barebones level first. You start at what you want to see, and then you cut it down for more basic hardware. They have time for that.

5 minutes ago, K^2 said:

Educated guess based on the team composition from a bit back, 4-6 months of extra time to finish multiplayer, putting the full release in the late summer early fall.

This is a very bold statement. I think we need to arrange a sweepstakes, we will bet on the release of the full release this year. Losers will buy recommended computers for winners :cool:

Wow, I suspected I wouldn't be able to play this game at launch, but I didn't expect I'd be this far off from the requirements. Hope everybody else has fun, because I'm not getting anywhere near those specs for at least 2 years. I'll just have to live vicariously through the rest of you.

Edited by Cydonian Monk

12 minutes ago, K^2 said:

Educated guess based on the team composition from a bit back, 4-6 months of extra time to finish multiplayer, putting the full release in the late summer early fall.

I think you will have a hard time finding anyone to take that bet.  We're 3 years behind the original planned release with almost every new gameplay feature stripped out for an Early Access, sandbox-only release.

Colonies delivered in 2023 sounds reasonable bordering on aspirational based on the current track record.