Request: A novices guide to a non-overwhelming non-assumptive how-to on modelling!

Well, I've finally got my part in game, and repeated the task; the problem was within the CFG file, the nodes made KSP **** bricks. I'm double posting this to Aescwulf and SpannerMonkey, as the two of you were both having the same kind of trouble. I'll be figuring out how to make the 'new type' of parts (the mu files and mbm's and ****) and writing up a brief outline of how to do it in a manner that there's no possible way anyone can **** it up hopefully, and releasing some random **** in the coming days. <3

First of all, what do you need Python for?

To finally answer your question (after having figured it out myself!) you need Python to be able to turn a .DAE (COLLADA file) into a .blend to be able to **** with other peoples parts, or rework stock parts. Without it, you just can't make it happen, as the Python API isn't enough.

Okay, sorry for the super-long delay, I had to deal with a bunch of wedding-related nonsense the past weekend. I plan to have a free schedule tomorrow to get the tutorial up, but I can tell you right now that if you're using Blender to model, you DO NOT need a separate installation of Python, as it comes out of the box with Blender sufficiently for modeling. Also, if you're using Blender, why are you saving in .DAE? To Unity it doesn't matter what file extension you use to import so long as it comes from [Major] modeling software.

Sounds fantastic! I've encountered intermittent nonsensical problems again. The oxygenator panel I showed you guys, made a collider mesh, threw a material on it, skinned it; wouldn't load in game. Removed the node **** from the CFG entirely in case it was that again. Wouldn't load in game. Redesigned the node_collider in case one part of it that was trimmed inwards was 'concave' by KSP standards. Wouldn't load in game.

I designed a docking system based off the ORDA / Erkle warp clamp and loaded that flawlessly, yet something as dumb as a panel won't load. The docking system's connect nodes are ****ing all over the shop though and I have no idea how to fix it besides changing a number, then reloading the game, changing a number, reloading the game. Given how memory hungry KSP is loading the game takes about five minutes. So adjusting one node to be perfect took me a few hours. Each piece in the docking system will, projected upon that few hours a piece, combined will take me 12 hours just to align nodes.

I can't think of anything better to do this week. Besides maybe smearing honey on my nuts and letting fire ants eat them. So I've given up on the docking system for now. :<

• 2 years later...

I know I'm really late to the party, but like OP I'm also in the position of trying to learn how to build parts and have been searching everywhere for tips and tutorials. I've had previous experience using Sketchup to make models, and found this tutorial to be tremendous: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/entries/1386-Sketchup-to-Blender-to-Unity-to-KSP. It's about a year old at this point, and Blender has been upgraded since then (as well as KSP), but I was still able to successfully fly my first part within 2 hours of starting this particular tutorial.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.