Plane-Centered Contracts

I think it would be very cool if there were contracts in career that made players fly a tourist from one runway to a different one, or maybe even to runways that the player can't access. I've always felt a bit sad at the fact that there was no contracts for planes at all, and I think it would be pretty nice to see some popping up from time to time.

There is a contract pack that offers assorted aircraft contracts - "Giving Aircraft a Purpose"   Adds assorted one-time aviation challenges (altitude & speed, barnstorming, landing on VAB helipad) plus regularly offering "airline" contracts where you have to build a plane that holds __ passengers and fly from one of the runways to another.    It of course requires Contract Configurator as well, like all contract packs. 

Found here:

I know the header says version 1.6.1 but I'm using it in 1.12.5 with no problems, and I've used it in just about every previous version of KSP as well.

Edited by Cavscout74

On 2/20/2023 at 6:50 PM, Cavscout74 said:

I know the header says version 1.6.1 but I'm using it in 1.12.5 with no problems, and I've used it in just about every previous version of KSP as well.

Yes, it works just fine in 1.12.5. It's a breath of fresh air to have something other than flying a thermometer half way around the planet. :-P

12 hours ago, AuddieD2015 said:

Yes, it works just fine in 1.12.5. It's a breath of fresh air to have something other than flying a thermometer half way around the planet. :-P

Glad to hear it. 

Another type of contract it can give you are water rescues - IIRC, if you complete the build & fly a seaplane and/or (can't remember if it's either or both) the land a helicopter on the VAB contracts, you can start getting "Coast Guard" missions to rescue stranded kerbals on the water.

@Cavscout74  I haven't gotten far in the contracts. I can't seem to storm any hangers without awakening a kraken. At that point, I return to flying thermometers to the other side of the planet. I do see the Coast Guard category. Maybe I can storm a couple hangars in a mini helicopter that can slowly glide through them and progress onward to bigger things.

13 minutes ago, AuddieD2015 said:

@Cavscout74  I haven't gotten far in the contracts. I can't seem to storm any hangers without awakening a kraken. At that point, I return to flying thermometers to the other side of the planet. I do see the Coast Guard category. Maybe I can storm a couple hangars in a mini helicopter that can slowly glide through them and progress onward to bigger things.

The barnstorming contracts I found pretty difficult.  Probably the hardest ones offered.  The Island airfield hangars aren't too horrible if you have a small plane - the hill behind the hangars is what creates the most difficulty, at least it does for me.  The research center one is HARD.   I can't remember if I've ever completed that one successfully.   If I did, it was in something very small & very slow.

One other thing to watch out for - if you accept a speed or altitude contract and do something else (like launch a normal rocket) there is a good chance it will count staging of your rocket as a failure of the aircraft contract, even though you aren't attempting the aircraft contract.  So only take them when you plan on completing them immediately.

Edited by Cavscout74

@Cavscout74 Yes, the hill is my problem with the island hangars. If I go in from the east toward the hills, I will inevitably hit them. If I go in from the west over the hills, I hit the hangar. It does count if pieces of your plane go through it, so long as your pilot is alive to recover. Ugh about the science center. I already know what that will be. Driving under it hard because of the way the camera reacts. It would definitely have to be a slow craft for me because I can't fly well with the camera going crazy. They almost all require a safe landing also, which can be tricky. Planes are not as forgiving as rockets. Thankfully, there is no wind or fog or otherwise foul weather to contend with.  But all that said, I do love planes in this game (especially at mach 3.5 engulfed in flames LOL).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.