Will intergalactic travel ever be possible

awsumguy76801

43 minutes ago, awsumguy76801 said:

Will some mod ever bring it into the game or do you think the distances involved are just too stupid to work in the game and also the fact there are billions of stars in galaxies which might make a lot of peoples computers explode

Actual galaxies? No. Simulated (For a lack of a better word) galaxies, maybe. 

I can see something like, when you get to the edge of the skybox, you pass through it into a totally new skybox and there's new star systems inside the 2nd skybox. 

That's the only way I see "Galaxies" being in KSP 2.

Considering that the distances involved are so ungodly large the game would probably break, I highly doubt we'll see anything of the sort. What we will probably see however is lots and lots of star packs to fill out interstellar space - a few years down the line we might even have some 100 stars modded into the game!

Just now, Luriss said:

Considering that the distances involved are so ungodly large the game would probably break, I highly doubt we'll see anything of the sort. What we will probably see however is lots and lots of star packs to fill out interstellar space - a few years down the line we might even have some 100 stars modded into the game!

If KSP 2 can handle more than a dozen or so star systems. It should, but keyword, should. It could end up having a soft limit due to limitations in the code or hardware. 

Just now, GoldForest said:

If KSP 2 can handle more than a dozen or so star systems. It should, but keyword, should. It could end up having a soft limit due to limitations in the code or hardware. 

This is true. Iirc KSP 1 has all planets and moons loaded to some extent, even if you're nowhere near them.

Then again, this is a game focused on interstellar; it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect some sort of optimization that makes lots of stars possible right? New star systems also seem like an obvious thing for the devs to add in updates and/or dlc down the road.

5 minutes ago, Luriss said:

This is true. Iirc KSP 1 has all planets and moons loaded to some extent, even if you're nowhere near them.

Then again, this is a game focused on interstellar; it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect some sort of optimization that makes lots of stars possible right? New star systems also seem like an obvious thing for the devs to add in updates and/or dlc down the road.

Oh, no, totally reasonable, I'm just being realistic/cautious. 

It's already been confirmed that we will be getting solar systems after 1.0 as DLC or updates. It's not just going to be Kerbolar system, Deb deb and TBA. 

14 hours ago, awsumguy76801 said:

Will some mod ever bring it into the game or do you think the distances involved are just too stupid to work in the game and also the fact there are billions of stars in galaxies which might make a lot of peoples computers explode

The Andromeda galaxy is 2.5 million ly away while the nearest star is 4 ly away. I think a better mod to look forward to would be one procedurally generating the rest of the galaxy, that Kerbin is in, around the handcrafted local group