How difficult would it be to "revoice" or add "voice options" to the tutorials?

Breaking my commitment to not watching anything until release, I felt the need to watch some of the CC content related to the tutorials. 

I think the "overly chipper squeaky kid voice" is a mistake

As a teacher and someone hoping to introduce the game to tweens, teens and adults ‐ if all of the tutorials are in that voice you are going to turn people off.

Let me specifically address tweens and teens.  That voice is going to liquid them off.  No way to sugar coat this. 

5th graders and below will be fine with that voice.  Middleschoolers and high-school kids will resent it.  Adults who are interested will roll their eyes and put up with it... but if there is a target market of 12-17 yearolds, they're going to feel condescension and annoyance. 

Best case?  They mock the game on social media.   Most likely?   They will walk or avoid the tutorials. 

Strongly suggest recording a more mature sounding actor ‐ and treating older kids like young adults rather than precocious day care kiddos. 

Edit the n-th: I've heard the same voice actor speaking in a different video in a tone less 'talking to the Littles ' and it was fine.  Having her present the materials in a matter of fact tone similar to how M. Thaller does below will solve any reservations I have

Edit - for reference, here's Michelle Thaller talking to kids, and it works. 

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

Just now, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Breaking my commitment to not watching anything until release, I felt the need to watch some of the CC content related to the tutorials. 

I think the "overly chipper squeaky kid voice" is a mistake

As a teacher and someone hoping to introduce the game to tweens, teens and adults ‐ if all of the tutorials are in that voice you are going to turn people off.

Let me specifically address tweens and teens.  That voice is going to liquid them off.  No way to sugar coat this. 

5th graders and below will be fine with that voice.  Middleschoolers and high-school kids will resent it.  Adults who are interested will roll their eyes and put up with it... but if there is a target market of 12-17 yearolds, they're going to feel condescension and annoyance. 

Best case?  They mock the game on social media.   Most likely?   They will walk or avoid the tutorials. 

Strongly suggest recording a more mature sounding actor ‐ and treating older kids like young adults rather than precocious day care kiddos. 

Perhaps Scott Manley?

Or even Neil Degrasse Tyson?

Just now, AtomicTech said:

Perhaps Scott Manley?

Or even Neil Degrasse Tyson?

Anyone as long as it respects the intelligence of the kids (and adults) it's supposed to help. 

This is a game that appeals to the intelligence of players.   Those kinds of kids don't appreciate being treated like babies.  They openly mock Magical Schoolbus... even if or perhaps especially because they couldn't get enough of it just a few years before. 

The tutorial doesn't treat anyone like a 'baby' it's just explaining very complex things in a simplified way. 

And I truly don't see what people hate about the voice actor. It's clearly autotuned voice to make it sound more kid friendly. I'd rather have a kid friendly voice than some adult talking in a monotone voice. 

Yes, the voice is a little squeaky, but that's the voice younger kids really find fun. 

Edited by GoldForest

3 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Yes, the voice is a little squeaky, but that's the voice younger kids really find fun. 

Are kids that are young enough to feel more enticed to watch the tutorials if they find the voice fun to listen to, seriously the targeted age-group of this game? It seems to have been built around that age-group, given the VA they chose, so arguably in this regard, yes? Next to no-one starts to get into orbital mechanics and space related stuff (to a relatively advanced level) before they are ~16, at least when averaging in a pretty wide sense, so not including the few people who completely stray away, or completely dive into it at a younger age. Given that, I imagine the core player-base of this game is above the age of 16, where this type of voice acting, and furthermore animation (although I personally do like the animation style), is just completely out of place.

I think that the voice is painful to listen to, on one level because I am still struggling to find any associations between KSP 2 and people under the age of 13, and on another, because the microphone or mixing they did just hurts my ears. There's too much high end and it has that same painful sound you can sometimes hear in the letter S on some bad microphones. It might just be the EQ settings on my headset, but everything else on them seems fine, so I blame the recording for now.

The actual content that is in the tutorials, and IMO the animation, looks really promising, but I might get into modding just to remove the voice over if no-one else does it before me...

Edited by Derpiesaurus

I think this is a bad take. If someone finds it condescending then they are likely one of those people who think they know everything anyway and are just going to skip the tutorials regardless because they think they are clearly so brilliant. 
Let them take themselves down a peg. 

19 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

I'd rather have a kid friendly voice than some adult talking in a monotone voice. 

I personally disagree. I was really looking forward to watching the tutorials, after I saw the first one, not as much.

I'm sure there will be mods to re dub the voices at one point though.

Edited by Kerbal3

Seriously, some people here.. "baby squeaky voice" anyone who says that should grow up first. And open their minds to less edgy adult way of thinking.

Friendly voice happily explaining hard stuff? Count me in.

I bet Intercept did a lot more demographic research than any of you.

43 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

I think this is a bad take. If someone finds it condescending then they are likely one of those people who think they know everything anyway and are just going to skip the tutorials regardless because they think they are clearly so brilliant. 

I spend all my working day with teenagers.  They know everything. 

Actually, they don't.  And they're willing to admit it.  Under certain circumstances.

It's quite easy to reach them, presuming you treat them with a little respect.  When they feel condescended to, they shut down.  They are particularly sensitive to 'baby talk' or being treated like a little kid.

The published video tutorial in this sense is really borderline.

On many levels, it's quite good.  The animations are approachable and the information is on point. 

But the voice?  It's great for little Kerbonauts, and IMO older adults can handle it, but I do think it will turn off tweens and teens - and perhaps some younger adults.  I plan on getting direct feedback from a couple of them this weekend.  Will report back.

Just now, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I spend all my working day with teenagers.  They know everything. 

Actually, they don't.  And they're willing to admit it.  Under certain circumstances.

It's quite easy to reach them, presuming you treat them with a little respect.  When they feel condescended to, they shut down.  They are particularly sensitive to 'baby talk' or being treated like a little kid.

The published video tutorial in this sense is really borderline.

On many levels, it's quite good.  The animations are approachable and the information is on point. 

But the voice?  It's great for little Kerbonauts, and IMO older adults can handle it, but I do think it will turn off tweens and teens - and perhaps some younger adults.  I plan on getting direct feedback from a couple of them this weekend.  Will report back.

Me too, but we are all not native English speakers.

Just now, The Aziz said:

I bet Intercept did a lot more demographic research than any of you.

Can't argue with that - the problem is that my initial impression is that the committee chose a voice that appealed to the broadest demographic, without thinking about this specific demographic's response.  I'd be willing to bet there is a solid dip in the 12-17 year old perception of it.

I personally find the voice the same as the annoying sidekicks in anime. Annoying but useful. On the other hand, the voices used for Kerbals have always been in a higher pitch. So it makes sense for Kerbals to have a higher pitch or squeaky voices.

(Think about how Squad got the voices in the first place. Reversed Spanish that was cheaply sped up. Speeding up speech will raise the pitch.)

This is nonsense. Nobody is going to walk away from the game based on a few minutes of audio from a tutorial. People will either vibe with the game or they wont. Teens will follow their friends, there really is no point trying to be cool for them, that's the least cool thing you could do. Mario's voice never did him much harm.

3 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Let me specifically address tweens and teens.  That voice is going to liquid them off.

As a teen myself, I agree with this 100%, that voice is not just annoying, it’s repulsive, it make me cringe even as a dedicated player, it also gives off a bad look, makes the game look like a child’s game, and is therefore detrimental to the onboarding process, and if KSP1 had that voice it never would have succeeded the way it did

they are advertising a game that anyone below 6th grade has no chance of understanding, they need to accept that the target audience of this game will not accept such silliness

Target: all audiences

ESRB: E

PEGI: 3

Just now, SSTO Crasher said:

target audience of this game will not accept such silliness

What, the funny little green men?

KSP was never a serious simulation and shouldn't be perceived as one. First and foremost it's a game that anyone can play.

Folks on the discord went nuts about this when the first tutorial was shown. I find the voice cheerful and informative so its hard for me to hear what other people are hearing. I do have to wonder how much implicit bias is a factor here.

Just now, Pthigrivi said:

Folks on the discord went nuts about this when the first tutorial was shown. I find the voice cheerful and informative so its hard for me to hear what other people are hearing. I do have to wonder how much implicit bias is a factor here.

Drama happens

3 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Or add the option to read the tutorials, it will also help people who are deaf

21 hours ago, MechBFP said:

Seriously? This person is showing compassion towards other people who migh actually want those tutorials }:(

[snip]

even when i was a kid i found speaking this way annoying. its just unnatural sounding. im not saying it has to be the complete opposite end of the spectrum and put me to sleep, just shouldve been dialed back a couple notches to sound like someone talking to you like a human rather than a pet.