Let's talk about graphics

Vl3d

We need to have a talk. I understand the artistic choice of having the game world be realistically depicted while the UI is representative of Kerbal technology with ASCII art and pixelated graphics and icons. I like the idea.

But some of the graphics are too pixelated. Just look at the icons in map view. It hurts the eyes.

ksp2-pixelated-ui.png

Edited by Vl3d

5 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

We need to have a talk. I understand the artistic choice of having the game world be realistically depicted while the UI is representative of Kerbal technology with ASCII art and pixelated graphics and icons. I like the idea.

But some of the graphics are too pixelated. Just look at the icons in map view. It hurts the eyes.

I disagree, I think they're fine. Don't hurt my eyes. I think they should keep the pixelated look. It pays homage to KSP 1 and it looks more 'spacey'

4 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

There's no good reason to have pixelated icons for vessel types on the patch curves in map view. They look bad especially when scaled up by zooming.

There's no good reason not to have pixelated icons. 

You are entitled to your opinion though. Maybe wait until you play the game instead of jumping to conclusions though. Youtube's compression system is very bad and can make pixelated stuff look worse than it should look.

Edited by GoldForest

2 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

Just look at it!

ksp2-pixelated-ui.png

Huh. Didn't notice that in any of the videos. 

That looks more like an aliasing problem than the UI being pixelated. Though, they were all running x8 anti-aliasing, so idk. 

Edited by GoldForest

6 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Huh. Didn't notice that in any of the videos. 

That looks more like an aliasing problem than the UI being pixelated. Though, they were all running x8 anti-aliasing, so idk. 

The navigation direction symbols / icons look smooth. Pixelation is on purpose.

Edited by Vl3d

Yeah, it is a bit odd that all the prograde, retrograde icons etc look fine to me there... but the lines leading up to them even look very, I guess jagged?

I love the dome representing SOI changes tho, it could use some tweaks for readability in terms of entry v exit but otherwise nice!

Or, we could, ya know, wait a few days to make any judgements.    

Very very few of us have seen the game.    Aside from those privileged few, none of us knows what we’re talking about.    

We can wait till Friday don’t ya think?  

5 hours ago, Vl3d said:

The navigation direction symbols / icons look smooth. Pixelation is on purpose.

Do you have anything positive to say, or are you simply just here to push negativity and bad vibes?

I can't say it enough:  What you want out of KSP2 may very well not be what you get.  And if the things you've seen in preview videos and on Twitter or other platforms turns you off so much that you have to consistently post negative threads about every perceived slight, then why on Earth (or Kerbin, as the case may be) are you even considering this game?  Why not take that energy and put it to better use making yourself happy instead of trying to make everyone else upset?

idk bro, but it seems like KSP 2 is really leaning into the LEGO bricks vibes. Meaning, I think the part surfaces are too glossy and shiny. I don't know what the devs did, but the parts look surfaced with plastic.

Now, two replies I expect:

"oh, but the screenshots have been confirmed to be months old!"

It still looks like that, even from the play testing which was uploaded yesterday.

"this can be explained with lore! maybe they use a different kind of paint!"

That's (respectfully) stupid, and an easy out. KSP is meant to be an earth analogue, and although it has tiny green men and women(whom we all love), that doesn't mean that they should be crappy paint designers.

The game looks like the Lego 3d modeling software(again with the Lego) and is something that needs to be fixed.

Just now, Vl3d said:

OP just wants matte paint.

Actually...

I know this may be kinda out there, but what if we had different paint textures(like rocket league). That would lead to some nice stuff for modders, and you could possibly upload your own textures?

Overlapping threads complaining about graphics of KSP2, a game which none of us have played yet, have been merged.    We don’t need more than one of these.   And yes the title and OP got switched.     This was intentional.   

7 hours ago, GoldForest said:

I disagree, I think they're fine. Don't hurt my eyes. I think they should keep the pixelated look. It pays homage to KSP 1 and it looks more 'spacey'

The aliased lines in the vectors  could improve although.

8 hours ago, Vl3d said:

ksp2-pixelated-ui.png

In all honestly, I rather like it!

Although I assume that it would make a lot of people happy if they added a smoother variant :)

I just now saw that I (?!) changed the title of the article by mistake to "KSP2 looks pretty bad". I would never use that title, I always intended it to be "Pixelated UI Graphics". That's weird... I guess I messed up when I added the photo (?!). Sorry for the confusion.

Just now, Vl3d said:

I just now saw that I (?!) changed the title of the article by mistake to "KSP2 looks pretty bad". I would never use that title, I always intended it to be "Pixelated UI Graphics". That's weird... I guess I messed up when I added the photo (?!). Sorry for the confusion.

No, @Gargamel changed it. See his post 4 spots above yours.