Let's talk about graphics

Vl3d

2 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

No, @Gargamel changed it. See his post 4 spots above yours. 

Not exactly.    That was the title of the other thread.     But I did choose to reflect the over all idea this is now the catch all “let’s make complaints about the ksp2 graphics” thread. 

When the game comes out and we’ve actually gotten to see the graphics firsthand, we can then start a new thread to complain about actual issues. 

It's OK, we can talk about the graphics here.. either good or bad. There was also someone complaining about the parts looking like plastic. I suggested that we could be well served by some matte paint. That thread could come here also.

40 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

It's OK, we can talk about the graphics here.. either good or bad. There was also someone complaining about the parts looking like plastic. I suggested that we could be well served by some matte paint. That thread could come here also.

I think the plastic feel is just because the specular effect looks too large making the ships look  small (real world we rarely see LARGE specular blobs except on water and class). That should be pretty easy to adjust

10 hours ago, Vl3d said:

We need to have a talk. I understand the artistic choice of having the game world be realistically depicted while the UI is representative of Kerbal technology with ASCII art and pixelated graphics and icons. I like the idea.

But some of the graphics are too pixelated. Just look at the icons in map view. It hurts the eyes.

ksp2-pixelated-ui.png

It seems like they are going with a merge of a more modern graphical look, with the look of old-school instrumentation and readouts. I agree in that I would prefer for the text and icons to have a sleeker, more modern look, I just think it would fit better. Also evident in the main in-flight hud, with the SAS direction indicators. I like the suggestion that others have put forth of having multiple UI styles, and, in general, UI customization. That way, we wouldn't have to have contentious arguments on the KSP forums about subjective aesthetic preferences! (not a dig at OP just a general commentary about the forum and this thread)

The one graphical thing i've not heard anyone talk about is in one video, the capsule splashed down in the water and there were both waves (yay!) *and* the water texture had waves on it. It was like someone had draped plastic wrap with a water texture over the ocean.

I think it's fine and I have extensive vision issues. I love the UI. It's clear, concise, informative, and not overly bright and easy to read and understand and has been designed to convey as much information to me as possible. 

4 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

I think the modders will be busy from the moment they get the game on Friday.

Probably... but that's likely to be premature given the amount of work the team is going to do and the number of updates we should see before Sandbox is ready.

Intercept's resident part modder recently described how they want to get everything working and stable and then they'll make it ready and accessible to the modding community 

2 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

The one graphical thing i've not heard anyone talk about is in one video, the capsule splashed down in the water and there were both waves (yay!) *and* the water texture had waves on it. It was like someone had draped plastic wrap with a water texture over the ocean.

but waves do have waves on them...
232792-water-ocean-waves-deep-sea-waters

2 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

232792-water-ocean-waves-deep-sea-waters

I think what @Superfluous J was trying to say is that the water textures didn't look right.  i agree with him.  The capsule seemed to bob up and down without any tilt and in no relation to how the water was moving.  I'd say it was almost worse looking than KSP 1.

3 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Yes and if the texture moved, or better yet rotated through a couple dozen images to loop the motion of each individual wave in the image, it would not look totally 100% unrealistic in the game (video from the pre-release that I watched) when pasted on the waves moving over the surface.

Really and truly, the ocean would look better if that water texture they had used was instead just dark blue.

Edited by Superfluous J