How many people have or will be upgrading for KSP2?

Anth

People Who Will Be Upgrading or Have Upgraded for KSP2 before release.  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Possible configurations excluding memory. Please select all that apply.

• CPU
    • GPU (Graphics Card)
    • PSU (Power Supply)
    • New System
    • Not Upgrading and Not Getting a New System

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/24/2023 at 11:09 AM

22 minutes ago, whatsEJstandfor said:

I've wanted to upgrade from my (barely above minimum requirements) RX 5700 for a year or so but I chose a small form-factor case when I did this build years ago and upgrading has been physically impossible. I'm using this as an excuse opportunity to move components into a rackmount chassis and stick it in my rack. The chassis I ordered is backordered for several weeks, though, so I'm going to be using this 5700 for at least that long.

All this to say, I guess my answer is "No upgrade before launch, but likely GPU and PSU well after release".

What video card are you thinking about going up to? And what's the CPU?

I'm kind of doing a bit of everything. I'm upgrading my desktop pc from a i5 8600/16gb ddr4 to i7 13700/32gb ddr5, while keeping the 2080ti and building everything in a very small form factor but also considering selling my Ryzen 9/3080 laptop.

I don't intend to upgrade because :

• My computer is a bit above lower specs (RTX 2060 with a slightly better CPU than minimum and 16GB RAM), and so it's not entirely out of date
  • I intend to see what happens when the game will be running
  • If I want to upgrade something because I feel like KSP 2 is running a bit laggy, I'll probably wait for some optimization rather than change immediately a 4 years old game rig

I don't want to forget that it's an early access, both in terms of functionalities and performances optimization.

Coincidentally I upgraded the other day from a 3700X to a 5800X3D to get the most out of my AM4 system, so I won't be bothering. If my 6800XT can't run the graphics I've been seeing in the YouTube videos something has gone wrong...

I'll also be trying it out on various project PCs using much older hardware. The fastest I've got is an i7 2600 with 16GB of DDR3 and an AMD R9 290X. It can run games like Modern Warfare 2 and Hogwarts Legacy so hopefully it can run this if there are resolution scaling options.

seemed like the 4070ti was the best bang/buck upgrade from my 2080. i wont lie and say ksp2 wasnt a large factor in that decision that i made two days ago...... but it was kinda getting time anyway. im a 4k AND vr guy so i kinda have to stay on top of gpu power.

gonna stick with the 16gb of ddr4 3100 for the moment unless the general consensus determines 32 will offer a significant benefit

I bought myself a new graphics card as my system was due for an upgrade anyway, but I'm gonna see how the old GTX 1070 runs for a bit just out of curiosity! Then later on this weekend I'll probably install my new 4070TI

1 hour ago, Stoup said:

I bought myself a new graphics card as my system was due for an upgrade anyway, but I'm gonna see how the old GTX 1070 runs for a bit just out of curiosity! Then later on this weekend I'll probably install my new 4070TI

I recommend looking up power requirements for the 4070ti vs the 1070 to see if you need more power. In more recent video cards they have a tendency to have power spikes that lasts for a fraction of a second but can still cause PSUs to turn off due to drawing too much power even if they supposedly satisfy the power requirement officially.

9 minutes ago, Anth12 said:

I recommend looking up power requirements for the 4070ti vs the 1070 to see if you need more power. In more recent video cards they have a tendency to have power spikes that lasts for a fraction of a second but can still cause PSUs to turn off due to drawing too much power even if they supposedly satisfy the power requirement officially.

Hmm... I very much appreciate the heads up! 

Mine's an 800w 80+ bronze. Bought one bigger than I've needed a while back, so now hopefully it'll keep up with the new hardware. I could probably have gotten one with a slightly better rating, but as long as it works I'll be golden.

If I need to upgrade it, I'll just stick the PSU I have now into the same machine my old 1070's going into. I think that ol bessy has my original 550w PSU actually so uh, maybe that'll become necessary either way :joy:

I built a new computer last year in anticipation of KSP 2, so have already upgraded.

11700KF running at 5.1 GHz all core.

RTX3090 FE with corsair waterblock.

32GB DDR4 3600 15 15 15 36

1TB Gen 4 SSD and 1TB Gen 3 SSD and 1TB Sata SSD

55" 4k LG OLED 120Hz TV (GX model, so sits flush to the wall) plus two 25" 1440p monitors.

Fully custom loop cooled with 2x360mm radiators. CPU tops out at 75C and GPU at about 50C.

All integrated into a custom built oak desk.

It took me over a year to build which is why the components are a couple of years old.

Current timespy record holder for this hardware config.

hEHrWF8.jpg

b3Qb8L3.jpg

Edited by Turbo Ben

50 minutes ago, Stoup said:

Hmm... I very much appreciate the heads up! 

Mine's an 800w 80+ bronze. Bought one bigger than I've needed a while back, so now hopefully it'll keep up with the new hardware. I could probably have gotten one with a slightly better rating, but as long as it works I'll be golden.

If I need to upgrade it, I'll just stick the PSU I have now into the same machine my old 1070's going into. I think that ol bessy has my original 550w PSU actually so uh, maybe that'll become necessary either way :joy:

This video talks about these spikes and shows some concerning issues. A 800watt might be ok but I am not certain.

@Turbo Ben Nice computer specs and amazing case/desk.

I expected to want/need to upgrade before too long anyway.  Plan was to get KSP2, see how it runs and plan accordingly, depending  on what it needs.  It's looking like it won't run well... if at all, so my hand may be forced.

I've upgraded from a I5-4440 pc with 8Gb of ram to a heavily optimized I7-4790K when I discovered KSP and experienced what an resource hog it was. 

When KSP2 was announced I knew I wanted, not even knowing I needed, to upgrade when it hit the market. I wanted the best I can to run KSP2. 

So at the end of 2021 I bought a superwide 49" 5120x1440 monitor, and a little while later an RTX 2080 because the uptick in pixels was a bit to much for the GTX 970 which was running 4480x1024 pixels. 

November 2022 it was time, and I started collecting the parts needed to build me a new high performance PC to be ready when KSP2 would be launched. I've ended up with an I7-12700KF, 32Gb of low latency Ram and an 3080 10Gb.

I'm fortunate that I live in an small pretty digitalized country with a huge second hand market, so I could be able to profit from that, a little patience was needed, but I got deals on every part I needed and the only thing I bought new is an 4th Gen PCIE SSD. I was able to take the economic route this way. With the recommended specs dropping I was surprised, because I still don't see as to why I would need the 3080 considering it's a beast of a card pulling 440 watts alone, so I'm eager to see how the journey goes from here. 

I do play other games sometimes, but I didn't upgrade for those, I did it for KSP2 and KSP2 alone. Because it's not just a game for me, it's the game for me. 

Edited by LoSBoL