Docking on mun surface

Not that can see. For that, I'd send up a rover with a Claw on the front, up high. Drive into the side of the lander, start pumping gas.

Might try it on KSC runway first. For some reason I'm having this thought that you'd need to have an engineer run fuel lines after "clawing" the lander, but I'm not sure.

8 hours ago, whiteturtle0923 said:

Is it possible to dock these 2 crafts together?

Not with that configuration, no.  The closest you can get is to land the rocket's bottom port on the rover's top port, but don't try it:  the exhaust from the engines will destroy the rover.

Usually, your best options for surface docking are, in no particular order:

1. Have ports aligned for horizontal docking (such as two rovers, or a rocket with a very low-slung port), though getting them to align is tricky
  2. Use an extremely lightweight craft that can fly around on monopropellant, because such a craft will not destroy things with its exhaust
  3. Use a claw (be aware that the claw, unlike regular docking ports, requires some velocity to dock, but also be aware that the resultant momentum can damage or destroy parts)
  4. Use a mod
  5. Don't surface dock (you can refuel in orbit)
  6. I don't know what your engineer's capabilities are, but you may be able to move your docking ports to a more accessible orientation.  This one may tie into 4, above
  7. If you have Breaking Ground, you can try a robotic arm, assuming that the crossfeed rules let you do this.

Aside from using a Klaw, @Scarecrow71 had a suggestion that works well for me:

Use EVA construction.  You will need an engineer, and two compatible docking ports.  The easiest ones to transport are the small ones, Docking Port Jr.  They have minimal mass, and can even be placed inside cargo containers.

My technique is to place them on both vessels approximately where you think they will work.  Then approach the ship with the rover, and observe how they align.  Back off several meters, and use an Engineer to move one of the docking ports as needed.  

A tip if you are new to EVA Construction- In addition to placing parts, you can also 'move' and rotate parts as well, just like in the VAB.  The icons for those functions is in the upper-right corner of the screen, once you have entered EVA Construction mode.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.