Design The Bat-Mobile... A Bit Of Tech Fun...

Spacescifi

I know Batman is the height of absurdity... but at least his car makes more sense... it's just extreme is all.

So with that in mind and what that Bat-mobile needs to do, how would you design it using the best of modern technology?

What it needs to do:

1. Chase and bring vehicles it is chasing to a full stop.

2. Escape from the police.

3. Take more punishment than ordinary or even police cars.

Ideas: Maybe a hybrid rocket fuel/gasoline engine? Use rocket fuel when max speed is needed... but gas for all else.

As for escaping police that is a bit harder but would likely require disabling cars with onboard tactical weaponry and perhaps high speed drones to disable helicopter cameras.

Armor would be nice to... gas bill going to be really high though.

Edited by Spacescifi

This isn't the answer you want, but I'd make a flashy prop batmobile as bait, and pull up in a regular car once everyone starts targeting the batmobile. I'd also not dress up in a suit that instantly identifies me as well.

1 hour ago, Meecrob said:

This isn't the answer you want, but I'd make a flashy prop batmobile as bait, and pull up in a regular car once everyone starts targeting the batmobile. I'd also not dress up in a suit that instantly identifies me as well.

I suddenly want some media interpretation of this where all the superheroes and supervillains are paid actors as part of the conspiracy by the police and organized crime to both bolster the police funding and for the real criminals to do their criming undisturbed.

As for the topic, though, yeah, I think a turbine-powered hybrid vehicle is a good approach. I'd take something like a helicopter kerosene turbine or maybe even a train/submarine/tank diesel turbine for power, and have both a CVT drive from that turbine to the wheels that can be used at high speeds, and a generator/battery/electric drive setup to be used at lower speeds for optimal torque. This is similar to modern supercar hybrids (Lamborghini Sian FKP 37, Corvette E-Ray), but going with a turbine would allow you to go with even better power-to-weight ration at the expense of, well, making it very expensive. But a turbine intake in the hood of a Batmobile is a classic, and I think that's enough of a reason to go with this design.

I don't think actual rocket boost makes a lot of sense, though. Yeah, it can give you accelerations significantly higher than 1G, which you might want, but it's a nightmare to build. Although, if we use bleed air from the turbine and run it into an afterburner style booster in the back... I mean, it'd give you the cartoonish flames out the back and maybe another half a G of acceleration while eating half of your fuel tank for that one silly boost. That actually does sound very Batman. Yeah, lets go with that. No real jet power, but a jet afterburner utilizing bleed air from the compressor on the main power turbine.

Other than that, armor plating, obviously, but I think it should be kept to critical systems. If you start building a turbine-driven tank, fifteen minutes in you'll realize you're designing an Abrams, and that doesn't seem to fit the style. Just your basic ballistic protection against gun fire for the driver and critical systems. Tires I would make airless. They're a hassle for civilian vehicles, but are used in some military vehicles, and I think they're a must for this build. One less thing to armor, too.

Can't have any weapons on Batmobile, which is a shame, but harpoons aren't as silly of an idea as it might seem and would fit the style. You can design a launcher based on a standard police grenade launcher - might even be able to repurpose the ammo from either gas grenade or beanbag rounds. A fairly simple harpoon will puncture most street cars, embed well in a trunk, and allow you to bring that vehicle to a halt. Especially, seeing how this Batmobile is probably going to weigh like a semi with everything we're putting into it.

Finally, one thing I haven't seen a lot of in Batman films/games (I'm not much for comics) is cammo. I don't think we're going to be disguising this version of Batmobile as someone's sedan, but there are now adaptive e-paints for cars on the market, that might help it blend in better with the environment in the right sort of situations. Failing that, just paint it black. Like, the blackest black. Add some infrared lights to go fully dark, and good luck finding that car at night. Again, very Batman, if you ask me.

2 hours ago, K^2 said:

I suddenly want some media interpretation of this where all the superheroes and supervillains are paid actors as part of the conspiracy by the police and organized crime to both bolster the police funding and for the real criminals to do their criming undisturbed.

As for the topic, though, yeah, I think a turbine-powered hybrid vehicle is a good approach. I'd take something like a helicopter kerosene turbine or maybe even a train/submarine/tank diesel turbine for power, and have both a CVT drive from that turbine to the wheels that can be used at high speeds, and a generator/battery/electric drive setup to be used at lower speeds for optimal torque. This is similar to modern supercar hybrids (Lamborghini Sian FKP 37, Corvette E-Ray), but going with a turbine would allow you to go with even better power-to-weight ration at the expense of, well, making it very expensive. But a turbine intake in the hood of a Batmobile is a classic, and I think that's enough of a reason to go with this design.

I don't think actual rocket boost makes a lot of sense, though. Yeah, it can give you accelerations significantly higher than 1G, which you might want, but it's a nightmare to build. Although, if we use bleed air from the turbine and run it into an afterburner style booster in the back... I mean, it'd give you the cartoonish flames out the back and maybe another half a G of acceleration while eating half of your fuel tank for that one silly boost. That actually does sound very Batman. Yeah, lets go with that. No real jet power, but a jet afterburner utilizing bleed air from the compressor on the main power turbine.

Other than that, armor plating, obviously, but I think it should be kept to critical systems. If you start building a turbine-driven tank, fifteen minutes in you'll realize you're designing an Abrams, and that doesn't seem to fit the style. Just your basic ballistic protection against gun fire for the driver and critical systems. Tires I would make airless. They're a hassle for civilian vehicles, but are used in some military vehicles, and I think they're a must for this build. One less thing to armor, too.

Can't have any weapons on Batmobile, which is a shame, but harpoons aren't as silly of an idea as it might seem and would fit the style. You can design a launcher based on a standard police grenade launcher - might even be able to repurpose the ammo from either gas grenade or beanbag rounds. A fairly simple harpoon will puncture most street cars, embed well in a trunk, and allow you to bring that vehicle to a halt. Especially, seeing how this Batmobile is probably going to weigh like a semi with everything we're putting into it.

Finally, one thing I haven't seen a lot of in Batman films/games (I'm not much for comics) is cammo. I don't think we're going to be disguising this version of Batmobile as someone's sedan, but there are now adaptive e-paints for cars on the market, that might help it blend in better with the environment in the right sort of situations. Failing that, just paint it black. Like, the blackest black. Add some infrared lights to go fully dark, and good luck finding that car at night. Again, very Batman, if you ask me.

Good design.

I still think having some high speed flying drones deploy would be must one the police heliopter starts tracking the bat-mobile.

The flying drone would have to fly up and spray both the searchlight and the helicopter camera with a sticky adhesive that blocks visual view.

And the batmobile must only go out at night.

During the day just hit up Superman to fly you around... or if on bad terms with him as Bats sometimes is there is always Wonderwoman.

For airless tires I presume solid rubber mixed with metal mesh for cushioning.

The Bat-mobile is going to need really good shock absorbers!

Edited by Spacescifi

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.