I don't like complete retexturing of planetary bodies

lajoswinkler

I'm ok with enhanced textures, more diverse and richer colors and detailed terrain mesh because KSP is very poor in that department, but from what I have seen so far, all planetary bodies in KSP2 have nothing in common with KSP ones. Large geographical features seem to be completely gone. I can only recognize Kerbin's features.

This means some of the long-established lore is lost. That's not good. :/

It's pretty clear that Intercept wants to do their own take on the Kerbol system. I think you'll have to rely on the mods for KSP-style planets to make a comeback. Given that the tech is already in KSP2 and a lot of it is going to be just replacing textures, I have little doubt that we'll see mods like that really early, and as time progresses, we'll probably see some that get the same kind of attention to detail as the official KSP2 planets.

To be clear, I don't want to use mods as an excuse to lack a feature, but in this case, it really is one of two choices that the studio had to make, and each one would leave a lot of people unhappy, so this sounds exactly like the place for mods.

7 minutes ago, lajoswinkler said:

long-established lore

Was there any? Or was it all fanmade?

Dunno what you're talking about, Moho is still brown with craters, you can't see Eve because of the clouds but I'd bet there are still seas and mountains, Gilly looks the same, so does Kerbin, Mun looks more like you would expect a moon of this size and composition to look like, Minmus hasn't changed, still has hills and flats,  that old picture of Duna is very old, but the new one is still red, has valleys, craters and polar caps, Ike is gray and uneven, Dres got a ring but otherwise looks the same, Jool is green, Laythe has a lot of water and islands, Vall, being tidally locked, has a bit less ice on the Jool facing side, otherwise looks the same, still has ridges made of ice. Admittedly Tylo look more Ganymedish, but the surface from space always looked crazy, Bop is still a small lump, Pol still looks weird, Eeloo still has ice and brown canyons.

What large geographical features are missing?

Just now, The Aziz said:

Dunno what you're talking about, Moho is still brown with craters

Don't forget about the Mohole, which is supposedly making a comeback! I assume this'll be one of the bespoke, more finely mapped features of the Kerbol system along with the peak on Eve.

Source: Matt's interview

1 minute ago, The Aziz said:

you can't see Eve because of the clouds but I'd bet there are still seas and mountains

We've had some footage of a lander going through the Eve's atmosphere from ObsidianAnt, and we had the confirmation that there are both land and oceans from that video as well. Video in question in the spoiler.

Spoiler

21 minutes ago, lajoswinkler said:

I'm ok with enhanced textures, more diverse and richer colors and detailed terrain mesh because KSP is very poor in that department, but from what I have seen so far, all planetary bodies in KSP2 have nothing in common with KSP ones. Large geographical features seem to be completely gone. I can only recognize Kerbin's features.

This means some of the long-established lore is lost. That's not good. :/

1. Learn how to mod
  2. Learn how to do textures
  3. Make your own "retrofication mod" for KSP2
  4. Profit!
4 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Dres got a ring but otherwise looks the same

This is the only point I have to disagree with, significantly.

Dres looks way different, and way better.

19 minutes ago, intelliCom said:

This is the only point I have to disagree with, significantly.

Dres looks way different, and way better.

Bright and dark patches, craters. In slightly different hue, I admit. But aside from the middle ridge and the ring, the basic idea behind it stayed the same. It looks better now thanks to more detail, not significant changes in design.

Edited by The Aziz

52 minutes ago, lajoswinkler said:

I can only recognize Kerbin's features.

Are you ... just looking at Eve's cloud layer? Because every other planet seems to have the same fairly-recognizable large geographical features...