What did you do in KSP2 today?

Dman979

On 2/25/2023 at 3:36 PM, tstein said:

not an appendage of english .. several languages use article of that form  for Luna  and Terra (while other celestial bodies names after gods do not  get an article as god's names do not receive articles.

"The" is English article so it should've been ditched entirely in any form.

32 minutes ago, lajoswinkler said:

"The" is English article so it should've been ditched entirely in any form.

My point remaisn, in portuguese we say "A Terra" and "A lua" for  Terra and Luna, but we speak Marte, Venus, Jupiter for mars, venus, jupiter... without any article.  Terra and Luna are exception to the rule in several languages.

22 hours ago, justmeman117 said:

Hmmm... I love the look, it's quite close to the real deal, but this is a tough one to troubleshoot. I don't know enough about KSP 2's drag model yet, but it does seem to consider certain parts very draggy considering the sluggish top speed of my panther powered jump jet.

In my build I made a deliberate choice to get most of my intake air from inline precoolers, since those should be fairly low drag, being so incorporated into the fuselage. I only added the two small ones to the 0.625 meter tanks at the wing roots for realism purposes (running a jet engine WITHOUT a visible intake bothers me on a physical level as a jet engine mechanic). I chose these small ones, because they get the job done, without causing much drag. Your design appears to have two large scoops, and two hypersonic scoops on it. I generally try to avoid the large scoops, because they just look draggy to me (and probably are). So to troubleshoot, I would try removing the radially attached intakes. Then see how it flies.

The whiplash may also need a ton of intake air. I mentioned in my post, I used 4 precoolers, which should be WAY more than it needs, and keep it gasping as high as possible. When flight testing, monitor your whiplash in the parts manager, see if its KN value jumps around up and down. This is a sign it's being air starved. If it is being air starved, I recommend replacing one of your fuel tanks with another precooler intake.

If those dont work, then I have 4 other things I'd check. I generally put my landing gear just inside fuselage parts, because I hate how those bulges stick out if you just slap them on. I see yours are embedded in the wings. It's possible those are causing a ton of drag that occlusion prevented on my build.

I've also never used an empenage as a nose cone before. I see why you did it, since the F-104 has a long nose. But, since it's usually used in game with the fat end facing forward, it could have some weird drag calculation where the fat end forward actually reduces drag, and the pointy end forward increases it. You could try replacing that part with the 1.25-0.625 Methane tank, and a 0.625 nose cone. It would still look decent, and might fix any drag coming off the original empenage part.

The other two big things... So Vaos (a youtuber) figured out that any open and unused attachment points (the green balls on parts in VAB) actually trigger drag, in the drag calculation. For example, a fuel tank with no nosecone. So in his builds, he tries to streamline his builds by putting nosecones on any open attachment points (even if he has to hide the nose cone for asthetic reasons). This, btw, is why he puts nose cones on the exhaust end of his Rapier engines (a weird design choice, but it massively reduces drag).

I see two possible parts that might have open attachment points. First, that antenna you're using as a pitot tube on the front. If I recall correcly, in KSP 1, that had an attachment point (no idea if KSP 2 has one or not).... Also, it's quite possible an extended antenna is triggering drag too, maybe try a test flight without it. Second, the tail end of the 0.625 rocket propellant tank. If there isn't a 0.625 nose cone there, embedded inside that thud motor, then put one on right there.

Those are my recommendations. Hopefully you figure out what's causing the drag. If you do, lemme know, I'd like to know what parts to avoid as far as drag is concerned. When you do your test flights, leave it in a 15 degree climb, and level off between 12,000 and 18,000 meters. If the whiplash never gets up to above mach 1 by that altitude to begin with, then the thrust it produces is pretty bad. It really needs ram air to produce more power. For that, it needs more speed (even in denser air, it seems to run better with more speed). For more speed, it needs to fly high, so the drag can drop off. So I've found a gradual climb to that altitude to be best.

(PS, it's also quite possible that the inline cockpit somehow causes a buggy amount of drag. I haven't used that cockpit yet, it's another difference between your plane and mine).

bro, its the intake, the "scoop" looking intake causes so much drag

Help build my 9 year old his first SSTO and explained orbital mechanics, build a nice SR71-like jet, build another "acrobat" jet and tried threading the needle through the radio telescope and under the bridge at KSC. I succeeded doing both but not in one flight, will keep practicing tomorrow :D

As I continue to stretch my legs in KSP2, I will branch out farther and farther with each successive launch.  Or, more accurately, re-learn how to do stuff here that I know how to do in KSP1.  For example, landing on Minmus.  With multiple bounces because I normally let MJ land for me.

849mYUI.png

One thing I noticed when going EVA here was that every new ladder requires you to press F to grab onto it?  Unlike in KSP1 where successive ladders were just part of the same ladder?  Not sure if that's a bug or not, but it is annoying.

I tried building a cargo plane around the 5 m cargo bay. It flew. I think it'd be possible to build a floor and loading ramp out of wings and control surfaces.

Once they've got the resource flow system sorted, it should be possible to pile on enough RAPIERs to make a LKO cargo hauler!

?imw=2048&imh=1152&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

1 hour ago, Scarecrow71 said:

As I continue to stretch my legs in KSP2, I will branch out farther and farther with each successive launch.  Or, more accurately, re-learn how to do stuff here that I know how to do in KSP1.  For example, landing on Minmus.  With multiple bounces because I normally let MJ land for me.

849mYUI.png

One thing I noticed when going EVA here was that every new ladder requires you to press F to grab onto it?  Unlike in KSP1 where successive ladders were just part of the same ladder?  Not sure if that's a bug or not, but it is annoying.

OK, that lander with the ladder has Blue Origin written all over it! ;)

Landed on Duna. Parachutes don't do much, or they deploy too late, so I was at 200m/s few hundred meters above the ground. Thankfully the aerospike is powerful. Flipped anyway trying to fix the landing gear but managed to straighten it up for liftoff (lost only one landing leg in the process).

And then the performance issues hit me. I already had frame drops on descent but as soon as I went back to space I noticed the good ol' seconds per frame whenever I had a pixel of the ground in sight, it's even worse than on Kerbin.

Got KSP 2 as a birthday present today, installed, to the VAB, built a big rocket and that cool ship seen in the trailers:

xDp7H7S.jpg

...it did not go well:

khISeQP.jpg

So I settled with something smaller for the beginning. Back to the drawing board:

ypo6ffZ.jpg

And finally, the joy of that sweet sweet camera angle flip when orbit is reached... objective achieved (for this day).

nj8nUHX.jpg

I have to say, this game looks very beautiful. Looking forward to more adventures in KSP 2!

Today I was playing with Aeroplanes. I build simple plane with 1 Wheesley engine and I used it as a platform for testing of draginess of Air Intakes. I was measuring maximum speed of the aeroplane in altitude between 3000-3500m.

My results are:

Shock Cone Air Intake:                                   375 m/s

Cirkular Intake:                                                   336 m/s

2 x Adjustable Ramp Radial Intake:        560 m/s

XM-G50 Radial Air Intake:                           291 m/s

Adjustable Ramp Intake:                               611 m/s

Mk1 Diverterless Supersonic Intake:    585 m/s

Spoiler

Aircrafts:

BUrslEo.jpg

Shock Cone Air Intake:
1bH5vmZ.jpg

Cirkular Intake:

ZGg3Lhs.jpg

2 x Adjustable Ramp Radial Intake:

0pwieES.jpg

XM-G50 Radial Air Intake:

O3UK27Q.jpg

Adjustable Ramp Intake:

JFXx3WG.jpg

Mk1 Diverterless Supersonic Intake:

rvd3BnP.jpg

16 hours ago, dragonart777 said:

today i landed on  minmus  i well post pics in the morning as it is 2:20 am  and it took me a good bit figuring out how i was going to get there and save fuel to get home.   but ended up dropping my pods  for a safe landing.   minmus  is not a friendly planet.  your kerbals tears  well bounce on the ground like a rubber ball  and then hover.    not joking.   had to drop the pod with 1.800 fuel left  and watched it bounce on the ground  you well see it in the pic.      i made it tho.  safe  but my kerbal is asking for a rescue mission,  so i well send one tomorew  after i post pics  of this mission.     god speed all  

DK7Djpj.jpeguGmgfsY.jpeglmsXV8w.jpeg

2 hours ago, Periple said:

I tried building a cargo plane around the 5 m cargo bay. It flew. I think it'd be possible to build a floor and loading ramp out of wings and control surfaces.

Once they've got the resource flow system sorted, it should be possible to pile on enough RAPIERs to make a LKO cargo hauler!

?imw=2048&imh=1152&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

oO

wow

Yesterday, Valentina left earth for the mun.

I5R38QY.jpg

And today she arrived at her destination.

b9xzIoe.jpg 4DaXdAa.jpg

And there she found an unexpected mystery!

Spoiler

A small ring buried in the ground.

qYIyoVL.jpg fyjkVKt.png

eIgVewi.png

Oh no it's definitely too big. Can't bring it back home.

B0qwXKW.jpg

Her mission was done, but she did not want to come home already. So she went on another adventure.

7038oag.jpg 4Vc3kC1.jpg

rvLTes1.png

She loved her trip to Minmus, but did miss her planet a little.

TIL9xNx.jpg

I got mad and rage-quit. How are their so many bugs and just things that make no sense?

How do simple things like the feature of hitting shift to view more details break?

Seriously?

This isn't early access this is Alpha access and I had to pay 50$ to be even more mad at the world.

This isn't what any of us expected and it's extremely disappointing considering how good KSP1 was.

Refund Requested

On another note, if you send me an e-mail to verify my account, I should only have to click verify in the email, opening another page and having to click again is just annoying.

Edited by KSP2SUCKS
NEW REASONS TO BE MAD

I refined my future flying boat, changed up the wing shape and added flaps, repositioned the engines and landing gear, and changed the color scheme up. Flies much better now.

2JkV2Hy.jpg

wvJEZAj.jpg

EeVScdd.jpg