What did you do in KSP2 today?

Dman979

1 hour ago, Chilkoot said:

When the framerate drops too low, keyboard input fails.  Pan your camera to below your rocket so you can only see the sky and the rocket in-frame (this pumps up your FPS dramatically), then give it another launch and see if you have better control.

I tend to play at settings too high for my hardware, so I have to do this every launch/landing.

i dont have that issue, setting my settings to low or high or medium doesn't affect my fps, but what does is too fuel and delta V? or whatever is going on there, I can look anywhere, zoom in or out or eye ball the flames or inside of a tank or the sky and the fps wont change for me and I have a NASA super computer and yet it still bricks at 1-7fps 

Today I wanted to finish the mission I started monday. However it was a nightmare. I had so many bugs. Had to restart the game maybe 20 times tonight and yesterday was worse. Today I hated my session. Ship exploding without reason, or just loosing parts randomly, saves corrupting on approach for docking, saves destroying ship on reload, physics bugs, crazy autopilot, SAS loosing an axis, SAS reverting an axis, loosing orbit display, trajectories errors, wrong results from the maneuver nodes, ship fuel tanks emptying on reloading, KSC popping in space and I'm sure I forgot some. Oh, of course! Forums website with messed up CSS. 

I'm not mad about it, I'm disapointed. I realy want to like this game. It's KSP with new stuff and cool graphics. But right now it is a mess. And in it's current state and with the bad reviews, this is kind of sad. I know this is early access and I dont mind some bugs. But this is bad for both KSP's and Private Division's reputations. 

Management made a bad decision and I hope the dev team will rethink their quality control. 

Sorry for this rant, this should be an happy forum tread. I'll take a break and hopefully come back to KSP 2 in a few weeks.

Today I took a break from space and flew to the north pole to see how gnarly the terrain was.   Close to the pole it get's pretty untraversable, but on the way there there's plenty of beautiful landscapes to take in.  I'm impressed with the attention to detail on Kerbin.  I haven't explored too much yet but I'd like to see some higher peaks.

JjuDf4w.jpg

Also went chasing clouds to see if I could find thunder clouds a la launch cinematic, but I suspect this could be a down the road or future mod thing unless anyone's seen any in game?  This was the best I could do:

QeRnAAr.jpg

Another day of fun in KSP, avoiding the going to space bugs this time :)

SM

Did some more flying and refining last night (navigation lights, passenger space, a couple more struts), found some terrain features I hadn't seen, checked out the rivers, tried to land on the island in the middle of the big crater but fat-fingered the throttle, brakes, and action groups. Any landing you can walk away from, I guess...

Spoiler

x263R0I.jpg

RXYe4h2.jpg

SVkGup1.jpg

KM8VQhT.jpg

Edited by regex

Yesterday I realized something.  We are all complete KSP2 n00bs.  It doesn’t matter how many hours we might have in KSP 1 (thousands in my case) - we are all still newbs.  KSP2 may look a bit like KSP1, but the engine and physics are different, the parts don’t perform identically, the game seems a little less forgiving, and the UI is different, buggy, and under development.

So what I did in KSP2 yesterday was start over from the beginning, coming at the game like it was 1955 and I was Kergei Korolev.  I quite literally tried to approach the game like I was playing for the first time, starting with simple unmanned sounding rockets, testing how the parts work, trying to relearn the systems, varying flight profiles, progressing designs incrementally, and slowly and carefully pushing the envelope.  

It’s validated my thinking that simple and conservative design and flying is critical.  Any overcomplicated craft is a Kraken lure at the moment.  But despite encountering the Kraken with a piloted Agena docking target-alike, and really not liking the visual aspect of the brew maneuver plan system and lack of post-SOI-change orbit track, I had a pretty good time and got better at the game.  Tonight is going to be a Zonk/Muna themed affair.

Edited by Wheehaw Kerman

6 minutes ago, regex said:

Did some more flying and refining last night (navigation lights, passenger space, a couple more struts), found some terrain features I hadn't seen, checked out the rivers, tried to land on the island in the middle of the big crater but fat-fingered the throttle, brakes, and action groups. Any landing you can walk away from, I guess...

Hide contents

snip

I really love that design. Can you make it in orange and yellow? It fondly reminds me of the Sea Duck from Talespin
Heck I'm gonna build one myself.

3 hours ago, ShadowZone said:

After many failed attempts, I finally managed to land on and return from the Mun. Including some really hefty Kraken wrangling where I had to edit save files to restore functionality.

I think at this point that Saturn-alike designs that are this faithful are basically Kraken lures, and it looks like you caught a few big ones.  I may get to the point of a Mün landing tonight - I’m going to be going as simple, minimalist and low count as possible.  I’ll report back.

15 minutes ago, Snafu225 said:

I really love that design. Can you make it in orange and yellow? It fondly reminds me of the Sea Duck from Talespin
Heck I'm gonna build one myself.

It does have a kind of slim Grumman Goose vibe. I hope we get prop engines at some point!

Edited by regex

I tried to return from Duna. Turns out I can't. Despite my best efforts, the trajectory gets wrong every time after a burn and/or SOI change and the intercept stops showing.

Since I'm in a transfer window, I'm not playing the game till that's fixed. Too bad because I really like it.

Assembled the transfer vehicle as shown in the pictures below, but can’t actually use it because of undocking bugs :-(

Spoiler

0pP9Lkh.png

hl8QynH.png

jnypNuC.png

vOPHOJM.png

vwr4aVt.png

Edited by slubman
Added some pictures in a spoiler tag

I managed to get to Minmus and back today without too much fuss.    I made the booster far too large for 2 reasons.  First I wanted to try and make something "heavy" lift and second the engineering helper in the VAB is currently quite bad at estimating delta-v when you add fuel lines and such.  The first stage had about half fuel left when I ditched it and the second had more like 2/3.  Probably could've taken the command pod to Laythe and back.

nmljj4V.jpg

i4rTgf4.jpg

lFSh9DR.jpg

1tqLvUA.jpg

E2bbNgD.jpg

OvLN5Y5.jpg

I'd call that a successful Mun landing. I think I saw it called out in another thread, but there's some optimization to be had around the HUD. Noticed an improvement on the FPS counter when I stowed it for the screenshot. My legs are woefully inadequate for this lander - it's all I could do to keep it from toppling over before going EVA. Did you know that Q/E while EVA does a little sidestep? I guess the next step is Minmus and beyond. I still need some of the basic functionality from KSP1 to make its way over, so don't plan on seeing a total Kerbol system exploration post, a la @Vl3d.

Kerbal-Space-Program-2-3-3-2023-4-27-12-

Spent a couple of hours trying to overcome bugs building air launch rockets.  Logged a few and made some progress.  Reckon I can get a small probe to the surface of Duna with this soon if I don't get distracted by taking screenshots.  The pause function is super useful.

a3VT9pa.jpg

SM

I experimented with making the Dark Star from Top Gun: Mavrick. I managed to get it up to a speed about Mach 4.9 at 12,500m during one of the first test flights. 

202303011412531.jpg

Spoiler

202303011411081.jpg

202303012252441.jpg

Based off this test data I think with a little bit of optimization I think I can get Dark Star to a max speed of Mach 5.2 (just past hypersonic) at 14,000m.

202303012259301.jpg

I still need to learn how to land this without skidding off the center line. 

Edited by Sivako Aerospace

On 3/1/2023 at 10:01 PM, i dont know how to forum said:

Also discovered Bill had somehow snuck aboard a craft that had previously glitched into a Kerbin escape trajectory.

I swear he wasn't there when I launched! I have video proof! It's not my fault!

Rescue mission soon... hopefully...

Rescue mission currently underway!

IhItKUt.jpg

NOch3PG.jpg

Meanwhile...

fvUcDUX.jpg

usyHgLf.jpg

OS6xla3.jpg

Let's just call this a successful Launch Escape System test.

Don't understand why my rocket starts tilting the moment it leaves the launch pad, but I suspect it's related to fairings and aerodynamics. My first attempt was with a normal fairing used for an interstage, but when that version failed I tried surrounding the whole pod with tube fairings instead, and it still fails. A normal, closed fairing isn't an option if I want a LES. More testing required, I can't tell if I'm at fault or KSP2 is, but I do suspect there's something wonky with fairings especially since you can't snap normal fairings against parts to create interstage fairings anymore.

I did an extensive recon flight to see if the desert temple or the desert base was still there.

Haldas Kerman hasn't seen anything.

Kerbal-Space-Program-2-03-03-2023-21-57-

Haldas is happy.
Kerbal-Space-Program-2-03-03-2023-21-59-
Kerbal-Space-Program-2-03-03-2023-22-01-
Kerbal-Space-Program-2-03-03-2023-22-07-

Desert storm vibes.
Kerbal-Space-Program-2-03-03-2023-22-29-

Landing in the desert was a success
Kerbal-Space-Program-2-03-03-2023-22-49-

The plane has reached ~1460m/s and has peaked at around 31700m ASL. 

Edited by Uuky

I've put that dreaded Duna mission to an end. Instead of relying on broken maneuvers, I made one in seemingly random place in orbit that would've, by my logic, not knowledge, put me on correct trajectory, burned and voila. 

Although the browser based transfer window planner lied to me. It said the transfer was going to take less than 300 days.

It took 2 years and poor Bill did a full circle around the sun before Kerbin appeared where it should've been. Short correction burn and I was on impact trajectory. Reentry scared me even despite lack of heating because the pod wasn't exactly slowing down until it was very low above the ground.

Whatever, I guess I can try other planets now. One way trips until everything related to stability is fixed.