What did you do in KSP2 today?

Dman979

I attempted the "Delighttest" challenge.    Made several attempts at a minimalist design with a methalox engine.  It was pretty small and light and after many iterations it had pretty good flight characteristics. 

But, sadly it ran out of fuel before it got to the end of the runway.

I really wonder how you guys go so far in this game. Orbits are not visible some times. I lose parts in flight. Maneuver Nodes are incorrect. SAS is spinning all the time. Its impossible to get somewhere in this game for me. Damn EA -.-

Completed stretch challenge (land on Minmus then Mun) as far as possible. Bugs experienced:

- Tanks draining radially through decouplers without fuel sharing on.

- Being reset from orbital to suborbital when coming out of time warp near Mun.

- Ship trajectory vanishing.

Edited by RCgothic

4 hours ago, Schafsviech said:

I really wonder how you guys go so far in this game. Orbits are not visible some times. I lose parts in flight. Maneuver Nodes are incorrect. SAS is spinning all the time. Its impossible to get somewhere in this game for me. Damn EA -.-

In short, stubbornness. My personal record is only a single total mission restart due to bugs. Usually it's more like 2-3. It's a crap-shoot but eventually you get lucky. 

Today I'm working on a Kerbin SSTO/Duna Lander/Tylo ascent stage for a possible easter egg grand tour. 

Edited by silent_prtoagonist

Today I attempted to do part 6 of the Duba Mastery challenge:  land a probe on Duna and return it to Kerbin.  Got all the way to descent on Duna when I realized that all the fuel in the lander stage burned out during previous stages.  Crossfeed really should default to OFF.  So I get to do this one all over.

Interestingly enough, Orb8ter's video on building this particular lander works rather well in KSP2 (he did it for KSP1).  The only minor difference is you need far more monopropellant than his video shows.

1 hour ago, Scarecrow71 said:

I realized that all the fuel in the lander stage burned out during previous stages.  Crossfeed really should default to OFF.

I believe this is a bug with upper stages that have landing legs attached.  I've been fighting this as well, and it doesn't seem like x-feed settings have any effect, sadly.

Today I tested "SM" and "XS" nose cones. I flew a small simple plane driven by one "Panther" engine running on dry mode.

Results:

Mk3A Nose Cone                                 668 m/s

Mk3B Slanted Nose Cone               668 m/s

Mk5H Nose Cone                                 314 m/s

TNC-01 (aerodynamic nose cone) + FL-A10 (small adapter)       318 m/s

5mscBcf.jpg

Spoiler

Mk3A Nose Cone:

tcc61sC.jpg

Mk3B Slanted Nose Cone:

UsFOld1.jpg

Mk5H Nose Cone :

VtXp9GU.jpg

TNC-01 (aerodynamic nose cone) + FL-A10 (small adapter):

MPGYZTi.jpg

Sent this ship (well part of it, anyway) to Duna.

zywB0X2.png

The lander/return stage landed right next to the transfer stage.

kHUg3rB.png

I came for the views.  Stayed for the music.

scx3UHu.png

Had 8 m/s left in the tank after course correction on return to Kerbin.  Talk about tight margins!

Mrckr72.png

Happy landings!

I lengthened the speisplain a bit so I could fit in a reaction wheel, better RCS fuel tankage , and solar panels (little cargo bay) which necessitated some canards. Re-entry practice also showed a need for more authority in normal flight (it's a real pig). Also tried out the shock cone intakes, I don't think it makes any real difference considering how I fly it. Gave it a test station target to see what I could expect from the fuel load and RCS layout, performed really well even though the SAS is psychotic right now (it severely overcorrects). Lastly, the color changed because we can't color pick from existing parts but it's really NBD because the gold looks kinda nice, I think.

uJaFAqR.jpg

dcENRc0.jpg

Edited by regex

2 hours ago, Starhawk said:

Sent this ship (well part of it, anyway) to Duna.

zywB0X2.png

The lander/return stage landed right next to the transfer stage.

kHUg3rB.png

I came for the views.  Stayed for the music.

scx3UHu.png

Had 8 m/s left in the tank after course correction on return to Kerbin.  Talk about tight margins!

Mrckr72.png

Happy landings!

Did you experience fuel draining from the lander?  If not, how did you get around that?

12 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Did you experience fuel draining from the lander?  If not, how did you get around that?

Nope.  Had that in an earlier attempt.  That one used a medium decoupler.
After that I decided to try using only the small size decoupler.  Not that that is necessarily the solution.  I just avoided the medium decoupler after that one experience and haven't seen the fuel drain bug since.

Happy landings!

I have a Week Three "Val Level" Submission that has as much win as the bugs will allow. I managed two docking separations, both failures for reasons mostly related to game bugs. This was my first foray into a serious mission build in KSP2, and having been through much now, I have some thoughts I'm sure many others have had (I know this because I've read a few of these already). My personal experience highlights these things as being of peak importance:

1. Docking port separation(failure) is really a game killer for anything other than flybys. 

2.  Sometimes the craft loses an inconsequential part and the game registers the craft as destroyed

3. Saving is like playing roullette.

4. dV readouts with mixed engines would be nice. Maneuver nodes don't read anything if your dV registers as zero.

5. Warping is as dangerous as in KSP1.

6. Has anyone else encountered the origami singularity?

Despite all of the frustration, the game is still fun. The high of getting my rover to finally start traversing land was enough for me to scour the forums for solutions and burning quite a few hours "troubleshooting" something I could have easily played and succeeded in in KSP1. But the clouds, the music, the procedural wings... there's enough to be excited about that I can't help but hope others are as excited as I am.

TL:DR- Today I had fun in KSP2. I'll post another video soon.