What did you do in KSP2 today?

Dman979

On 3/2/2023 at 6:29 AM, Ace76inDC said:

well said btw.  same here.  you're only as old as you feel!

That would make me the oldest person I have ever even heard of!

No not that, how about .... old as you pretend you are :)   that would make me a LOT younger

Once again, I attempted a Duna landing with an unmanned probe.  Due to the fuel leakage glitch, I put the Wombat landing kegs on a small panel...which didn't work.  By the time I decoupled in Duna orbit, my lander stage had only 500 dV remaining.

Tomorrow...back to the drawing board!

Edited by Scarecrow71

Had an entertaining Eve mission failure: parachute failed, lander lithobroke.  Eve is much better-looking than it was in KSP1 and the music is nice.

I also smacked a Minmus Challenge lander and river into a mountain while timewarping.  P.A.I.G.E. called that “problematic”.  Minmus is also much better-looking and better-sounding Is it just me or are the mountains of Minmus taller than in KSP1?

I’m beginning to get used to the Maneuver Plans and burn timer.  They’ll be great once fully developed.  No bugs encountered aside from the in-SOI trajectories being invisible.

4 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Once again, I attempted a Duna landing with an unmanned probe.  Due to the fuel leakage glitch, I put the Wombat landing kegs on a small panel...which didn't work.  By the time I decoupled in Duna orbit, my lander stage had only 500 dV remaining.

Tomorrow...back to the drawing board!

Does the drone have 'chutes?  If it's a small drone just drogue 'chutes will do.  They can slow you down enough that you can land with a very small amount of dV.

Happy landings!

8 hours ago, Starhawk said:

Does the drone have 'chutes?  If it's a small drone just drogue 'chutes will do.  They can slow you down enough that you can land with a very small amount of dV.

Happy landings!

That is one of the other problems I'm having.  I fire the chutes, and they disappear.  I think it is due to how fast I'm traveling...but I thought atmospheric events were turned off?

1 hour ago, Scarecrow71 said:

I fire the chutes, and they disappear.  I think it is due to how fast I'm traveling...but I thought atmospheric events were turned off?

Atmospheric drag is still in place - so parachutes *do* work, but they also get ripped off by the same effect if you're moving too fast when they are deployed.  I believe it's just heating from atmo effects (friction) that's currently not enabled.

3 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

I thought atmospheric events were turned off?

Just thermal effects AFAIK. 

3 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

I fire the chutes, and they disappear

This sounds like it could be aero forces destroying them.  The flight log may tell you what is happening

I think the part manager tab for the 'chutes shows whether it's safe to deploy.   For safe deployment the 'chutes require your velocity to be low enough that they can tolerate the aerodynamic forces.

I circularized my orbit around Duna before attempting landing in order to reduce the velocity my craft has when entering the atmosphere and to decide where I land.  If you lack the dV to circularize, then you may have issues.  I don't know if it's possible to aerocapture at Duna but if it is then it might be very finicky requiring numerous passes through the atmo at periapsis, each one bringing down the apo a little bit.

Otherwise, I guess the solution is to find a way around the fuel leakage bug or pack a bunch more fuel to begin with.

On the topic at hand, I landed a probe on Eve yesterday.  It landed on the engine bell.  In the dark.

Happy landings!  (eventually)

Ok, so I'm still working on landing on Duna and getting back as part of the Duna Mastery challenge.  I did this in Kerpollo with a crewed lander, and this time I only need an uncrewed lander.  How hard can this be?

Impossible, I tell thee!  Built a ship that should have been more than enough, only to get to the surface with but a miniscule amount of dV remaining!  Asparagus staging, you say?  Nay, I say!  Tis a myth in KSP2!

Back to ye olde drawing board!

I just, cant, stop...

Here's another challenge from @Meta Jonez in the challenges forum. The smaller challenges are great for those who are bug averse or can't run ships with 100+ parts.

Anywho, fastest under the Bridge- 330 m/s submission

And a snap of a "close call" on my 4th pass (first pass in video)

Supafast-Closecall.png

Edited by Socraticat
First not second

Took a journey to the west. Driving Kerbin can be a real chore what with the terrain bugs (you can get a sense of how many times this thing's been launched into the air) but man is it pretty...

Spoiler

149YKZ4.jpg

EFuZv5C.jpg

djDl4Yy.jpg

POrrJse.jpg

4 hours ago, Periple said:

I found a bug for infinite fuel! I just transferred methane and oxidizer between tanks. It got added to one tank but not fully subtracted from the other. After doing this a few times I had full tanks :joy:

You must be making this up - none of my fuel tanks have any fuel ever! 

(Of course, I have landing legs attached - so...) 

Someone commented that my Biplane Shuttle design was comical. Maybe. I think they're super for weight balance in zero gravity and reducing horizontal footprint.

Then I thought to myself. Comical would be as big as they could be made... and realized nothing was stopping me from trying.

I present the "Oversized Biplane Experiment"

Edited by Socraticat
Phrasing?

Downloaded patch, build small mun craft, launch button in VAB did ...nothing. 

Back to main menu and reload, then had, by far, the smoothest and most fun experience in KSP2 since launch.

Still some lumpies and bumpies, but imo it's already so so much better.