What did you do in KSP2 today?

Dman979

Lembas Kerman is thinking about stealing Lembree's seat in the Stowable SSTO prototype... No honor amongst test pilots?

u3gGhlqh.png

In related news, today I learned that if you EVA the pilot on the runway and revert to VAB without getting them back into the cockpit, the next kerbal in line gets assigned the seat in the VAB. I just had a vision of the two test pilots arguing over whose turn it was. :D

As far as the spaceplane is concerned, the engineers added a small docking port on the back aft of the cockpit (belly installation led to a jittery Kraken-adjacent dance when the gear was retracted) and with the latest tweaks to design and ascent profile we made LKO with 650m/s to spare. Lembree vehemently denies this is due to Lembas being at the control during that test flight.

On 2/24/2023 at 11:26 AM, Datau03 said:

I built a rocket out of a pod, a booster and a parachute with wrong staging and launched it
And was amazed by the game, I have an I7 11700k and an RTX 3070ti and am getting 30 to 60 fps on high settings :D

3070?!?! Ti?!?!?! I barely have a 3060! but i do have a AMD Ryzen 5 :D

Tried making a duna rocket, failed :( (it was a cool starship ;)

1 hour ago, Socraticat said:

I made this

*I don't know where else to post it.

I think you post it here

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/77528-post-your-cinematics-here-cinematic-enthusiasts/&_fromLogin=1

EDIT:

you can also place it here

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/forum/143-ksp2-tutorials/

Edited by Little 908

I am doing serious research into remote docking options.  Wish I knew how to make videos, the remote unit was spin stabilized by sepratrons and flew dumb to RDV.

Current Statistics

Maximum relative velocity: 59 m/s

Maximum distance closed: 1.1 km

Survivors:  None

Spoiler

8QkdAtU.jpg

xEM3DQQ.jpg

1FJ3gjy.jpg

bouMh2T.jpg

ZAbUQcI.jpg

Bonus pic of a close flyby

Vhfz8aQ.jpg

I might be a little bit stupid.  I see patch 0.1.2.0 is out, but I only see 0.1.1.0.  I'm guessing there's an "experimental build" I need the code for.  I can't find it.  Am I blind, or is it not available?  Other comments I've seen suggest it is, but I can't seem to locate it.

14 minutes ago, Whackjob said:

I see patch 0.1.2.0 is out, but I only see 0.1.1.0.

Not sure if you're on Steam or not, but I've seen other users suggest backing all the way out of Steam, close it down, and restart- that apparently triggers Steam to pull updates.  If you're not on Steam, not sure- hopefully others will provide a better answer.

Sure is, steam.  On Linux, though I doubt that makes any difference.  Ok, restarting it...  aaand, nope.  I don't see 0.1.2.0?  I completely shut down Steam and restarted it, logged back in.  Let me fight with it a bit...

EDIT:  Nope!  I cannot see the 0.1.2.0 patch.

Edited by Whackjob

Today I checked that the Stowable SSTO can handle a rough field landing after ascent and deorbit burn (so fairly light).

UuZoI2ol.png

Took a few tries to work out the procedure, but trimmed out to glide at 60m/s it came down to a three point landing and a combo of brakes and SAS to keep the nose pointed the right way got us stopped and in one piece.

x2WGOR4l.png

I opted to work on this rather than a launch stack to send this to Laythe because I'm finding the VAB much harder to work with than before patch 2 with multiple assemblies. 

EDIT: I also cleared the Bob level of the Asymmetric SSTO challenge: 

Edited by Syvwlch

On 4/13/2023 at 12:01 PM, Little 908 said:

So very helpful, Thank you!

This is what I did today:

Ok, figured out under betas I needed to select NONE to get to 0.1.2.0.  I can report that I do see a fairly massive FPS boost.  I can build more in the VAB before the world dies.

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

196  Mammoth-II engines, anyone?

6 minutes ago, Whackjob said:

Ok, figured out under betas I needed to select NONE to get to 0.1.2.0.  I can report that I do see a fairly massive FPS boost.  I can build more in the VAB before the world dies.

I believe to be Kerbal worthy, this craft needs 410 Sepratrons to operate properly according to KSC Launch Directives. 

9 minutes ago, Whackjob said:

Your ship, sir, is both amazing and doomed to be eaten by the kraken.

18 minutes ago, Fluke said:

I believe to be Kerbal worthy, this craft needs 410 Sepratrons to operate properly according to KSC Launch Directives. 

Seperatrons?  This isn't stages, this is part of a stage.

Today I decided to start something big. I built my first Kerbal mothership and I made it to launch it to Kerbin orbit. This is a 505 tons monstrosity launched to orbit in one piece, launching stage not counted into this weight.

Now I have my shiny new mothership ready for further missions in 200km orbit. Refueled it has almost 10000 dv for the nitrogen engines for its own travelling. It carries additional methalox and monopropellant for refueling other crafts.

There are docking ports sized small, medium, large and xl. So this offers many different options for adding further modules or more fuel tanks, depending on the mission that I am going to run.

The habitation ring offers everything my Kerbals need, to enjoy the time and relax during their future travels to the stars.

Here are the pictures of the mothership in orbit:

uc?id=1DXcdAmq9aAKBi-4FAgvis9LUIaJywsZE

uc?id=17CLjrrISheGXosecggxU3L5rwz1v37u2

I am now starting to make additional modules and landing crafts in the VAB and afterwards I will send my Kerbals out to explore the stars.

&)

3 hours ago, Gummel said:

Today I decided to start something big. I built my first Kerbal mothership and I made it to launch it to Kerbin orbit. This is a 505 tons monstrosity launched to orbit in one piece, launching stage not counted into this weight.

See, that's pure reason right there, and cost effectiveness.  Just launch it all at once.  Same thing as pruning a whole tree in one shot by cutting it just above the roots.  That's how I do it.

/you might prune the house too

Have not posted to a "What did you do in KSPx today" thread for a long time... time to put that right.

My brave team has headed out into the system, facing the hazards of early access space exploration, namely mission threathening bugs. Mostly of the "huh... I'm sure my trajectory wasn't like that the last time I looked at it, kind. But with grit and determination (plus some reverting to previous saves) they struck out to far flung parts of the system.

First stop was the moon, then Duna, followed by a trip to the Jool system, with flybys of Laythe and Vall, as well as landings on Bop and Pol.

First to Eeloo

More recently was a trip to Eeloo, which is where our tale of today (well... the last couple of days actually) begins.

As always, it's a tale that begins with fire and fury, in this case, it's the launch of the imaginatively names "Eeloo 1st".

PdG3WXO.jpg

This arrived in orbit without a hitch, well... except for poor Bill being stuck up there on his own, the other memeber of the crew Corlo, having inecplicably missed the launch.

Spoiler

J5Q4L7q.jpg

So a 2nd launch was required, this time of the SSTO "Reuso 1", to get this mission on the road.

mHFSFgz.jpg

Once in orbit, Corlo wasted no time in making a rendezvous with Bill in the Eeloo 1st.

Spoiler

xPya0NE.jpg

Ah yes... magnetic boots, so much better for making well times selfies with.

Spoiler

3jyaYcD.jpg

With Corlo safely aboard the Eeloo 1st, it was time for Reuso 1 to re-enter and head for it's landing site (wherever that might end up being).

Spoiler

2ueNGNA.jpg

Ah... a nice flat(ish) plain.

Spoiler

FCP0ep2.jpg

aaaaand... touchdown.

FTTy5LK.jpg

With the full crew aboard, it was time to head to Eeloo.

Well, time to set up the transfer manoeuvre, then... next stop, Eeloo.

2rqEefc.jpg

Once in orbit, it was time to let Corlo loose in the Eeloo 1st's lander.

Spoiler

qoGf0xL.jpg

So where to land, where to land?

Ah, next to that crevasse would make a handy spot.

mUIQFop.jpg

Landing was made, but Corlo decided that as it was on a fairly steep slope, it wasn't a good spot to park, so with fuel supplies dwindling, she headed a little South, closer to the crevasse, looking for a safer spot.

28HS01J.jpg

ok... a little too far South, and down. Corlo had to spend valuable fuel hauling the lander up a few hundred metres to the top of the crevasse again.

Spoiler

UZL3mgD.jpg

And that's it for the descent stage fuel.

With it detached, Corlo needed to make a fairly rapid landing in the ascent stage.

Spoiler

wpT8Wga.jpg

Once down, Corlo stuffed a handful of salted choro nuts in her mouth and headed for the hatch.

On leaving the pod, the lander's descent stage was visible in the distance.

AMwjBMB.jpg

Time for another selfie (these kerbals and their magical floating cameras eh!).

Yrtr3lk.jpg

With the obligatory pictoral documentation of the trip out of the way, it was time to head back to the transfer vehicle.

aGFiMHK.jpg

After a few orbits the pair of explorers met once more.

Bob: "So how was it down there".

Corlo: "Chilly".

AeOfNp7.jpg

Following their passage to the outermost planet of the system, all that was left to do was to wait... then wait... then wait some more, for their departure window.

Most of their remaining was fuel expended exiting Eeloo, but fortunately enough remained for a plane change a little to slow the vehicle down before hitting Kerbin's atmosphere. Although of course, that's not such an issue not that we're back to suicidal re-entry speeds being back on the table (hurrah!).

Spoiler

JSFHaf6.jpg

With the pair on the kerafirma once more, it was time for some kerthly exploring... around the KSC.

Step 1. Make rover and launch it.

Step2. Escape the launch pad.

The later was not so easy to do, given that it's surrounded by safety rail, that too several attempts at getting over (reversing seemed to be the best method), in order to escape the pad.

Really... a safety rail! These are kerbals we're talking about. They live for danger.

With escape made Bob (the rover's sole occupant and lover of 4 wheeled expoloration) headed for the buildings of the KSC.

Well hello there "unnamed kebonaut" (ok... we all know it's Jeb, having greased enough palms with deep fried snacks to make sure it was his mug on that statue).

ZqdYyUx.jpg

Hello there Tracking Station, looking good in the early afternoon sun.

BTW... note to engineering dept. Why is my rover floating?

Spoiler

zLLcvSy.jpg

Round the KSC

With the trip around the central buildings of the KSC completed, it was time to head out to the the further flung parts of the complex.

This is one of the never used, support launch pads. Billions of funds spent constructing them, millions more on keeping them spotlessly clean and fully operational, but never licked by the flames of a rocket.

What a waste!

Spoiler

f6vrG0v.jpg

But at least the pipe trenches make for some entertaining ramp jumping.

Spoiler

6a0pHRH.jpg

Until you get stuck of course.

Spoiler

qrWcLAq.jpg

So, while no-one was looking, Bob took a wander under the great tracked beast known as The Krawler.

Usually it takes piles of paperwork and a big blue badge to get close to one of these things. However, as it's just me and you watching, Bob decided it was worth the possible stern talking to from the Work and Safety dept. for this transgression, to get a good look.

Spoiler

euqduZB.jpg

With much time spent in the rover and on some on foot, Bob wanted to end his trip around the KSC by scaling the launch pad tower. I mean, look at all those inviting steps, just waiting to be climbed.

Here we go... a long vertical hike and grand views await.

What... this thing's a hologram! Bob took another couple of attempts at climbing on the first step, only for his boot to fall through it.

Hmmm.... billions of funds spent eh! I wander if there's a ground services engineer sunning themselves on a beach right now, looking at their fleet of sports rovers.

Ah well, I wonder what holograms taste like.

Hmmm... digital.

97S5oTT.jpg

Edited by purpleivan

Today I landed an Asymmetric SSTO on the Mun! For reasons!

Beside having fun, I'm learning a lot about SSTOs with this challenge, mostly about things that just happen automatically with symmetric designs but no longer do when you throw that out the window. Not sure that will ever come in handy but I'm better a debugging a design than I was before I started doing this for sure.

Today's big lesson was that when you have asymmetric placement of control surfaces, it's not enough to size them such that the CoL is placed where you want it... you also need to size them such that when they deflect they produce a balanced control force. My first version of this SSTO would roll right during pitch up maneuvers, e.g. on takeoff, until I made the right side canard larger, which required tweaking all three wings to get the CoL back where it needed to be. You don't need to get it perfect, but within what the cockpit's torque can handle.

Well today I made a craft as well. 

Nothing as fancy as Assymetric, but I thought to myselft "hey, why not using is as a rocket and land it on top of the VAB". Because we can. So here it goes:

uJbBsgs.jpg

IxuN0bV.jpg

Then, I wanted to land it on top of the big tracking station's antenna, but it was a bit more than I could chew...