What did you do in KSP2 today?

Dman979

Worked on a modular space station system for Laythe orbit, including:

• A hab module with three medium and two small docking ports which also doubles as a Jool-class comms relay
  • An orbital unmanned space tug (green, for monoprop only)
  • Various 35 to 50 ton tanks (yellow is hydrogen, agency colors for methalox, and orange/white for methane)
  • A SWERV-based interplanetary ship

PkKtabPh.png

EDIT: I think I can do it in three launches and three trips to Laythe by the interplanetary ship, which I've beefed up the fuel capacity of.

acBxKQfh.png

I've combined the methalox and methane storage into a single tank, which should be enough to refuel the small SSTO a dozen times, so plenty of exploration of Laythe before we need to do another milk run.

Edited by Syvwlch
Added the launch stacks

Happpy Monday!

I'm having fun in the Jool system lately. Laythe is probably my favorite celestial body in the game- It has Jool as a backdrop and you can fly jets on it, and they have superpowers! Like when Superman goes from Krypton to Earth!

Anyway, I had a "OneOscar" Photoshoot in my newly developed "OneOscar" SG5WM dubbed "Kryptonite" on Laythe's northern cap with Jool in the background. I need to make a video of this, it's a neat craft. The SSTO that "Kryptonite" rides on is called "fLex", based on it's versatility and its connection to its partner "OneOscar" craft. Both of these craft are carried to the Joolian system on the "BopMobile", named for a challenge I am working to complete.

Thanks for reading! Enjoy some cool screenshots!

Laythe-Oscar10.png

Spoiler

Laythe-Oscar12.png
Laythe-Oscar2.png
Laythe-Oscar3.png

Come join the "OneOscar" Fan Club! We can do spins!

Well, you win some, you lose some.

Night launch went off without a hitch.,, even tho our engineers forgot to stow the deployable antenna before rolling the launch stack out. The pilot barely complained about the rocket's tendency to pull south on ascent. :D

qG7GxyGh.png

Sticking with the night theme, a 3+ minute burn in the dark got us our Jool encounter.

hLfXohyh.png

A small mid-course correction burn got us all lined up for a beautiful low-inclination capture at Laythe...

CgZ8V1Ih.png

... but once we entered Jool's sphere of influence, our solar panels refused to work.

LtFGBQSh.png

Rolling back the mission telemetry to a prior save shows we had decent power generation outside Jool's reach:

h3Zqu0Vh.png

So this mission plan is going on the back burner for now. I could redesign with other power sources, but that would put a time limit on the service life I'm not willing to put up with.

I guess I will pivot to a single launch with RTGs to get the Stowable SSTO to Laythe, for now? Or perhaps work on the Val level of the Asymmetric SSTO challenge?

We'll see! :D

• Community Manager
On 4/14/2023 at 8:26 PM, Whackjob said:

Ok, figured out under betas I needed to select NONE to get to 0.1.2.0.  I can report that I do see a fairly massive FPS boost.  I can build more in the VAB before the world dies.

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

196  Mammoth-II engines, anyone?

sir

I am continuing trying to launch a probe into orbit using nothing but Separatrons.  Werner Von Kerman has told me that the idea is sound, and preliminary testing has shown that you can in fact get to about 30km using light parts and a boatload of seps.  Unfortunately, at some point, the kraken rears its ugly head and causes the ship to spin into oblivion simply due to not having enough struts (which, if you have on your ship, causes ridiculous drag and adds unnecessary weight to the craft).

But testing continues!  The Las Kerbas Space Agency will figure a way out of this (even if that means we have to wait for a patch).

11 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

I am continuing trying to launch a probe into orbit using nothing but Separatrons.  Werner Von Kerman has told me that the idea is sound, and preliminary testing has shown that you can in fact get to about 30km using light parts and a boatload of seps.  Unfortunately, at some point, the kraken rears its ugly head and causes the ship to spin into oblivion simply due to not having enough struts (which, if you have on your ship, causes ridiculous drag and adds unnecessary weight to the craft).

But testing continues!  The Las Kerbas Space Agency will figure a way out of this (even if that means we have to wait for a patch).

I was able to do it in KSP 1, so looking forward to seeing it in KSP2.  We did a challenge. In my case, I launched from the Dessert Airfield, which had a slightly higher elevation. I was unable to do it from the KSC, though others managed it.:

Definitely a recommended experience. 10/10 will do again.

And the Tutorial that became a short because I became distracted while cruising around Bop.

Edited by Socraticat
Fixing some YouTube upload errors.

Spent 5 hours fighting against the wiggly rockets, timewarp, and manuevar node, when I finally landed the rover on Duna it fell through the ground after spinning around without friction for 10 mins of save scumming.

I'm putting the game down. Maybe I'll come back and try it next year.

Edited by K33N

Today... well, after a week or so of running with the v0.1.2.0 patch I think I'm going to put the game down for a while and see what it's like after the next patch, as I'm just hitting to many serious bugs to continue playing.

It's a shame as (in spite of dealing with various minor issues) I've been able to venture out to multiple planets and tick them off my list of planets (re)visited, but for the last couple of days I've been fighting an unending series of major issues. These include multiple parts falling off the vehicle when it appears on the the pad, uncontrollable rolling of a large vehicle after launch, even when rigged up with a ridiculous amount of control surface area at the rear end, as well as multiple lock up's of the game (5 today).

I also found that the game suddenly (from 3-4 days after installing v.0.1.20) no longer likes multi monitor setups, with the game appearing on one screen and my mouse pointer on the other, requing a semi blind trip ro the graphics settings menu to fix, each time I load.

Hopefully over the next couple of patches KSP2 get bashed into a more stable shape, but until then I think I'm done, which is unfortunate as I had been thinking about starting a couple of new story series to put up in the fan art section, but I think I'll leave that until it's going to be less of a chore to make the imagery for them.

I know that many are having a less problematic game experiences, and congrats to them, but it looks like I'm not as lucky.

Anyway... it's not been all bad, as my team has had some nice travels since the new patch.

Trip to Dres

7uR8Ern.jpg

nKSthaK.jpg

DmEaYAN.jpg

Trip to Eeloo

RFtuXbV.jpg

9NLgl6h.jpg

zLpmh5P.jpg

Since Patch 2, I've been working on an interplanetary rover mission to see how well I could deliver a rover to other planets and drive around on them. Ran into many bugs over the course of it, so to deal with that I've had to make many saves. I put it away for a while, but today I figured that with so many bugs encountered, these saves might be a goldmine for bug reports that are hard to get to with 100% reproducability in situations that the team might not see often. 4 different bugs reported!

Bonus pics: Anomaly at the south pole of Dres. Drive in at your own risk...

Spoiler

Dres-south-pole-1.jpgDres-south-pole-2.jpg

Edited by Lyneira

Made  a SSTO with vertical landing capability. The CG not move significantly while consuming fuel.

WUKCTK7.jpg

The vertical landing engine are placed below the CG, so the aircraft is very stable, even with SAS turned off

giphy.gif

Landing test after reentry, it uses about 100 delta-v to perform vertical landing

giphy.gif

Today I decided to start a new campaign and attempt to land on every celestial body, one by one.  Starting with the Mun.  Of course, in the most Kerbal of fashion, I named the ship Minmus-Ho I.  Poor little Kerbals don't even know where they are headed.

Spoiler

xhnkbac.png
DfHMkCu.png

That shot above the surface of the Mun is far better than the one on the surface.  From space it looked so cool, all pitted and such.  On the surface...blech.  How does it look so awesome one way, but so bland another?

Anyhow, Mun conquered.  Bill, Billy-Bobman, and Riblorf all made it there and back safely.  Minmus is next!  Even if we have to name the ship Mun-Ho!

And I'm done.  I give up.  I am officially putting KSP2 on the shelf until the devs can fix the most basic of things.

Today I attempted to go to and land on Minmus.  I have both reaction wheels and RCS thrusters on my lander, along with a poodle engine that has gimbal.  So I get into orbit and then time-warp until I'm at about 20km above the surface.  I decouple from the transfer stage - with RCS turned on and the craft already set on SAS to point to retrograde - and watch the craft spin uncontrollably.  Slow at first, but then faster and faster until it literally looks like a red blob on my screen.  I revert to an earlier save, time-warp until I'm closer to the surface before decoupling, and watch the same thing happen.  For TWO FREAKING HOURS this morning I sat and tried everything I could think of to have this not happen.  And every single time I decoupled, no matter where, at what speed, what trajectory, what direction I was pointing, uncontrollable spin.  I need to point out here that this is the same craft I used to land on the Mun yesterday.  SAME FREAKING CRAFT.  No spin on the Mun, but I'll be damned if the lander didn't just decide to flip out every time near Minmus.

This is not expected behavior.  As far as I'm concerned, this is a major bug and now makes the game unplayable until fixed.  I refuse - REFUSE - to believe that it's something I did.  How is it that I can take this craft and land on Mun but not on Minmus?  How is it that I can get to, land on, and return from Duna but not Minmus?  No, my friends, I am not doing something wrong.  The code in the game is causing this ridiculously uncontrollable spin that should not be there.

I'm done.  I am putting this down until the next patch comes out.  I refuse to sit here for hours and hours trying to figure out what is happening when the answer is as simple as "the devs need to fix this".

5 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

So I get into orbit and then time-warp until I'm at about 20km above the surface.  I decouple from the transfer stage - with RCS turned on and the craft already set on SAS to point to retrograde - and watch the craft spin uncontrollably.

This happens to me almost every single time. Never did it in .1 both subsequent patches and it does this or does this and blows landing legs off. I'm done for now too. 

This game gets more and more frustrating with each passing day.

After being irritated and ready to pitch my entire machine yesterday, I thought I'd give landing on Minmus one more try today.  I figured that there was something I did wrong, so I fired up my save, decoupled the transfer stage...and landed WITH EASE.  What the frak happened to the uncontrollable spin I encountered yesterday?  Where was the bug?  Why did the game decide to be nice to me today?  I don't know, but I was able to land.

Unfortunately, the return trip was where the bugs decided to show up.  I got off Minmus, plotted a course for home, left the SOI...and promptly ended up in a Kerbolar orbit.  What?  How did that happen?  I reverted to the save I made on the surface of Minmus, fired up the engines, hit M to get the map view...and watched the machine bring up the mods list.  What is going on?  Anyhow, I plot the course home and, after the burn, slowly time warp to leaving Minmus' SOI.  And after leaving the SOI, I was in fact inside Kerbin's SOI...for all of 30 seconds.  I had 30 seconds to plot, time warp to, and execute a correction burn to capture Kerbin.  Seems like the trajectory bug is happening here too.

I managed to get that done, get into a nice, stable orbit, and then start my descent.  Only to watch the craft spin uncontrollably as it entered Kerbin's atmosphere.  For another 90 minutes today, I saved/reverted/pulled my hair out as this bug kept haunting me.  Finally I walked away from my machine, got a drink of water, and came back to attempt another landing.  Oh good, this time we are pointing retrograde all the way down.  Fire the parachutes...and they don't deploy.  At 145 m/s speed some 300 meters above the ground the game shows me that it is unsafe to deploy.  What?  Why?  Sigh.  Revert to last save and try again.  Another 30 minutes of watching the parachutes fail every single time.  Finally the stars aligned and God intervened and said "You may now pass".

I am so frustrated with this game right now.  There is no telling what bug may rear its ugly head, nor when it will happen.  This is maddening, and I cannot believe the devs put this out there.

Spoiler

pneHXBe.png
wQOMM04.png
cT7hNo2.png
ACrHCrP.png
I5DOLx7.png

I'd like to state up front that the only bug I was experiencing prior to 0.1.2.0 was the trajectory bug.  This new patch has introduced several new bugs for me.  I'm ready to ask for a refund even though I know I can't get one 2 months out.