What did you do in KSP2 today?

Dman979

7 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

You ever see a screenshot from KSP (1 or 2) and then try using your mouse to pan around in said image?  Yeah, me either.

It ever take more than one failed attempt for you to realize you couldn't actually pan the image? It's so embarrassing every time my friend does it...

Edited by GalileOh-No

Introducing the New and Improved "OneOscar" Fan Club Member Coin!

One-Oscar-EAOfficial.png

Pictured Above: The Newest Iteration of Club Member Coin- Representing the sentiment that Early Access really is for those brave enough to venture into KSP2 while the enemy is scaled to unreasonable difficulty.  Featuring the flagship "OneOscar" FG reaching beyond Kerbin despite the challenges faced... (Or maybe it represents despondance, the crew report just says, "We've got to get outta here! The Kraken is coming!" which has officially been interpreted by Administration to be read as excitement rather than fear)

Join the Club and this Sweet Flair can be yours too!

CHOO CHOO!!!

L8R H8RS!

On 5/11/2023 at 10:01 AM, Socraticat said:

There was a poll recently asking about Morale. I voted positively and found learned that I'm the only one that voted "Love it, can't wait to play more." Poll is closed now. Feeling kinda lonely on the hype train lately...

Anyway...

Here's another launch:

I voted optimistically in that poll too.  Maybe it’s because I’m an old fart, but I had been braced for high hardware requirements since announcement, lowered my expectations when EA was announced, further lowered them when we saw the ESA event footage, and tend not to put a heck of a lot of faith in pre-release hype anyhow.  

More importantly, having put north of 5,000 hours into KSP since 2013, I saw the game develop from something far smaller, jankier, buggier and uglier than KSP2 EA into the awesomeness of 1.12.5.  Even the delta between 1.0 and 1.12.5 was impressive.   This video shows it well:

https://youtu.be/mp4IIcM66MU

So although I was a little disappointed in the state of the EA, I’m optimistic that IG, working with a team an order or two of magnitude larger, a clear plan, and with much more funding and support can take KSP2 EA much farther than Squad took KSP.

Edited by Wheehaw Kerman

I tried some fooling around on Minimus. It was a disaster. Ready for more bug reporting, I guess. Trying to fly through the garage was much more fun, but I still think I can do better.

Edited by Socraticat
Edited a Royal "We"

I can't wait to share the video I captured :sticktongue:

I had SO MUCH FUN in this game today!

Here's a cool screenshot while I spend time in my editor...

ksfUdKe.png

Edited by Socraticat
I'd rather share the things I do in game in this thread

Some off topic material has been removed.    

This is not a topical discussion thread.   This is not “What I didn’t do in KSP2 today.”   This is a thread for saying what you did do in game.  

Please keep your vitriol out of this thread.   We have plenty of other polluted threads to spew into.     Go pick one of those.  

This week I've been obsessed with getting rovers working. This is the second attempt at my "Garage Tops" challenge, nearly a full minute faster than my first attempt! (which was technically my 4th, but that's on the editing floor.

The craft file is here for anyone that wants in on this. https://pastebin.com/J3PADEsM

Original vid here:

Spoiler

I had been inspired by @GalileOh-No to load up rovers again and it just spiraled this week...

I want to also thank @regex for inspiring me to try to go farther than anticipated. It may not have been your intention, but I remembered your efforts from a while ago and decided to give rovering off-site a try.

It was a super awful bugged journey. I definitely recommend the garage. 4 minutes of driving without flipping, bouncing, jumping, or getting sucked under...

It does make me excited for some of these ground contact issues to be fixed. This was a LOT of fun.

I made my first KSP2 spaceplane, which I hope will eventually become the Laythe lander in a Jool5 ship, a Mk2 cockpit with 4 RAPIERs and 2 Nervs:

QSAA9TM.jpg

The RAPIER engine seems to perform pretty much the same in KSP2 as it did in KSP1:

bb5rpGW.jpg

But I could still only reach orbit with 1200-1300 m/s dV left, even on a very good run, because the extreme bulkiness of the hydrogen tanks vs. the old LF tanks made it very hard to ship enough fuel for the Nervs:

gE5KcDp.jpg

I actually had to cheat a little to do even this well, by clipping 4 additional hydrogen tanks  in to a long+short cargo bay combo that only had enough volume to hold the equivalent of 3.  So unless you want to cheat harder by sweeping even more H2 tanks under the rug  clipping them into cargo bays, it seems that the days of single-stage to Laythe and back space planes in the Mk1 1 and 2 formats are gone! I saw that they made up for the obnoxious bulkiness of the hydrogen fuel by upping the ISP of the SWERVE to 1450, but if they're leaving it at 900 for the Nerv, I think they ought to rename it the Nerf. I haven't tried Mk3 yet. Maybe the better volume--to-surface-area ratio in that format will make it less of a problem, or at least maybe that format will be big enough to support the higher ISP engine. For now I guess I'll just have to refuel this plane on orbit so it can make the trip, that is if I can land it!

Edited by herbal space program

After having been so inspired by a few community members to do Rovers last week, I decided to give back to the community with footage from this week's really great "Build a Space-Station" Challenge. I had a great rendevous capture, and a so-so orbital assembly experience. They were good enough that I took time to make two tutorials- One for "Rendevous" and one for "Orbital Assembly".

I have been watching a few of you all working on these orbital fortresses; It's about time I tried my own- the "OneOscar" Space Program is in need of a proper traveling fortress. Now that I've built a truss I'm afraid I'll have to replace it. I can't believe I didn't put Sr. Docking Ports in the middle of the truss to shorten the entire station. Just silly... Learn something new everyday...

Speaking of learning, I hope these two videos give people some tools to succeed in KSP2. I'm no rocket scientist, but I do consider myself as a lifelong student. The tutorials I make are usually just things I've learned through the years of playing KSP. Some things are tricks in-game that work for me, a few of them might not work for everyone.

I hope you enjoy them,  and if you don't, I hope you leave feedback so I can make better media for the community.

FLY SAFE!

Both of these Videos can be found in the KSP2 Tutorial Section if you want to lead anyone to them.

Today I landed on Eve for the first time in KSP2.

My build initially had 15k dV, which was more than enough to get to the purple jewel in the heavens. I initially tried for a mothership kind of design with using hydrogen in my upper stage, but it didn't pan out as well as I hoped it would. Hopefully I'll come up with a better design in the future, but it managed to work. Eve is astonishingly beautiful from every angle.

Orbiting Eve at around 120,000 m (not the most clear pic of my upper stage):

Spoiler

image.png

Sacrificed pod to Eve, parachutes are deployed a little high just to be safe:

Spoiler

image.png?width=1255&height=671

Splashdown!

Spoiler

image.png?width=1427&height=671

Bob swam a whole kilometer for this view:

Spoiler

image.png?width=1270&height=671

The last few days have allowed me to squeeze in a bit of KSP2 time so I worked on the weekly challenge and built and moved a space station.

Here's the first module, containing some fuel, some docking ports, some antennae, and a cupola for taking in the views.

flSBbEu.png

And here is the second module being docked to the first one.

oPsR0K1.png

9sPU2Pv.png

And here is the launch of the interplanetary tug.

6V68PSP.png

And here is the station in Duna orbit.

NiSwnzY.png

Now all it needs is a lander.  And maybe some kerbals.  :)

Happy landings!

I started an Elcano. I was live.

I'm dialing in my live settings. Craft is dialed in best I can figure for Early Access. This thing is a go!

I'll continue with part 3 tomorrow. The trip so far is in my 'live' archive.

Edited by Socraticat
No longer live

I'm looking up tutorials for building bigger ships, and space stations. The OAB is something I'm really looking forward to. There's no reason I can't get some practice in building things whole, instead of trying to figure out how to launch them in segments.

Yet again, some off topic material has been removed.   

This thread is for what you did in the game.    It is not for what happened around the game or elsewhere in your life.     Please keep to the topic.    We have a number of threads for the discussion of everything else. 

I went on an Elcano Yesterday- the start of one. I'm currently condensing the footage into something more manageable since I've recently been recording and setting up for HD. I really need to install that new SSD.

Here's the progress so far:

i5Cz5mx.png

The craft is called "GarageMonster" It is the "OneOscar" Program's latest Publicity stunt to show it's not a "one-trick pony", just a One-Oscar B fuel tank pony.

k5PYvp3.png

The Starting Point- The goal is to follow lowlands and flats as much as possible.

KgCWOqR.png

The vehicle has some pilot assist countermeasures for Kraken attacks like this one. The ground likes to take the vessel sharply off-course (see my first bug report vid), but I've developed some SOP's for this vessel in preparation for this mission. The research began at the garage...

bQpAESe.png

Following the flats is easy enough. Next up is some highlands? There's definitely challenges ahead.

e3AQTAU.png

This is the point I'll start from within an hour or two. I think I can get across these hills. Yesterday was promising.

Follow me here to watch when I broadcast

Edited by Socraticat