[Request] Please don't bury the KSP1 subforums

Nazalassa

The KSP1 subforums are like buried under a ton of stuff, and seem like they are almost unused.  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the KSP1 subforums be buried?

• No (I want them to come back before community and international)
    • Yes (I want them to stay where they are)

7 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

I don't see any particular reason for the KSP 1 forums to be anywhere else. They're still accessible, is that not satisfaction enough?

If it were satisfactory, would this thread exist?

2 hours ago, Dakota said:

As for the ordering of the forums, I'll look over all of it on Monday and see if I can come up with a solution that pleasures both active players of KSP1 and KSP2.

KSP2 is the new thing, we get it.. Just don't treat us as we were already dead, as it was done with Kerbal EDU.

Edited by Lisias
The Grammars strikes back!

15 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Folks, we have two games. One has to go at the top and the other at the bottom. And right now there is going to be more interest for the new one, so it's a the top.

No. It's true that one game has to be above the other, but not that one game must be at the very top and the other at the very bottom. And, in fact, there's no reason for completely separating the games. An organization like that is possible:

General
KSP2
KSP
Community
KSP2 Gameplay and Technical Support
KSP Gameplay and Technical Support
KSP2 Mods
KSP Mods
International
KerbalEDU

And this way, both KSP2 and KSP players will be happy. Please keep in mind that KSP is not a dead game.

14 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

I don't see any particular reason for the KSP 1 forums to be anywhere else. They're still accessible, is that not satisfaction enough?

I do think that the KSP1 subforum should, perhaps, be lower than KSP2's subforum. However, it shouldn't be this low, to the point of being below the community subforums. They're still quite active and contain the vast majority of posts in this entire website. I think they should be at least above the community subforums.

7 hours ago, Nazalassa said:

General
KSP2
KSP
Community
KSP2 Mods
KSP Mods
International
KerbalEDU

I think this kind of arrangement would cause more harm than good. They should be arranged by game rather than by topic, because that make it much easier to accidentally post in the wrong subforum.

5 minutes ago, DunaManiac said:
14 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

I do think that the KSP1 subforum should, perhaps, be lower than KSP2's subforum. However, it shouldn't be this low, to the point of being below the community subforums. They're still quite active and contain the vast majority of posts in this entire website. I think they should be at least above the community subforums.

And if they're below the community subs, I don't see how that makes them any more difficult to access.

6 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

And if they're below the community subs, I don't see how that makes them any more difficult to access.

Most of us don't want to have to scroll all the way down, and it makes them seem like they're "dead", even if they're not.

48 minutes ago, Nazalassa said:

Most of us don't want to have to scroll all the way down, and it makes them seem like they're "dead", even if they're not.

Problem: I think that there are people that, indeed, prefers to have it buried - dead or alive.

9 hours ago, Nazalassa said:

No. It's true that one game has to be above the other, but not that one game must be at the very top and the other at the very bottom. And, in fact, there's no reason for completely separating the games. An organization like that is possible:

General
KSP2
KSP
Community
KSP2 Mods
KSP Mods
International
KerbalEDU

And this way, both KSP2 and KSP players will be happy. Please keep in mind that KSP is not a dead game.

Yeah, I think this might be a bit messy. Maybe instead, the overlapping topics relevant to both games can be grouped, such as

General Discussion

• KSP1
  • KSP2

Gameplay and Tech Support

• KSP1
  • KSP2

etc etc.

That does lend itself into branches getting even more nested, though. Hmm!

Hi Dakota, thank you for doing that, it certainly is a lot easier to navigate and is more visible. The only other thing I could suggest, is to potentially make it appear similar to how it used to be, is to create another main forum category, "Kerbal Space Program 1 Mods" above the "Community" category, which would contain the sub-forums, "KSP1 Mods Discussions," "KSP1 Mod Releases" and "KSP1 Mod Development."

You currently have about 1/3 of all the forum posts that have ever existed on the forum (since the great accident) squirreled away under one link.

tR3HEHC.png

It would be nice to have them separated out again, as they previously were, so you can track the latest post status for each respective sub-forum.

RNklkZu.png

EDIT: So, just for clarity, the layout I am suggesting would be as follows:

Kerbal Space Program 2 Mods
  - KSP2 Mod Discussions
  - KSP2 Mod Releases
  - KSP2 Mod Development
Kerbal Space Program 1
  - KSP1 The Daily Kerbal
  - KSP1 Discussion
  - KSP1 Suggestions & Development Discussion
  - KSP1 Challenges & Mission ideas
  - KSP1 The Spacecraft Exchange
  - KSP1 Mission Reports
  - KSP1 Gameplay and Technical Support
    -- KSP1 Gameplay Questions and Tutorials
    -- KSP1 Technical Support (PC, unmodded installs)
    -- KSP1 Technical Support (PC, modded installs)
    -- KSP1 Technical Support (Console)
  - KSP1 Expansions
    -- Breaking Ground Expansion
    -- Making History Expansion
Kerbal Space Program 1 Mods
  - KSP1 Mod Discussions
  - KSP1 Mod Releases
    -- KSP1 Tools and Applications
  - KSP1 Mod Development
    -- KSP1 Modelling and Texturing Discussion
    -- KSP1 C# Plugin Development Help and Support
    -- KSP1 General Mod Development Help and Support
Community
  - Science & Spaceflight
  - Kerbal Network
  - The Lounge
    -- Forum Games!
  -    KSP Fan Works

I hope that makes sense.

No dash = Main forum category

Single dash (-) = Sub-forum

Double dash (--) = Sub-sub-forum

Edited by Poodmund

3 hours ago, Dakota said:

Raised KSP1 above Community/International as suggested. Going to look to see if there's a better way to ensure KSP1 still gets visibility on the site - but hopefully this change addresses your concerns for now.

Yes! Thank you so so so much Dakota!

20 hours ago, Dakota said:

Raised KSP1 above Community/International as suggested. Going to look to see if there's a better way to ensure KSP1 still gets visibility on the site - but hopefully this change addresses your concerns for now.

Thanks

On 3/14/2023 at 4:59 PM, Bej Kerman said:

Surely this hasn't just made the community subforums a bit harder to find?

This is a Kerbal Space Program forum. Not a spaceflight or what I had for dinner yesterday forum.

On 3/15/2023 at 5:39 PM, Poodmund said:
On 3/14/2023 at 4:59 PM, Bej Kerman said:

Surely this hasn't just made the community subforums a bit harder to find?

This is a Kerbal Space Program forum. Not a spaceflight or what I had for dinner yesterday forum.

Then again, it's where we are having this discussion.

4 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Then again, it's where we are having this discussion.

Yes, because it’s the network sub forum.   The Community subs were intentionally placed after the two games, as they are the priority of the forums.    I’m not sure adding an extra spin of the mouse wheel made them that much harder to find.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.