Can I get the configuration files for the NERV and the RTG?

AtomicTech

3 hours ago, Lisias said:

It wasn't told to us that they were expecting modders to jump in on day 1?

How?

The coders started decompiling the game and lookng at the backend and assets immediately after downloading it, which wasn't hard to do, plenty of tools available for that. Lots of details have been revealed, enough to have an ad-hoc modloader made. Basically, .dlls have to use and assembly loader, while part assets are in assetbundles and are combined with the .cfgs, which are in JSON.

There is also at least the framework for an in-game modloader present. It appears that it will use a GameData folder.

Edited by AlphaMensae

3 hours ago, AlphaMensae said:

The coders started decompiling the game and lookng at the backend and assets immediately after downloading it,

So, no public API and we are back to hacking the game as we did in KSP1.

Not a problem, but I remember Nate talking about a public API and dismissing Manley's concerning about decompilations et all.

Well, not exactly "Not a Problem"… From the Add-on Posting Rules:

9. Legal boundaries

You may not decompile, modify or distribute any of the .dll files or other files KSP comes with beyond content of the GameData folder. Follow the EULA. For assemblies, you may only use exposed public or protected members of classes, and you may not examine the code within any member.

So… Not so modding friendly after all. The very initial efforts for modding KSP2 is in violation of the Forum rules for modding...

Edited by Lisias
Damnit. :P

2 hours ago, Lisias said:

So, no public API and we are back to hacking the game as we did in KSP1.

Not a problem, but I remember Nate talking about a public API and dismissing Manley's concerning about decompilations et all.

No public API yet. Nate, or someone from Intercept, said that it will come "After launch of EA" and will only be support for part mods first. No word on plugin support. 

1 minute ago, GoldForest said:

No public API yet. Nate, or someone from Intercept, said that it will come "After launch of EA" and will only be support for part mods first. No word on plugin support. 

Good to know, and it's fine to me.

But I would prefer that the P/R guys didn't started this fire by enticing us with this "day one" buzzword because, hell, the only way to do that right now is by violating the forum rules!!!

Modding: We expect modders to dig into KSP2 on day one. We recognize that the modding community has played a big role in the longevity of KSP, and we continue to be impressed by the mods that are released

Source.

Just now, Lisias said:

Good to know, and it's fine to me.

But I would prefer that the P/R guys didn't started this fire by enticing us with this "day one" buzzword because, hell, the only way to do that right now is by violating the forum rules!!!

Source.

Yeah, it's a little annoying. Wish they still used gamedata instead of... JSON asset bundle files? I can't even find where they're located. 

3 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Yeah, it's a little annoying. Wish they still used gamedata instead of... JSON asset bundle files? I can't even find where they're located. 

All the stock assets are in the sharedassets.assets files under the KSP2_x64_Data folder. Can't look at them without a Unity asset viewer.

7 hours ago, AlphaMensae said:

All the stock assets are in the sharedassets.assets files under the KSP2_x64_Data folder. Can't look at them without a Unity asset viewer.

What doesn't changes the fact that all you need to check KSP1's assets is Windows Explorer and Notepad. Hard to say KSP2 made things easier for the beginners.

If you need to be a professional on the field to mod KSP2, the franchise lost contact with its fanbase by a mile.

On 2/24/2023 at 10:22 AM, AtomicTech said:

Can someone upload the files here?

I'l love to start modding today!

We gotta wait for something equivalent to (but not cursed like) PartTools to arrive.

I'm curious to what you have planned. (I see your placeholder thing up on SpaceDock)

6 hours ago, Lisias said:

What doesn't changes the fact that all you need to check KSP1's assets is Windows Explorer and Notepad. Hard to say KSP2 made things easier for the beginners.

If you need to be a professional on the field to mod KSP2, the franchise lost contact with its fanbase by a mile.

I'm cautiously optimistic that the equivalent of PartTools will contain the likes of a drag & drop/ WYSIWYG editor that takes most of the manual labor out of generating a config and hopefully also has the secondary role of a PDF-alike viewer so casuals can make sense of a JSON file. I'm sure it's well within Intercept's abilities to do this.

After the efforts Intercept has put in to ensure that tutorials and hand-holding overall for casual players are spot-on, I think some faith in the existence of modding tools and their documentation is well deserved. That said, I'm not terribly eager to mod a game that's currently very broken and has most of its features turned off.

7 hours ago, Lisias said:

There is going to be an in-game mod manager, so that will do all the loading. For parts, I'm thinking you'd package all your assets from Unity and the JSON .cfg into a bundle, and the mod manager will take it from there.

On 2/26/2023 at 6:32 AM, AlphaMensae said:

There is going to be an in-game mod manager, so that will do all the loading. For parts, I'm thinking you'd package all your assets from Unity and the JSON .cfg into a bundle, and the mod manager will take it from there.

True, but no more quick Notepad tweaks is what they meant

On 2/25/2023 at 10:32 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

I'm curious to what you have planned. (I see your placeholder thing up on SpaceDock)

It may or may not be a sequel to AtomicTech Inc. Junkyards ;)

But I'm still waiting for someone to make something like Module Manager that makes it really easy for someone, like me, who isn't some sort of game dev professional to start modding.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.