KSP 2 and Proton

Thought I'd create a specific place for my fellow Linux users to share their issues with proton and what/if they did any tweaking to get it running.

To my surprise, it didn't just run out of the box.  I appear to have gotten it working after some small tweaks.

If you're running the game in Steam's Proton, feel free to share your system specs, proton version, and any tweaks you might have had to do?

Ryzen 7 5800X
64 GB DDR4-3600
AMD RX6700XT
Linux Mint 20.3 MATE

Proton Experimental
Launch Options: PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 %command%

Experimental would get the launcher to.. launch, but when I clicked play I got an error saying it couldn't initialize graphics.  The WINED3D option seems to have fixed that.  I'll report back if I have to make any more adjustments.

Downloaded the game and installed under openSUSE Tumbleweed. Had to set the game to force it to use Proton Experimental, which allowed the game to load into Take 2's entirely unnecessarily launcher. Loaded to main menu successfully, was some stuttering when loading the engine, but I'm in the space center and it seems stable!

Oh right.

Specs:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
32GB DDR4-3600
AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
openSUSE Tumbleweed 20230131, KDE Plasma (Wayland)

Proton Experimental
No launch options needed.

Game stuttered when initializing the simulation but appears to be stable in terms of not crashing and no obvious bugs. Flight simulation ran stably after lowering graphics settings, and while the parachute appears to have generally failed to increase my test rocket's drag I'm willing to tentatively attribute that to user error. I'm impressed.

Unable to launch on steamdeck, but using the same trick as for KSP1 to bypass the Private Division Launcher* and Proton Experimental, it launches. I have yet to test performances.

* Set Launch option as:

eval $( echo "LC_ALL=C PROTON_LOG=1 %command%" | sed "s/PDLauncher\/LauncherPatcher.exe'.*/KSP2_x64.exe'/" )

EDIT: Settings are on high by default, needs to be turned down. No controller support for now

EDIT2: controller actually works, but only during flight. might be same as KSP, menus do not react to joysticks and d-pads. Once the rocket is far away from the spacec center, I have ~12FPS. 1 FPS otherwise

Edited by Nemecle

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
32GB DDR4 3200mhz
NVIDIA GTX 1080
Ubuntu 22.04
Kernel 5.19.0-32-generic

All minimum settings at 900p

Doesn't launch out of the box

Running the KSP2_x64.exe executable with wine works, however significant graphical issues are present with the UI and framerates are locked to around 2-4fps with the exception of tracking station where I got 25 fps.

Running Either the executable or steam launch with ProtonGE-49 works, however framerates are locked to 1-2fps with the exception of tracking station and main menu where I got 30-45 fps

Any tips would help, Thanks.

Edit 1:

The following launch option got my framerate up to about 7fps in the KSC and 16fps in the VAB

PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 %command%

Edit 2:

Using the same launch options with Proton Experimental saw no change in performance

Edited by RedderThanMisty
Updated report

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
64GB DDR4 3600Mhz
NVIDIA RTX 2060
Arch 6.1.12-arch1-1

Didn't run out of the box

Did run when changing to proton experimental, but even at the lowest possible settings and 540p resolution I was at 3 FPS in VAB/Launchpad 10 FPS on orbit not looking at Kerbin, menu and tracking station ran like butter though.

I tried to do:

PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 %command%

but it caused a huge chunk of terrain to spawn on the beginning of the runway and any airplane that started there crashed upon hitting the collision mesh from below. for the rockets it did help with FPS by about 2x...but I should also note that my FPS figures were for small rockets. I tried to do an apollo style regardless of the frames, but it was just as bad as above. And the entire craft disintegrated in Mun orbit when I tried to EVA lol.

Edited by semicortex

I got it to run on the Steam Deck via Proton. Im getting around 10-15 fps. with simple rocket in flight .. (low settings) , which is better than I thought :)

note: it won't work directly from the Steam download, as the Launcher does not work... so I had to bypass

Edited by TheTechnobear

I'm on:

AMD Ryzen 3900X
AMD Radeon 6950XT
64 GiB RAM
Arch Linux
Proton Experimental

The VAB can get up to like ~80fps. I managed 10 or so at launch, up to 40 in the air and sub-10 on the way down.

The UI looks like it's supposed to be pixel-perfect but it's misaligned (apparently this is just a 1440p issue as my Windows-y friend has it too).

I tried to force Vulkan with the command line options but that just gave initialisation errors.

All in all, I'm just happy it booted on day 1. It would be great to get a native build, or at least one with Vulkan enabled so I can try that.

AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
64 GB DDR4-3600
AMD RX 5700
openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma (Xorg)

Proton Experimental
Launch Options: PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 %command%

Version 0.1.0.0.20892

The game is running, but tutorial videos are not working and I've noticed multiple graphical artifacts.

But it's running on linux already so a good start!

I have managed to work around the launcher with the following setup:

Create a run.sh script in your steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program 2 with the following content:

#!/bin/bash

ARGS=()
for i in "$@"; do
    ARGS+=("${i//PDLauncher\/LauncherPatcher.exe/KSP2_x64.exe}")
done

exec "${ARGS[@]}"

Make it executable and change the steam launch options to "/path/to/your/steam/lib/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program 2/run.sh" %command%

The script can, theoretically, be put anywhere as long as it is executable and the steam launch options are adjusted accordingly.

I can confirm that adding this command to the Steam command line "PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 %command%" resolved the crash after launcher play.

Set compatibility to experimental.

Ryzen 5 5600G

Nvidia 2080 TI

32GB DDR4

Mint LMDE5

Game pretty much runs smooth, however, I don't see any of the videos played in the training missions. I hear the audio, but I do not see any video. I will update as I play more. So far seems good. no jitters, stutters or other real "Unable to play" Problems.

Discovered that Alt-Tab out of the Game prevents you from being able to get back in to the same window with out shutting down and restarting.

Edited by I Smell Smoke

Fedora 37: (HIGH SETTINGS!!)

Phenom 1100t

16gb 1600

10603gb

PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 %command% with proton experimental.

Thank god fedora has that new swap in ram feature. It went up and up and up and up and up and up and up and..... Down! Have to try on lower settings. First run. But not bad.

GPU also hit full everything. But it does all jump up and down a lot. So, it's not stuck going in one direction only like KSP1.

(LOW SETTINGS!!) Let us all hold hands and pray! Oh, Lord. Give us this day our daily ram...

https://imgur.com/a/ryCviV8

AwxKz3P.png

With one basic plane loaded up I get this:

tBYJBNv.png

vgFZJdp.png

Does this mean this game would run realy well on a system with that amd ifinifabric ram stuff?

In game FPS: 1.6 fps on the runway. Just playable!! 8D

u4cxASK.png

Edited by Arugela

36 minutes ago, I Smell Smoke said:

Discovered that Alt-Tab out of the Game prevents you from being able to get back in to the same window with out shutting down and restarting.

I've run into this issue with a lot of games, even running multiple monitors.

Try going into the graphics settings and switching it from Fullscreen to Borderless Fullscreen (or whatever it's called.)

Intel i7-8700K

32GB of RAM

NVidia GTX 1660TI

Linux Mint 21.1

PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 %command% with proton experimental.

Game launches, but I struggle in the settings:

I am able to launch the game from steam with "Proton Experimental" with the following system:
KERNEL: 5.15.0-60-generic
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080
GPU DRIVER: NVIDIA 525.78.01
RAM: 64 GB

With the launch options provided by @Nemecle i am able to circumvent the PD launcher :valawe:

5 hours ago, Nemecle said:

* Set Launch option as:

eval $( echo "LC_ALL=C PROTON_LOG=1 %command%" | sed "s/PDLauncher\/LauncherPatcher.exe'.*/KSP2_x64.exe'/" )

I experimented with the additional launch option "PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1" and on my system using the option produced a heavy drop in fps.

Following some images with the launch option (fps counter in upper left corner):

Dt3RAIs.png1ptSwgi.png

j7moLQ8.png

And now the same situations without the launch option (fps counter in upper left corner)

Ur6l83g.pngGUYGSJe.png4CfH7RT.png

Edited by scapi
corrected linux distribution

2 hours ago, I Smell Smoke said:

I can confirm that adding this command to the Steam command line "PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 %command%" resolved the crash after launcher play.

Proton Experimental

Pre-launcher opens, prelauncher fails to login directly, but does link to steam after clicking Skip and creating the account separately in an internet browser.

Game fails to launch from the launcher/store by clicking the play button - However, changing the launch options to "PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 %command%" resolved the crash after launcher play.

Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon
CPU: i7-12700kf
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT

Will update with performance after I play.

I've been playing with it a bit and I found a way to run the game in Proton 7.0-6 and without the WINED3D launch option.

I went to Games->Add a Non-Steam Game, and pointed it to the KSP2_x64.exe file.  Ran just fine without switching to Experimental or adding the PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 option.

Skips the launcher and ran better.  Slightly smoother (at least less stuttery), and the planet's no longer disappearing when I launch.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.