When will we start seeing mods for the game?

Ryaja

KSP2 has really sparked my interest again in modding. I've been AWOL for some time due to personal reasons but the models I have created I look forward to continuing and then releasing now that things are back on track with myself (and after I update my PC).

I've been looking at KSPs current models in the game and it's impressive even on my low-end rig. It will be impressive to see other peoples work in the game that's for sure.

I'm currently trying to figure out how to (in that order)

• get the thing to runcrawl on my (way underpowered, especially in the GPU department) Linux laptop
    • from Steam with Proton
      • figure out where in the launcher the feedback buttons are
      • figure out how to give feedback on the official channels without the darn launcher
    • from a copied install with Wine, and with neither the launcher nor the rest of the Steam spyware
  • how to set up an IDE for modding it
  • what APIs might actually be available to hook into

After all of that, I'll either start modding (I actually have a fairly detailed idea for a mod), buy a more adequate rig (might do that anyway, but can't quite convince myself to shell out around 2.5 k€ for it yet), wait until the dev team gets around to giving us poor modders some hints on where to start, or give up in disgust :wink:

Current status: Halfway into the very first step. Starting from Steam (with "Proton Experimental" as compatibility layer) works (including the launcher - that's something that never worked for me with KSP1) and actually gets me to the start screen and the settings page. Tried to actually start a game on default settings just for fun, ran out of RAM and crashed. Pretty surprised I got even this far. Will try again tomorrow with settings that maybe actually could get me to the KSP scene...

Oh yes, the rig I tried this out on:

CPU: i5-8265U
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: Intel UHD 620 (yes, really)

Edited by RKunze

2 hours ago, RKunze said:

Oh yes, the rig I tried this out on:

CPU: i5-8265U
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: Intel UHD 620 (yes, really)

Good luck, I was only able to get an average of 7fps during gameplay with proton, and that was 720p Minimum. It was only ever playable in the tracking centre or map view, anything else slowed to a crawl.

Here are my specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: GTX 1080
RAM: 32GB 3200mhz

I'm currently downloading a copy of Winblows to a spare ssd of mine, hopefully that should help my system run ksp2 until actual optimisation comes our way.

19 minutes ago, VITAS said:

This already exists: https://spacedock.info/mod/3255/BepInEx for KSP 2

i havent looked at it yet.

Interesting. I use r2ModMan for several games, and would happily toss KSP2 in there as well.

CKAN's great and all but r2ModMan is quickly becoming my main way to start games.

1 hour ago, VITAS said:

This already exists: https://spacedock.info/mod/3255/BepInEx for KSP 2

i havent looked at it yet.

Come on. This is nothing more than the base BepInEx. There is nothing specific to KSP in there. Sure, it lets you load code and patch things, but calling that a KSP mod tool is a bit premature.

The lack of official mod support makes sense from the dev perspective given the current state of the game. But the current gold rush for 1st mod and multiplication of method to loads mods does not bode well for the state of modding when the official support come.

And a concrete statement on what is actually planned for the official mod support would be quite welcome to at least know where we are going and avoid wasting our time. The current code and its "everything mod is a Unity Bundle" looks bleak from my chair...

@sarbian maybe but its a start. We are not even 24h in. I too hoped for a more substantial modding support and docu out of the gate. It would have been a greate chance to give modders a head start.

@Superfluous J You are welcome to use and contribute to whatever mod manager you want. SpaceDock has an API ( https://github.com/KSP-SpaceDock/SpaceDock/blob/master/api.md  ) and is open source so it will provide whatever you want.

Edited by VITAS

It seems to me that now the main mod that the community needs is graphic, so that the game does not eat up resources as if I launched an AAA project at maximum graphics settings. And so that at the same time the graphics were normal with normal FPS, and not like now - graphics from games of the 90s.
Then the second mod is a career, so that it works, and a research tree.
The third mod is to make normal indicators and font in various pop-up and game menus. 
The fourth mod is to modify the maneuver points to normal, with the display of information about the assumed orbit and the normal display of information about the maneuver.

2 hours ago, rebel-1 said:

It seems to me that now the main mod that the community needs is graphic, so that the game does not eat up resources as if I launched an AAA project at maximum graphics settings.

Antiparallax 1.0.
To unmake rays, clouds, etc.

EVU 1.0
Environmental Visual Unhancement

Blind Astronomer's Pack.

2 hours ago, VITAS said:

Are those mods or patch requests?

A mod is an unborn patch.

Edited by kerbiloid

15 hours ago, sarbian said:

Come on. This is nothing more than the base BepInEx. There is nothing specific to KSP in there. Sure, it lets you load code and patch things, but calling that a KSP mod tool is a bit premature.

The lack of official mod support makes sense from the dev perspective given the current state of the game. But the current gold rush for 1st mod and multiplication of method to loads mods does not bode well for the state of modding when the official support come.

And a concrete statement on what is actually planned for the official mod support would be quite welcome to at least know where we are going and avoid wasting our time. The current code and its "everything mod is a Unity Bundle" looks bleak from my chair...

The entire point of making mods is to add functionality to a game that the developers themselves didn't add. If that includes the ability to load the mods in the first place then so be it

But by waiting for the official implementation to come along you're binding yourself to Private Division's timeline, which could be a month or several years away depending on how they're feeling.

We waited a long time for career mode to come out in KSP 1, but that didn't stop people from making their own mods to simulate it in the meantime. We never recieved the full resource mining workflow but we ended up making mods that filled in that gap

The pessimist in me says that a lot of devs these days rely on mods to complete the game for them, but the end result is the same. If the game hasn't added something the way you wanted or in the timeframe you want, the most effective way to fix that is to do it yourself.

On 2/25/2023 at 6:09 PM, rebel-1 said:

It seems to me that now the main mod that the community needs is graphic, so that the game does not eat up resources as if I launched an AAA project at maximum graphics settings. And so that at the same time the graphics were normal with normal FPS, and not like now - graphics from games of the 90s.
Then the second mod is a career, so that it works, and a research tree.
The third mod is to make normal indicators and font in various pop-up and game menus. 
The fourth mod is to modify the maneuver points to normal, with the display of information about the assumed orbit and the normal display of information about the maneuver.

i run Call of Duty on Ultra settings with ~40fps on my RTX3070 and in 5120x1440, KSP doesnt run higher than 25fps even if i reduce to 3440x1440, so no, it doesnt "eat up resources as AAA on max" it eats up more with lower quality

@VITAS is it possible to add a distinction on SpaceDock for ModLoader ? like category BePinEx and SpaceWarp ? 

Yes. I hope that everything boils down to one place to comunicate. Having all this seperate walled gardens on top of the forums and the established watering hole feels a bit ineffective.

Edited by VITAS

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.