Does KSP2 REQUIRE a GPU

darthvader15001

Do I need a GPU for KSP2   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Do I need a GPU for KSP2

2 hours ago, runner78 said:

You always need a GPU to see anything on a monitor at all. I hardly think you can play KSP via an SSH Terminal from another computer.

I am only joking, but hear me out. You could run something like https://github.com/fathyb/carbonyl and connect a remote client to a cloud gaming service of your choosing (e.g. CloudMorph), then connect to that client via SSH and render the game on essentially any machine that is capable of displaying a terminal. You would still need a GPU to initially render the game though.

Edit: The selected cloud gaming service would need a web interface. CloudMorph provides a WebRTC Interface that can be accessed via the browser.

Edited by Lorunification

1 minute ago, Lorunification said:

I am only joking, but hear me out. You could run something like https://github.com/fathyb/carbonyl and connect a remote client to a cloud gaming service of your choosing (e.g. CloudMorph), then connect to that client via SSH and render the game on essentially any machine that is capable of displaying a terminal. You would still need a GPU to initially render the game though.

Child's play. Get back to me once it's being rendered over a teletype.

2 hours ago, runner78 said:

I hardly think you can play KSP via an SSH Terminal from another computer.

Well, you *can* actually play KSP 1 like that (telnet from a terminal), via kOS!

telnet.png

Due to security restrictions on mods, it takes some networking wizardry to actually control the game fully from remote via a terminal, but when you get it working, it's amazing!

https://ksp-kos.github.io/KOS/general/telnet.html

Just a frame buffer and a VT-100 my dude.  No GPU required.

This of course is a joke/sophism.  What this thread is really about is "Does one need a discrete graphics card, or can it be played with integrated graphics?"  In it's current state, folks will need a dedicated graphics card, but who knows where we'll be after years of optimization.

Edited by Chilkoot

5 minutes ago, Chilkoot said:

Just a frame buffer and a VT-100 my dude.  No GPU required.

This of course is a joke/sophism.  What this thread is really about is "Does one need a discrete graphics card, or can it be played with integrated graphics?".  In it's current state, folks will need a dedicated graphics card, but who knows where we'll be after years of optimization.

Well a few weeks ago I wrote in a thread that the average KSP player is not a gamer with a  GPU of 2 years and people called me crazy and out of touch with reality. Well it seems  the invisible hand of market has proved me right.

I play it on integrated graphics. It runs extremely slow, but I can perform some tasks. Launching a rocket takes a long time but once I get into space it runs at pretty much full speed as long as im not looking at kerbin. I cant fly any planes as it runs to slow to properly control the vehicle. 

• 6 months later...
On 2/27/2023 at 4:13 PM, KerbolExplorer said:

Welcome to gaming on 2023, you are most likely to need a proper GPU now.

That being said, KSP2 is nowhere near the graphical fidelity of needing an RTX card

Under what rock have you been living?  Unless you have been playing solitair or mine-sweeper, you have pretty much always needed a GPU. Geez, I already had a Hercules card back in the XT days.

Integrated graphics are meant for desktop use, if you can play any game on it it will be at epilepsy level of frame-rates.  ;)

Some CPUs with integrated graphics can approach the performance of older budget discrete GPUs, making them acceptable for lightweight games or well optimized, fancier games at lower settings.

That said, while KSP2 has made good strides in performance compared to launch, I wouldn't bet a purchase on it qualifying for the above.

Edited by Lyneira

5 hours ago, Lyneira said:

That said, while KSP2 has made good strides in performance compared to launch, I wouldn't bet a purchase on it qualifying for the above.

Fortunately you won’t have to, buy it, try it, if it doesn’t perform to your expectations, refund it!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.