Praise and things we like

Vl3d

I'm almost speechless. I have caught a glimpse of KSP2's greatness. Landing on Eve is one of the most beautiful experiences I've ever had in KSP. What a masterpiece!

Later edit: I landed on Duna also. WOW... sublime!

Edited by Vl3d

What do I like about KSP2?  Almost everything.

The graphics are amazing.  I've landed on Mun twice, and both spots looked extraordinarily different from one another, which is something KSP1 does not have.  In KSP1, different spots on the same body look the same; there is really no difference between landing in a crater or landing on the flats other than one is caved in and the other is, well, flat.  Sure, there are some variations.  But the texturing in KSP2 is fantastic, and being able to see the terrain from orbit is wonderful.

The parts we have access to are wonderful.  I like having a shortened list of parts to play with, and it makes it easier to figure out which part to use when you aren't sifting through a pile of junk.  I get lost sometimes in KSP1 with an overload of parts to use.  There are parts in KSP1 I have NEVER used even though they are available (I'm looking at Engine Plates, for example).  This doesn't mean they don't have use, just that I have never used them because of the ridiculous number of options in front of me.  So having a reduced set of parts in KSP2 is a boon AFAIAC.

Audio is awesome.  Actual sounds of jet engines and rockets and such is awesome.  The music is cool.  The chatter of the Kerbals when things are happening (like just before a node burn, or even the launch countdown) is awesome.  To see that the devs listened to people about the sounds makes me smile.

I love this game.  Yes, it's early access.  Yes, there are bugs.  Yes, I get frustrated at some of the things that are missing or need to be cleaned up.  But to me, the game was worth the $50 + tax I spent on it.  I know it will be some time before fixes are in, and I know that not everything I want fixed will get fixed.  But KSP2 has reignited the reason why I fell in love with this series to begin with.

@JoeSchmuckatelli

"I'm really impressed with how beautiful the game looks!

Looking at Kerbin from space or tooling around on Minmus is a real joy.  Space is cool to look at while in orbit.  The lighting, sunrises (both on land and in orbit) the atmospheric effects (clouds)... all of it.

Really enjoying it!

Also - the soundtrack; it's got these elements that are so subtle and yet help with the enjoyment.  Music playing while I was in orbit and watching the sun come up on Minmus, the slightly more exciting music that plays during a launch - I feel like the music is subtle, appropriate and timely.

Looking forward to having time again to play; I want to see more of what the team has created.  Thanks!"

Jool looks absolutely incredible. I have never seen a gas giant depicted with such accuracy and beauty in any game, ever. The volumetric clouds are mind blowing.
@ the dev who designed Jool: Pat yourself on the back will ya?

Edited by nubcaker

The sound design in this game is so next level and well-thought out. The change in pitch as you speed up or slow down time acceleration, the dynamic music cues, the engine sounds and how they taper and change as atmo density changes, the themed music for different SOIs...it's just so good. Even the announcer at KSC who continues to report on progress of your mission when you dock or stage.

It's absolutely magical.

(Oh, and how it looks, the new UI, the onboarding, the tutorial videos, the P.A.I.G.E. voice actor, the procedural parts, those cargo bays, the painter tools, the attention to detail in KSC's new design, the explosions, the countdowns, AND MOST OF ALL HOW WHEN YOU SKIP THE COUNTDOWN THE ANNOUNCER IS JUST LIKE "...OKAY")

You could say I'm a fan of this game.

its hard to actually find anything that works properly in this game, but the things i really enjoyed so far are:

Procedural wings (sadly its just wings, i wish we had procedural tanks and everything else procedural)
Ability to paint my rockets

sadly thats about it already, almost everything in this game is just broken.

I love the procedural wings! They are amazing! I've been playing planes on kerbin all these days. Will flaps and spoilers be added to them in the future? That will be perfect!

The parallel views tool in VAB is very useful when adjust the parts accurately. I use it quite often.

The parts manager is helpful when I can't select a part by click. And it make the operation of spacecraft simple and clean.

I like the music and the cloud, they are gorgeous. Is there any chance the cloud and terrains will have higher resolution in the future?

Edited by 机械主教71号

17 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

You make flaps by adding wings near the CoL that deploy when you use an action group. Basically, KSP 2 already has them.

I think that's quite different. Flaps can be settled on the front or tail of wings, they change the lift force by changing the curvy of wings. Deploying a series of control surfaces is too complex. Hope the FAR of KSP2 comes early.:wink:

Edited by 机械主教71号

Once I worked around fuel bugs with landing legs and installed the Sticky Orbit Markers mod and used some Kentucky windage on my transfer burn start times, I had a nice trip to Minmus surface and back.

Minmus looks good! Landing was fun. I hope we get fixes quick, because behind the bugs, there is some fun gameplay here.

There are so many things that are either great already or have immense promise... among the best IMO:

• Size groupings in the VAB make quick-and-dirty launches much easier.  If I need to move a payload to Minmus, it's literally 3-4 minutes build to launch with a "good enough" rocket.
  • The world-level 3D graphics are sometimes breathtaking.  The textured greebles on ship designs, the varied landscapes on planets - anything rendered "in world" is just such a huge step forward.  Throw in reflections and specular highlights and there are some true "oh wow" moments.
  • The sound.  OMG the sound is just so well-executed and attentively designed.
  • The tutorials are going to make the game so much more approachable for new players.
  • Boat launching.  This is going to open up some great new adventures!
  • The new skybox really adds some magic to those long, lonely Hohmann transfers.
  • Being able to land on a body and not slide all over hell's half acre.  There is actually ground friction now, and that's a big deal.
  • I actually like the new Kerbal animations and expressions.  Come at me!!

There's a ton to like in the new release, and as long as the funding keeps coming to get us out of EA, this game is going to be another "played it for 10 years" title.

was playing with ion ships today and i have to say, the new physics warp is awesome. this needs to be spot on for interstellar flights and i think it passes muster. still need a way to plot constant thrust trajectories, but with the basic ion drives i think this is adequate for the current state of the game. 

@Bej Kerman:
"
..the devs are juggling the core game you and many others are whining about and all the background features that are not yet ready for release? Or the fact they're dealing with technical challenges Squad didn't even bother with? Maybe even the fact much of the game they were working on probably went out the window with Star Theory? Don't forget that they are also trying to support interstellar travel using techniques that are being pioneered right now, you can't complain about them taking their time to implement object position tracking in a way that they can't just take off a stack exchange, when literally nobody has done anything of the sort before."

I overcame some technical challenges this afternoon and once I'd designed around a few of the known bugs I had a probe on course for Duna for the first time in my 12 hours of playtime in KSP2. It was always one of my favourite haunts in KSP1, so I wanted to make it the first place I visited, even over the local moons. Using a mixture of muscle memory and design simplification I was soon on an atmosphere grazing flyby trajectory of Duna, the probe gathering gigabytes of data of Ike and Duna for later transmission to Kerbin. 

This brings me to my point. I'd read a few things about good audio etc. but I don't think I was ready for, without hyperbole, what is one of the more emotional experiences I've ever had in KSP. The audio and visual combination of an atmosphere skimming flyby of Duna was nothing short of breath-taking, and I'm not afraid to admit I shed a tear (A few actually).

Absolutely massive congratulations to the sound and visual designers for KSP2! This simple mission was a powerful audio-visual indication of the promise this game holds.  Well done team!

SM

I'm alot less gloomy after I pulled the trigger on a long awaited graphics card upgrade. My initial card was below the min specs, and it would run if I dropped everything to minimal resolution/graphics. The physics ran ok, but was just too hard to see what I was doing.  The new card is a bit below the recommended specs, but not alot. 

With the new card; I really like the look of the game & the sound design is really enjoyable as well. There are some definite 'wow, that's nice' moments. 

I was able to launch a fairly complex rocket, and excluding a small stutter at ignition, any lag while in atmosphere was not noticeable. 

There are alot of very nice QoL features that I am bumping in to (like in the VAB, the little cube that shows if you are looking at the 'front' or 'side' of the rocket) all over the place.

Construction is just different enough that my muscle memory betrays me; I think it will be better, but have to keep playing for sure. 

12 minutes ago, Doc said:

Construction is just different enough that my muscle memory betrays me; I think it will be better, but have to keep playing for sure. 

It took me a bit to adjust too but now that I have, construction overall is just SOOOOOOO much better than KSP1. In no particular order:

• Subassemblies! I can just yank a chunk off the craft, click things onto it, then click it back on. Or design the stages separately, then click them together into a launch assembly.
  • General clickiness! Things click together positively, I'm not hunting for nodes anymore. They just click!
  • Parts pane! Categories! Sorted by size! Favourites! ZOMG
  • Switch between H and V orientation with one click -- design a rover, then design the rocket to launch the rover, then assemble. WOW!
  • Single translate/rotate tool! No more clicking back and forth between translate and rotate!

There are clearly a few rough bits too (the parts manager is big and clunky f.ex) but I've no doubt those will get some polish. The fundamental design is just terrific and way, WAY more fluid than KSP1's. 

Looks and sounds good too!

The tutorials are very well done and it made it super easy to my wife into the game as well. That was a difficult task with KSP1. I also love the countdown clock but, I'm annoyed the launch plume is a static animation. Upsidown rockets shouldn't leave a plume under the launch deck.

Also the sound design and procedural wings! So good!

Edited by TheRustedShackleford
Forgot about the amazing sound design!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.