Praise and things we like

Vl3d

On 3/2/2023 at 4:44 PM, TheRustedShackleford said:

The tutorials are very well done and it made it super easy to my wife into the game as well. That was a difficult task with KSP1. I also love the countdown clock but, I'm annoyed the launch plume is a static animation. Upsidown rockets should leave a plume under the launch deck.

Also the sound design and procedural wings! So good!

My eldest has been doing the tutorials, since she is old enough to learn. They are well done and useful - she really likes them and it makes the whole learning curve for non-engineers a whole lot nicer

On 3/2/2023 at 10:09 AM, Sea_Kerman said:

ye, I miss the absolute mode from KSP1 and the move/rotate widget could do with being a bit bigger and less fiddly, but the general concepts are great.

Right click on the translate/rotate tool button, you can toggle between absolute and local there.

27 minutes ago, Periple said:

Right click on the translate/rotate tool button, you can toggle between absolute and local there.

thing is, both options snap locally, relative to the position of the part being moved, not relative to the root part or assembly. All that option changes is the orientation of the move/rotate widget

Edited by Sea_Kerman

20 hours ago, Sea_Kerman said:

thing is, both options snap locally, relative to the position of the part being moved, not relative to the root part or assembly. All that option changes is the orientation of the move/rotate widget

Right, true absolute snapping should allow you to clip 2 identical parts on the same root to be moved entirely clipping into each other - this is not possible, all snapping is local, which kinda sucks. This is what I would consider to be a basic feature that is lacking.

Edited by Derb

@The Aziz: "The environments are much prettier, there's no volumetric clouds in the old one, planets are no longer just high res reskins but are pretty much completely new, the textures have higher resolution, the plumes are better, so is the steam cloud on the launchpad, Kerbal animations are much better... "

Edited by Vl3d

31 minutes ago, Anth12 said:

Heres something pretty amazing:
A kerbal no longer rag dolls. In fact it just lands on its feet even at high speeds. It seems so natural to be able to do this doesn't it? Fantastic work by the developers here.

This is for a bug report to get it even better hopefully:

That's not normal. He should fall over and flip.

36 minutes ago, Anth12 said:

Heres something pretty amazing:
A kerbal no longer rag dolls. In fact it just lands on its feet even at high speeds. It seems so natural to be able to do this doesn't it? Fantastic work by the developers here.

This is for a bug report to get it even better hopefully:

Yeah I was very disappointed when my kerbal no longer flopped and flailed around upon throwing him at the ground. On the bright side, they scream a lot and even make a loud bang sound when thrown against the side of a fuel tank :)

28 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

That's not normal. He should fall over and flip.

I know. The only reason I made the video was for the bug report where I suggested some animations. It's obviously not normal. But the coding that took to do it so well is what is amazing. It tries to deceive my mind into thinking that's natural when it obviously isn't.

My bug report suggests staggering, falling over, falling over and sliding, couch and slide like a super hero. 

28 minutes ago, Coin said:

Yeah I was very disappointed when my kerbal no longer flopped and flailed around upon throwing him at the ground. On the bright side, they scream a lot and even make a loud bang sound when thrown against the side of a fuel tank :)

I don't like the ragdolling in KSP1.  So I think an in between situation would be better. A compromise if you will between realistic physics and avoiding what KSP1 did badly.

6 minutes ago, Anth12 said:

I don't like the ragdolling in KSP1.  So I think an in between situation would be better. A compromise if you will between realistic physics and avoiding what KSP1 did badly.

Yeah, they shouldn't be unresponsive. The part where they were "unconscious" after a fall was just wasted time.

18 minutes ago, Anth12 said:

I'd like if it was exactly like KSP1 at high speeds, but just a stumble animation when you drop 10 feet (like, on the mun lol) because in KSP1 they go braindead pretty much every time they hit the ground.

Its discovered because of a bug... but the KSC following us through space shows us something important...

water can exist in this game as a separate terrain as opposed to only a sea level layer. Surprised I haven't seen someone mention this yet. So theoretically we could build lakes at the top of mountains...

1 hour ago, Coin said:

I'd like if it was exactly like KSP1 at high speeds, but just a stumble animation when you drop 10 feet (like, on the mun lol) because in KSP1 they go braindead pretty much every time they hit the ground.

Once they go into that state they become non responsive with no ability to save themselves. I just find that frustrating.

6 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

So theoretically we could build lakes at the top of mountains...

Devs can build any exotic terrain feature as a mesh and place it on top of the height map.

• 2 months later...
On 3/5/2023 at 3:53 AM, Coin said:

Yes, and it was way worse on low gravity worlds, on the Mun it looked pretty realistic, on Minmus not so much. 

On 5/8/2023 at 2:42 PM, magnemoe said:

Yes, and it was way worse on low gravity worlds, on the Mun it looked pretty realistic, on Minmus not so much. 

I remember following along the arrival of the Rosetta mission at comet 67P and the subsequent landing of the Philae lander, which didn't manage to grapple onto the surface on touchdown. The lander was sent tumbling and iirc it took many hours for the lander to hit the ground again after that, and it bounced several more times before finally coming to a stop in a place where it didn't get enough sunlight to keep running for long.

I agree Kerbals sent tumbling should regain control soon after the impact but, aside from that, bouncing around higher and longer on low gravity worlds should be a thing!

Edited by Lyneira

4 hours ago, Lyneira said:

I remember following along the arrival of the Rosetta mission at comet 67P and the subsequent landing of the Philae lander, which didn't manage to grapple onto the surface on touchdown. The lander was sent tumbling and iirc it took many hours for the lander to hit the ground again after that, and it bounced several more times before finally coming to a stop in a place where it didn't get enough sunlight to keep running for long.

I agree Kerbals sent tumbling should regain control soon after the impact but, aside from that, bouncing around higher and longer on low gravity worlds should be a thing!

Here I agree, you would tumble but Kerbals should not be knocked out from impact a bit more than safe landing distance, for hard impacts it makes sense but they should not have to wait for tumble to end before you get control back. 

It might have been said already, but I really enjoy being able to put custom colors on my crafts. I especially like the ability to change opacity to get more metallic colors.

I think it's a highly underrated stock feature

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.