How is KSP 2 Modding Going to Work?

DarkBrave_

I'm just asking you all for what you think the most likely way modding will be added (or forced in by someone) to KSP 2 will be. Some people have said that we're getting a modding platform build-in, which is possible as the developers have stated they want to keep the "modibility" in the game. However that is not on the current major roadmap, so it probably will not be added for some time. Obviously people are going to want mods very soon, but others have stated here that the files exported from Unity are stored a bit different than in KSP 1, so it will be much more difficult. As with all games, it will happen eventually, but when do you think it will happen? Also what mods/mod ideas do you want to see brought over to KSP 2?

I've had a look at the game's internals and there seem to be four types of mods planned:

• Content
  • C# mods
  • Lua mods
  • "Shakesphere" (which I'm presuming to be contract mods)

But it seems very incomplete, as it's unable to do any sort of loading at all and lacks a lot of things like handling mod dependencies. The only way you can do modding right now  is if you use a generic tool that allows mods to be loaded into Unity games

Theres no gamedata anymore so i dont know where there gonna move it and how they will make it im not  a modder but i think they might find a way idk but theres gonna be modding theres already a page for modding on space dock and a mod is already being made so im not sure but i do know that there is gonna be modding

2 hours ago, AlphaMensae said:

There's the framework at least for an in-game modloader present, and it appears it will use a GameData folder to load mods from.

Did you just decompile the code and found the "loader" (which I did found too) or do you know how to use  it to make a custom part? Any insight would be appreciated.

As of now, the game doesn't seem to be moddable. I recall the early declarations that KSP2 will be modders friendly. Well, the early access version is certainly not friendly. And not only to the modders, if you ask me.

7 hours ago, IgorZ said:

Did you just decompile the code and found the "loader" (which I did found too) or do you know how to use  it to make a custom part? Any insight would be appreciated.

As of now, the game doesn't seem to be moddable. I recall the early declarations that KSP2 will be modders friendly. Well, the early access version is certainly not friendly. And not only to the modders, if you ask me.

Oh, I didn't do it myself, I'm just reporting the findings of numerous others who have.  The game code is being dissected left and right by a lot of experienced coders, who are NOT impressed with what they  see.

Official "modding support" means when the devs finish and turn on the in-game mod-loader/manager.  I suspected long ago that KSP2 would use Unity asset bundles and an in-game mod manager/loader, like most other modern games today. The method Squad used for KSP1 (separate .mu and .cfg files for each part) was done when Unity was a lot different than today and asset bundles were behind a paywall, and Squad was either unwilling to pay the fee or unable to, being a tiny company.

5 hours ago, AlphaMensae said:

Oh, I didn't do it myself, I'm just reporting the findings of numerous others who have.  The game code is being dissected left and right by a lot of experienced coders, who are NOT impressed with what they  see.

I'm not surprised by this, as I've long suspected when they announced a long delay in release of KSP2, that they had problems, and were scrambling for solutions.

While all the hypertrain videos looked nice.. the personal interviews did not impress me, also the  required 'No Reclaim' tick box in the purchasing sequence is a red flag.

But let's see... we might be pleasantly surprised.

:wink:

Edited by ColKlonk2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.