Planet Modding..?

Heliocentric

4 hours ago, Vl3d said:

Chill with the modding for a few days. Let the devs iron out the bugs before making APIs. Love.

This is the modding subforum. Please don't dissuade people from discussing modding here.

I too am interested in the levels to which KSP planets can be modified.

On 2/24/2023 at 10:18 PM, Vl3d said:

Chill with the modding for a few days. Let the devs iron out the bugs before making APIs. Love.

Perhaps!

I managed to talk my way into moderating the KSP 2 Modding Society and they are always in VC, trying to figure out everything about the game :joy:

On 2/24/2023 at 11:18 PM, Vl3d said:

"Modder's Gonna Mod"
- Chris Adderley, Kerbal Space Program 2: Episode 6 - Early Access  [6m50s]

Edited by AstroClef

7 hours ago, spacegamer7 said:

I barely know anything about modding, but i think you can just export the bodies as .JSON?

I'm looking for planet data right now in the game files and haven't found them yet, where can I export JSON files from?

Edit:
Found some planet information here in BUNDLE Files. You can open them with a text editor.
Some information is Encrypted, but not most the planet characteristics I was looking for! :)

There's evidence of two additional celestial bodies (My guess they were used for testing):

• Bis
    • ["bodyDisplayName"] = "Bis",
    • ["bodyDescription"] = "Another moon"
  • Verda 
    • ["bodyDisplayName"] = "Verda",
    • ["bodyDescription"] = "A quiet moon"

File Path:

..\Kerbal Space Program 2\KSP2_x64_Data\StreamingAssets\aa\StandaloneWindows64

I also  found this:

"AutoStrutTechRequired": "generalConstruction",

"Hmmmmmmm.......hmmmm.......hmmm"

3rqo43.png?w=40

Edited by AstroClef

16 hours ago, AstroClef said:

I'm looking for planet data right now in the game files and haven't found them yet, where can I export JSON files from?

Edit:
Found some planet information here in BUNDLE Files. You can open them with a text editor.
Some information is Encrypted, but not most the planet characteristics I was looking for! :)

There's evidence of two additional celestial bodies (My guess they were used for testing):

• Bis
    • ["bodyDisplayName"] = "Bis",
    • ["bodyDescription"] = "Another moon"
  • Verda 
    • ["bodyDisplayName"] = "Verda",
    • ["bodyDescription"] = "A quiet moon"

File Path:

..\Kerbal Space Program 2\KSP2_x64_Data\StreamingAssets\aa\StandaloneWindows64

I also  found this:

"AutoStrutTechRequired": "generalConstruction",

"Hmmmmmmm.......hmmmm.......hmmm"

3rqo43.png?w=40

OOOOOOO  0_0

Keep me posted on what you find! This sounds interesting!

On 3/2/2023 at 5:53 PM, AstroClef said:

So these bundle files are just sitting there in the file system like KSP1 config files?

Do they have orbital/physical parameters like tilt, obliquity, etc?

Any chance you could post full details on a planet or moon?

Edited by Superfluous J

On 3/4/2023 at 11:47 PM, Superfluous J said:

So these bundle files are just sitting there in the file system like KSP1 config files?

Do they have orbital/physical parameters like tilt, obliquity, etc?

Any chance you could post full details on a planet or moon?

Anyone with the game can follow this path and open it in a text editor to get a planet's sim info (If you do it corrupts the file, but that's a quick fix by Verifying the integrity of game files in steam, saving the document with/without changes also breaks the game. #readonly):

...\KSP2_x64_Data\StreamingAssets\aa\StandaloneWindows64\celestialbody_json_assets_all_b3b2adb239fb47f97cde0a1635bf3da4.bundle

Since it's a BUNDLE file you can also use tools like AssetStudio.

You need something that will open the AssetFiles, AssetStudio, UABEA and AssetsTools/AssetView will do that for any bundle file
you can also browse them using ThunderKit and Unity but thats a good bit more heavy weight if you want to keep things light and also doesn't do any kind of extraction

- @Twiner, KSP 2 Modding Society, #mod-making-help

Edited by AstroClef

On 3/9/2023 at 11:22 PM, AstroClef said:

Anyone with the game

That's the problem of course :D I don't have the game. I want to know how much I can easily change with a couple simple to use utilities and a text editor. i.e., without needing to know how to write full-on Unity mods that hack code into programs not expecting it... BEFORE buying the game.

I'm looking for information like "Yeah you just unpack the file with xyz-unpacker, and the tilt angle, rotation rate, orbital parameters, they're all there in zyx-planets.cfg as just numbers that you can change. Once you're done, re-package the files using xyz-repacker and run the game!"

Or whatever :D

Edited by Superfluous J

58 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

That's the problem of course :D I don't have the game. I want to know how much I can easily change with a couple simple to use utilities and a text editor. i.e., without needing to know how to write full-on Unity mods that hack code into programs not expecting it... BEFORE buying the game.

I'm looking for information like "Yeah you just unpack the file with xyz-unpacker, and the tilt angle, rotation rate, orbital parameters, they're all there in zyx-planets.cfg as just numbers that you can change. Once you're done, re-package the files using xyz-repacker and run the game!"

Or whatever :D

Seems like all the planet data is bundled as addressables, and while there are tools to extract those, you will need Unity to package them again.

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.