Space elevators!

puzzler300

I wonder if less hacky version could be made as a plugin. Would it be possible to adapt something like the Orbital Construction Mod so that it would slowly bring you up an imaginary tether attached to a geostationary satellite?

The tether could just be a drawn line (like in the Lazor mod or Docking mods) between an anchor and the satellite. \

If you could place the anchor, you could use this to deliver things to and from the surface of planets and moons.

Edited by lucidLemon

R4m0n's launch pad oblilberator, and then clicking on the part.

Whats the launch pad obliterator?

I just went into my .craft file and added 700,000m to the height of each part.

If I try to do it with multiple launch clamps the ship tends to tear itself apart though.

Yea the idea of a space elevator is you use the elevator to take parts up into orbit without a launch. The elevator itself uses the earth's rotational force to keep up. Basically a geosynchronous orbit satellite with a long cable down to the surface.

If you can build a craft piece by piece in orbit, then you don't have to worry about pesky things like air resistance on the launch.

It gives you more freedom in your ship design as well as more stability in the design. I'd like to see something like that in KSP really, but short of mods, not much so far.

Until some development comes along where you can haul parts up with a shuttle and assemble things in space....

The only way you'll get massive ships is with mods, or launching them with obscenely huge game breaking launchers.

If we could launch from orbit, it'd mean we can make extremely huge starships.

• 2 years later...

One thought I had was to try and make us of the Kerbal Attachment System cables. Get the station launched into geosynchronous orbit, then lower the ground base down to the surface. Then see about anchoring it to the ground. Might need to build a custom winch with enough cable length for that.