The classic: Land on the VAB and plant a flag

Klapaucius

It is a rite of passage in KSP 1, so let's get this going now.

Rules:  Get a Kerbal onto the roof of the VAB and plant a flag.   I won't put any more restrictions on this. Figure out a way to get there and do it.

Bonus style points if you don't wreck anything in the process (like I did).  (BTW: Kudos to the team for the Kerbal animations.  The reason she looks so weird is she was scratching her hindquarters).

BONUS: Plant a flag in the satellite dish.

9OnR1ss.png

Spoiler

XzmscLs.png

qfbXANg.png

6QcTsRY.png

Edited by Klapaucius

9 minutes ago, Rutabaga22 said:

Not if they kill the kraken ;)

Zx8R3JF.png
I say they buffed it. 
Kennedy Kerman said in his famous speech, more booster will not solve this problems, we need space battleships farting nuclear bombs. We also need to rescue Valentina Kerman from the surface of Jool, yes that is correct. 
On the upside you can now fall trough the surface on an planet without getting the landing status. 
So you could get into orbit around the singularity inside the planet. 
As games get more advanced the more bugs and exploits shows up. 

2 hours ago, Draradech said:

Does landing count? I couldn't get out of the chair to plant a flag (chair is currently bugged).

jwqLUxS.jpeg

0IfNomK.jpeg

Bonus content (in flight, landed on research complex sphere):

Reveal hidden contents

WZ0yOum.jpeg

pFll0m5.jpeg

That's fine. I had the same issue. Got all the way to the surface of EVE using one of those and then got stuck.

My very first KSP2 challenge entry!  I found the throttle control on the J-20 whittle engine to be very challenging indeed.  Its desperately slow to respond to throttle inputs which makes fine control hard due to the lag. I'd like to see that adjusted in balancing, but I haven't really looked into whether that's realistic or not.

LNDdvnN.jpg

I managed to get out of the seat without issue unlike others, but I did have an issue with the landing legs sinking into the ground.  I remember this one from KSP1.  Also, for some reason on EVA standing on the VAB roof I was in orbit at 175 m/s according to the HUD :confused:

2BvIOgi.jpg

I tried to continue the flight to the satellite dish but ran out of fuel, pinged off an invisible collision box and exploded :)

Good times

SM

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The rules did not say that I have to FLY to the top... :D

Bob had too much Snacks and did not feel well. He didn't want to fly, so I built him a ladder to climb up the VAB.
(full video at bottom)

The top of the ladder with small engines and RCS thrusters to errect it and keep it stable. Apparently the VAB is 56 "Bobus" Ladders high
OZYwKJj.jpg

Driving it back to the VAB (Why did they have to drive it over to the runway in the first place? :huh:)
kD6GeHv.jpg

Ladder in place and errection in progress
9j5u5zY.jpg
aNvnaVh.jpg

After too many failed attempts, I got the right height and stability
9tQi7KE.jpg

Up we go
mJr2UCz.jpg

Finally on the top
Yf3xQiM.jpg
xIK8168.jpg

Full video

Edited by Bingmao

7 hours ago, Bingmao said:

The rules did not say that I have to FLY to the top... :D

Bob had too much Snacks and did not feel well. He didn't want to fly, so I built him a ladder to climb up the VAB.
(full video at bottom)

Yes, yes, yes!!!  I was hoping for something looney. Fan-freakin-tastic!

Sorry to gatecrash this challenge with a KSP1 entry (I haven't bought KSP2 yet), but I thought this too funny not to share. Would this method work in KSP2 as well?

Edited by QF9E

2 hours ago, QF9E said:

Sorry to gatecrash this challenge with a KSP1 entry (I haven't bought KSP2 yet), but I thought this too funny not to share. Would this method work in KSP2 as well?

In my opinion, this is the most kerbal way to win this challenge. Absolutely hilarious! I have to try this in KSP2.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.