Decouplers fail to decouple

Ambious

So I tried several different variations of this craft configuration and the same thing always happens:

NRdHkXo.jpg

In all variations there are at least three stages. They all always attached with stack decouplers (or separators, same thing happens), and when I try to detach the 2nd and 3rd stage, it won't seperate - the two stages remain attached even though the engines fire and the fairings drop. First and second stage don't have an issue.

I tried using structural trusses and moving the engines to another part and it still happened:

IcB7Kei.jpg

And here's an example of how it looks post non-seperation:

WaXdwkm.jpg

Here's a video demonstration:

https://i.imgur.com/hUEeOrC.mp4

I did notice however that every once in a while 'jiggling' the craft will set the previous stage loose, but not always.

I suspect it's a clipping issue.

Anyone else experience this?

7 hours ago, Vl3d said:

Yes, I've also experienced stages remaining attached to each other when decoupling.

I noticed that this always happens with several thruster like poodle and labradoodle.

Sometimes also when using parachutes, no matter how hard/often you press, nothing happens

55 minutes ago, dwing said:

I noticed that this always happens with several thruster like poodle and labradoodle.

Sometimes also when using parachutes, no matter how hard/often you press, nothing happens

I first noticed it with the Labradoodle engine. When I swapped from the TD-37 to the XL decoupler, I had no issues getting separation...except for janky look.

I have encountered this bug as well. The best that I can figure from my testing is it has to do with the engine shroud. My best guess is the game is thinking the engine shroud is still attached even though it was staged and that is what is holding the stages together. The way I’ve been working around this is to disable the engine shroud and build a new one using a fairing. You can also time warp to phase the stages apart after you have staged.

On 2/25/2023 at 11:19 AM, Ambious said:

Anyone else experience this?

Yes, I did. When activated through the staging, the decoupler would only blow the fairing but not detach from the Poodle engine. Luckily I quicksaved moments before the Kraken struck and was able to experiment a bit.

I managed to get around the issue by triggering the decoupler manually via the parts menu. This _must_ happen before the decoupler is triggered by the staging though. Otherwise it will just do nothing.

51 minutes ago, Chrishna said:

Yes, I did. When activated through the staging, the decoupler would only blow the fairing but not detach from the Poodle engine. Luckily I quicksaved moments before the Kraken struck and was able to experiment a bit.

I managed to get around the issue by triggering the decoupler manually via the parts menu. This _must_ happen before the decoupler is triggered by the staging though. Otherwise it will just do nothing.

Put the engine and the decoupler in separate stages.

On 2/26/2023 at 4:24 AM, fpb105 said:

Try putting the decouple and engine start in different stages, I had a simialr problem and that fixed it.

This also worked for me. I experienced this decoupling bug with my own craft as well as the pre-made "Kerbal-K2". Both crafts happen to use the poodle engine where the stack decoupler/separator fails to decouple.

5 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Not sure if this is the right thread to post this in, but sometimes staging simply doesn't work at all.  Mashing the space bar does nothing, especially when it comes to deploying parachutes.

Yeah also had this with parachutes. Last night  I had 4 parachutes, only 2 deployed for some reason. 

On 2/27/2023 at 11:06 PM, Stoup said:

Also, if this does happen, and you manage to get to space, you can time warp and the parts should slowly drift apart

If you have rotation, spin first to get a faster drift.

2 hours ago, modus said:

Yeah also had this with parachutes. Last night  I had 4 parachutes, only 2 deployed for some reason. 

I hit this for a Duna landing. Time warp may not play well with staging, even in atmosphere; once I set time to 1, I was able to stage my decoupler. (Yep, double checked and a new vessel refused to stage while time-warping in atmo flight.)

Edited by Abe Kerman

On 3/1/2023 at 7:22 AM, kermatog said:

This also worked for me. I experienced this decoupling bug with my own craft as well as the pre-made "Kerbal-K2". Both crafts happen to use the poodle engine where the stack decoupler/separator fails to decouple.

I can confirm this issue with the poodle engine.

I have seen this with a variety of decouplers. In this video, you can see that even after staging, the control surfaces on the wings can still be actuated even though the only controllable part is on the rocket. This was my first attempt for the week 2 challenge before I switched to a series of connected aero decouplers. This is the link I sent in connection with report ticket 48476.