Please, give the community KSP1's source code

To give or not to give, that's the question!  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Shall we, as the community, get access to the KSP1's source code?

• To give! It'll help the Game, the Community and the Devs.
    • Not to give! 'cause my corporative serfdom isn't over yet.

Literally that.

Since the development team would and will be focused at KSP2, could you give us the source code, so we might look at it and, maybe, fix some things in it to make KSP1 a better game.

I'm begging you to do it. :wink:

Edited by WhatALovelyNick

• 2 months later...

They should sell it off to the community. We could all pitch in and see if we can raise their bid.

Imagine some of the modders getting their hands on the code.

Edited by dr.phees

3 hours ago, dr.phees said:

They should sell it off to the community. We could all pitch in and see if we can raise their bid.

Imagine some of the modders getting their hands on the code.

Yeah, it would be awesome, like the second Christmas. But...

The man can dream, after all. The man must dream. :)

On 5/3/2023 at 3:26 PM, AtomicTech said:

Also, there's no harm in asking.

Have you heard of the boy who cried wolf?   

Please do not ping the CM’s for pointless questions they technically don’t know the answers too, but can’t ask their bosses either cause they’ll get fired for asking such a question.   

Doom, Quake, between others had did it.

Unity publishes it's full source code under a Shared Source style license (you can read it, you can compile it in your machine, and that's all).

[snip]

Officially and legally publishing the Source code (even on a restrictive shared source license as Unity does) will not only be hugely beneficial to KSP itself (potentially being beneficial to KSP2 too by collateral "undamages"), but will help to protect the I.P.  with more eyes monitoring what's happening int the wild.

[snip]

It is a possible and viable option for the Franchise.

Edited by Starhawk
Redacted by moderator

20 hours ago, Lisias said:

Doom, Quake, between others had did it.

Unity publishes it's full source code under a Shared Source style license (you can read it, you can compile it in your machine, and that's all.

[snip]

Officially and legally publishing the Source code (even on a restrictive shared source license as Unity does) will not only be hugely beneficial to KSP itself (potentially being beneficial to KSP2 too by collateral "undamages"), but will help to protect the I.P.  with more eyes monitoring what's happening int the wild.

[snip]

It is a possible and viable option for the Franchise.

Alright. If you all believe KSP going open source is on the table, try contacting T2 and see what they have to say.

Edited by Starhawk
Quoted post redacted by moderator

20 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Alright. If you all believe KSP going open source is on the table, try contacting T2 and see what they have to say.

If we believed it was on the table, we won't be asking for it!!!!

[snip]

What we are asking is to make it available for the EULA and Forum Rules abiding community members too.

Edited by Starhawk
Redacted by moderator

5 minutes ago, Lisias said:

If we believed it was on the table, we won't be asking for it!!!!

And there's no use in asking for something that's not on the table, something T2 is just going to shoot down.

7 minutes ago, Lisias said:

What we are asking is to make it available for the EULA and Forum Rules abiding community members too.

Same difference.

On 5/8/2023 at 12:49 PM, Bej Kerman said:

And there's no use in asking for something that's not on the table, something T2 is just going to shoot down.

It's not how things work. In order to put something on the table, the Company must be aware that there's demand for it and that it's a good (or  a less worst) solution for the problem.

Until now, nobody was asking for it.

Now we are.

Someone, somewhere, will listen to it and - perhaps, if they are intelligent enough - ponder the pros and cons of the thing and do something about.

Not necessarily what we want, but probably something they realised they need to do.

PD and IG got a harsh throat cut event recently, we have new blood on the system; NOW is the time propose solutions for long standing problems that the previous management ignored or wasn't able to fix.

Edited by Lisias
Entertaining grammars made less entertaining,

2 minutes ago, Lisias said:

It's not how things works. In order to put something on the table, the Company must be aware that there's demand for it and that it's a good (or  a less worst) solution for the problem.

Until now, nobody was asking for it.

Now we are.

Someone, somewhere, will listen to it and - perhaps, if they are intelligent enough - ponder the pros and cons of the thing and do something about.

Not necessarily what we want, but probably something they realised they need to do.

PD and IG got a harsh throat cut event recently, we have new blood on the system, NOW is the time propose solutions for long standing problems that the previous management ignored or didn't was able to fix.

It's a big company and ignoring a few posts asking for something is probably going to do 0 harm to their income.

21 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

It's a big company and ignoring a few posts asking for something is probably going to do 0 harm to their income.

It's a big company that lost a huge amount of money on one of the subsidiaries due a incredibly series of bad releases, including the sequel for the game we are pleading the (controlled release) of the Source Code.

There're advantages of doing it, both technical and marketing ones, see the fuzz ID Software got in the past for every source code they released.

It's a viable and time proven solution for the current mess they got themselves into. Bluntly ignoring the claim is the way of the dodo, the new management has the duty to consider every possible minimally viable way out of the current mess they are into.

I'm not implying that releasing of the Source Code will be the best solution, it's possible that they may find something else that would do the same - but bluntly ignoring this alternative, the same way the previous management ignored the technical state of the KSP2 and pushed it ahead anyway is, as I had said above, the way of the dodo.

Edited by Lisias
typo! (and bad grammars now - damn!)

Yes but it will harm their reputation. A lot.

I mean, look at KSP2, it has 355 online players in Steam. I mean, currently. Meanwhile KSP1 has almost 2k. Now. Online. Only in Steam.

PD is... in a bad shape. The update releasing is slowing down. I'm not a very pessimistic guy, but there is a possibility, that we will never see The Second part in full.

If we could get access to the SC -- we must try it. It will be better for the community. After all -- we love this game and we care for it.

32 minutes ago, Lisias said:

It's a big company that lost a huge amount of money on one of the subsidiaries due a incredibly series of bad releases, including the sequel for the game we are pleading the (controlled release) of the Source Code.

There're advantages of doing it, both technical and marketing ones, see the fuzz ID Software got in the past for every source code they released.

It's a viable and time proven solution for the current mess they got themselves into. Bluntly ignoring the claim is the way of the dodo, the new management has the duty to consider every possible minimally viable way out of the current mess they are into.

I'm not implying that releasing of the Source Code will be the best solution, it's possible that they may find something else that would do the same - but bluntly ignoring this alternative, the same way the previous management ignored the technical state of the KSP2 and pushed it ahead anyway is, as I had said above, the way of the dodo.

And not handing out KSP 1's source code would barely be a mosquito on a windshield to T2 compared to their other problems.

22 minutes ago, WhatALovelyNick said:

It won't. This forum is not nearly as important to T2 as people make it out to be. The worst case scenario, the forum gets a bit angry for a bit then all is forgotten.

19 hours ago, WhatALovelyNick said:

Not only that. They are, right now, on the verge of a Strategic Inflection Point.

[snip]

We are asking that such privilege be extended to people that does mind Forum's Publishing Guidelines and the EULA.

Whatever is their decision about this subject, will shape the people that will be around here publishing add'ons for the Community.

19 hours ago, WhatALovelyNick said:

I mean, look at KSP2, it has 355 online players in Steam. I mean, currently. Meanwhile KSP1 has almost 2k. Now. Online. Only in Steam.

PD is... in a bad shape. The update releasing is slowing down. I'm not a very pessimistic guy, but there is a possibility, that we will never see The Second part in full.

This may change with more skilled people with real experience on handling and refactoring legacy systems being able to help.

If we can manage to fix KSP(1) properly, without risking our SASes on shady practices and being able to see in situ the effects of what we do, we may give the Franchise some air to breath, what will increase the KSP(1) incoming, that so can be injected into funding KSP2.

They get some skilled QAS being able to do their magic easier and quicker, and we finally get the game we had paid for for starters. A good bargain, if you ask me - this will be a real improvement on the status quo.

Of course, there will be drawbacks - there're always drawbacks. Perhaps one of them may hinder the endeavour  - but, hell, really big guys did it in the past, and still do it and it also will help to detect unduly use of the reversed engineered SC that it's already in the field. The benefits may outweigh the risks by a mile if things are done properly.

This will not solve all T2I problems, no doubt. But every surviving mosquito lay eggs that leads to more mosquitos - we don't clean up our houses to completely kill all the mosquitos of the Word, we clean our houses to keep them in an acceptable level.

Edited by Starhawk
Redacted by moderator

44 minutes ago, GGG-GoodGuyGreg said:

If Heaven forbid KSP2 doesn’t reach 1.0 or doesn’t live up to the hype, a KSP1 remastered might be the only hope left for the franchise.

As easy as that.. Good luck with KSP 1's shakey, mouldy foundations, the likes of which inspired KSP 2 in the first place.

10 minutes ago, Lisias said:

If we can manage to fix KSP(1) properly, without risking our SASes on shady practices and being able to see in situ the effects of what we do, we may give the Franchise some air to breath, what will increase the KSP(1) incoming, that so can be injected into funding KSP2.

That's right. But... how will we make them to hear us at least?

I tried and this topic went dead for about two months.

42 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

As easy as that.. Good luck with KSP 1's shakey, mouldy foundations, the likes of which inspired KSP 2 in the first place.

That shaky and mouldy foundation has been perfected over a decade with direct user feedback.

It can’t be worse than starting from scratch + you have to remember the appeal of KSP1 made it possible to get away with a 50$ rather early EA.

I think there’s still life left in that puppy.

Edited by GGG-GoodGuyGreg