Please, give the community KSP1's source code

To give or not to give, that's the question!  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Shall we, as the community, get access to the KSP1's source code?

• To give! It'll help the Game, the Community and the Devs.
    • Not to give! 'cause my corporative serfdom isn't over yet.

On 5/10/2023 at 10:09 AM, WhatALovelyNick said:

Nope. sorry. Only official stuff. :(

Then perhaps it's time to embark on an advocacy program?

[snip]

Edited by Starhawk
Political image removed

33 minutes ago, AtomicTech said:

So how are we going to go about it?

Spreading the word in the social networks. Twitter, Facebook, TikTok, you name it.

Giving some awards on the reddit will also help the cause.

— post edit — 

The Source must flow!! :)

Spoiler

Edited by Lisias
The Source must flow!!

Just now, Lisias said:

Spreading the word in the social networks. Twitter, Facebook, TikTok, you name it.

Giving some awards on the reddit will also help the cause.

I don't do social media; just Discord and the Forums but I'll definitely start drumming up some attention!

@WhatALovelyNick, can you add a poll to this thread so we can start collecting votes?

4 hours ago, Nazalassa said:

I did, maybe I should make like an image or something with "The Source Must Flow!" written on it?

A image with Valentina dressed as the Princess would be nice, no? :) 

5 hours ago, Lisias said:

A image with Valentina dressed as the Princess would be nice, no? :) 

It seems that I don't have this reference (if it is a reference to Dune, as the spice suggests, I never watched it).

There's an ongoing battle on reddit. The OP's post there is being continuously upvoted and downvoted! It reached 10 upvotes somewhere in the morning, then got to 5, then upvoted to 8, now is on 5 again.

Apparently we had hit some nerve… :P 

@WhatALovelyNick, you earned one week on the r/lounge. It's nothing special, other that frequented by very fewer people. Perhaps you could get more traction there, with less people trolling you?

23 hours ago, Royalswissarmyknife said:

I may be sounding a bit silly but uh how do I change my signature?

Also the Source must flow!

Click in your Profile Picture top right in the page (on Desktop), then Account Settings on the DropDown Menu, then Signature on the Left Panel.

— — Post Post Edit — —

Now it's on 8 again! :D 

Now it's on 5!

Now it's on 4!

Now it's on 6!

Now it's on 9!

Now it's on 8 again! :D 

I may not look like, but the thing is kinda on fire - lots of people downvoting and upvoting the thing - each reload is a new score!

Edited by Lisias
Brute force post merging

1 hour ago, AtomicTech said:

So, how are we doing in our push to get the source?

This is a long term fight, we are not going to get it next week even if we would be exceptionally successful on the endeavour.

The first step is to mass promote the idea on the social media, including your personal ones. Twitter, Facebook, GETR, reddit, tiktok, you name it. We need to demonstrate people that if we can do good right now, we would be able to do a lot better having (legal) access to the source code. We need to prove that we are able to help, so P.D. can perceive value on the movement - no Company does things just to be nice (well, Sun did some in the past and then Oracle bought them), they need to earn something on this bargain. Again, see ID Software, that published the sources for Wolf3d, Doom and Quake series and are still rock solid nowadays: every time someone ports Doom to something, they are promoting ID indirectly and keeping the Doom franchise alive.

Additionally, "full" (please note the quotes) rights to the Source Code is not mandatory, besides being desirable. P.D. have plans to the future and they may be unsure if Opening (in the OSI conception) the Source will not mangle these plans, so preventing the reuse of the code like Unity does with its licensing terms is still an option.

My opinion is that going OSI will not be damaging, they would not be waving the Kerbals as Intelectual Property, no one will be able to (legally) republish KSP and earn money at their expenses - and people are already pirating the game on the wild without (legally access to) the Source, so nothing to loose on this end  - and if they release the thing as a GPL-like license, anyone publishing anything using this code will be forced to publish any modification they did on the code, what will help to improve the engine - that may be outdated and even crappy right now, but it still cuts it and so, it's still useful. And by people improving the OSI source code, they will be generating knowledge that will be useful into improving KSP2 in the future (since part of KSP2 had feed from the KSP(1) code), not to mention the console problem right now.

By this time, KSP(1) source code is not a technological feature asset per se, is more like a commodity. We aggregate value on it using I.P., and this is sill tremendous strong on KSP. Kerbal is still a thing, a powerful name - no one cares for the code, other than programmers - we care for Jebediah, Valentina, Bill and Bob (and the randomly created Kerbals we acquired on gaming), and they are the real value of the Franchise, not the code. See Linux, anyone can fork and make a derivative, but how many succeeded on it other than Google (and even they had to create a strong name on Android first)?

But, yet, we can live for now without KSP going OSI - what we really need is access to the Source so we can understand what's happening and what we need to do on our side to keep this thingy healthy (these are not mutually exclusive solutions anyway, they can go OSI later).

Our task, right now, is to promote this idea: that going OSI is not the only option,  even by going Unity everybody will still be immensely beneficed (including them), and that we can manage to do it (just look what we managed to accomplish without reading the Source, now imagine what we can do with).

It would be interesting to exchange ideas about how to do it. Videos on Youtube and Tiktok? Someone here knows someone on Ars Technica? Do you guys know Slashdot, someone with a better score than me (not to mention a better English) would like to write an article on Slashdot about it?

Edited by Lisias
revised the text a bit, see things in italics.

5 minutes ago, Lisias said:

See Linux, anyone can fork and make a derivative, but how many succeeded on it other than Google (and even they had to create a strong name on Android first)?

I don't want to turn this into a whole discussion, but can Android be called "Linux"?

33 minutes ago, Nazalassa said:

I don't want to turn this into a whole discussion, but can Android be called "Linux"?

Strictly and technically speaking, yes. "Linux" is the name of the Kernel, what we are used to call "Linux" among us, users, are technically a "Gnu/Linux" distribution, because it's an amalgam with the Linux (the Kernel) and the Gnu toolchain (bash, gcc, bintools, etc). As a matter of fact, there are some people using the BSD toolchain over the Linux Kernel in some applications - as well as using the Gnu toolchain in other kernels (as Dyson, a distro using a kernel derivate from the OpenSolaris into Debian).

Android is an Linux based Operating System, make no mistake about (see it as a Google/Linux distribution). It only happens that Google wrote a huge abstraction layer on top of it, to the point they are trying to replace the kernel with a new custom one (Zircon) on a thingy called Fuchsia.

Edited by Lisias
Hit Save too soon.

7 hours ago, Royalswissarmyknife said:

I ran Ksp on a calculator Vids when?

Unlikely, because the thing was wrote over Unity and we are tied to whatever Unity runs on.

But if someone manages to port Unity to an ARM3 CPU (used by calculators by some time already, they are using emulators to run legacy firmware), yeah - it's theoretically possible. :D You will probably fly crafts with 4 or 5 parts only, however. :sticktongue:

Edited by Lisias
tyop! Surprised?