[0.17] The Pegasus Project

Hello Kerbalnauts,

After a lengthy absence from the spacecraft exchange, I have decided to come back with a project no involving the usual spaceplane, but an interplanetary craft.

The mission is simple: Get to all of the planets (and possibly some moons) in the Kerbol system with one ship. With stock parts only, except mechjeb and docking mods of course.

------------

Last year, around the time when the Mun was added, I watched the BBC documentary "Space Odyssey: Voyage to the Planets." I was quite surprised with the design for such a craft, and it looked somewhat feasible in KSP. Now with the docking mods about, I will work on making this a reality.

I'm drawing up designs, but it will obviously use the asparagus method of fuel depletion and ejection. Since this will be constructed in orbit and stay on orbit, I can get really crazy here. After creating monsters on the launch pad, stability surely won't be an issue.

The main goals:

- 10 or so kerbals sent from kerbin, and have 10 come back

- Several landing modules, both manned and unmanned

- Enough fuel to get to all of the planets, and back to Kerbin

Secondary accomplishments:

- Send a plane into the atmosphere of a planet/moon

- Blow up some stuff for fun

The Kethane mod was considered, but with this scenario it doesn't seem as realistic, and makes the journey possible with the smallest of craft.

The size of the ship will be a Level 2-3 (2 to 3x the height of the launch tower), or 14 to 21 Barretts long (for those who get the joke.)

Discuss.

N0qvT.png

The center circle is the main cylinder of the ship, with the outer six being expendable tanks.

The fuel lines use 2 tanks at a time, and when empty, you simply detach those two, and go to the next pair.

4, 3, 2, and finally the last bit of fuel in 1. Maximum efficiency.

Keep in mind that these fuel tanks will all be added with docking, so they will be able to detach easily already.

I'd be glad to volunteer to identify landing zones and build some landers for ya. Been working in a 3 kerb lander with a small foldable mechjeb'd tosh rover that the kerbs can hop on and ride around. Also I've got an idea in my head for a craft that could launch several rovers from orbit. Basically, the whole ship aerobrakes in the admosphere of a planet, drops rover/s from it's apoapsis, then burns to circularize it's own orbit. The rovers hit the atmosphere and parachute in. Pretty simple, they each way under half a ton I think. Will work on it this weekend for my own enjoyment and post pics/crafts if I come up with anything. Mods used would be Mechjeb (necessary for unmanned rovers), Tosh's cart mod, and mapsat. Maybe the protractor too.

This has been my inspiration as well (and my thanks to whoever posted the link, here on these very forums, that got me to watch it); I've gotten bogged down in the mechanics of actually constructing such a ship in orbit (lifting the parts, and somehow integrating all of them into a single craft, which is not now and probably will not be supported any time soon, even with mods like ORDA or Erkle). I suppose it wouldn't be cheating too much to take that capability as a given, and going from there.

That's cool, but we are going to need a bigger plate than that for this design...

My personal goal is to beat the size of my prototype flagship from .13 more or less.

screenshot77e.png

screenshot33f.png

And since I can finally build it in orbit, this won't happen 90% of the time:

screenshot36j.png

So yes, this will require a much larger shield...

Spaceplane will save you a bunch on eve, also keeping the thing controllable after you start losing symetry in orbit will be extremely difficult. I have an 8 tank lander/ascent/rtk lander for Duna if it would help.

Ships will be detached in pairs.

maby i can help with the space plane but with the current one iv got now it isnt capeble to be carryd with the ship becuas it doent make use of docking but it is capeble of getting landed on a planet and taking off to aan 100k orbit in the case with kerbin its also capeble of landing verticaly and horizantaly maby if you got a cargo bay mod or somthing installed that can get the spaceplane in it it will be capeble of going with the ship just pm me if you want to make use of it then i am gonna look to make it capeble of docking altoug its a 1 person craft (mk 1 cocpit) (sory for no pictures cant upload them for somme reason)

have you guys figured out a way to stabilize docked modules? Unless what your planning on making one giant ship to be launched from KSC, I'm guessing your going to launch multiple pieces to be docked assembled in orbit. The reason i ask is i recently attempted to recreate the seven part Mars mission, and after about 3 hours real time of time accel waiting for the phase angle to get into position, my 3 part trans-planetary vehicle (thruster section, hab, and CM) turned into a wet noodle when in lit the engines for the trans-burn. It seems like the docking connection isnt strong enough to hold up to any forces other than the magic torque and light rcs's

I don't believe any such mechanism currently exists.

My assumption was that the complete ship would be placed in orbit (by a mod), perhaps after the OP has gone through the motions of assembling a comparable craft from components lifted into orbit by the conventional manner.

It's the best we can do for now.