Acceleration under time warp with ion engines?

Soda Popinski

I did a Dres mission with the fission reactor and four dawn engines. Worked just fine, though with a caveat: Currently hyperbolic trajectories that exit the solar system break the trajectory line (purely visually) in the map view. This is an issue which plagued solar sail navigator for the longest time, but isn't too difficult to fix depending on their implementation, so hopefully it's ironed out soon.

Yep I also used ions to go to Dres first thing. There are some bugs and limitations: you can't adjust your attitude during warp which makes spiraling out from Kerbin difficult, the integrated maneuver nodes are nice but behave strangely sometimes, etc, but it's very workable. Makes low thrust craft actually fun to use. 

Edited by silent_prtoagonist

2 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

Does this work for anyone?  I asked on Reddit if acceleration under time warp worked, and someone mentioned it did for nukes.  I'm not seeing any acceleration when using an ion engine, though resources are being used.

I noticed this too with regular methalox engines, resources where being consumed but no acceleration

4 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

Guess it's a bit bugged.  I'll try a restart.

That didn't help.  I wonder if having more than one type of engine is screwing things up.  Already, I can't get delta-V for the active ion engine.  Since I can't figure out mass, I can't work backwards to get delta-V.

17 hours ago, silent_prtoagonist said:

You can't adjust your attitude during warp which makes spiraling out from Kerbin difficult, 

Oh booo, I hope they fix that, that's a major issue for me.

I was looking forward to this type of maneuver with very very low thrust ion/vasimr/mod/ etc thrusters

• 1 month later...

I have a feeling that acceleration under timewarp stops working for very low thrust. Annoyingly, the acceleration from a single ion engine on a 100t vehicle may just be rounded to zero for on-rails physics. Not sure if that's a bug or an intended feature.

IIRC, I've also had this issue with hydrogen engines on very heavy vehicles, but I'll have to do some testing to confirm.

• 9 months later...

That’s a known bug that should be fixed in the next patch if you believe what was said in the last KERB (issue #10).

i experienced it too and it’s pretty annoying, I give up on ion engines until 0.2.1

• 2 weeks later...