The controls in the editor should be a carbon copy of the original.

Azimech

I'm mixed on the editor controls. I greatly miss being able to hold shift and scroll to pan the camera up/down. I think that should make a return eventually. The symmetry controls are easy to shoot yourself in the foot with. The part manager also seems a bit clunky at times when compared to the original game's right click menus but has its advantages.

Overall though, the assembly-based VAB is a colossal quality of life increase imho, being able to work on parts separate from one another then stick them together is very useful.

The gizmo would be better the way it was in KSP1. 

Also the SPH in KSP1 was better mostly because we could move whereever we liked within the hangar when the VAB had us rotating around the craft which was very restrictive.

The VAB in KSP2 is ok for normal crafts...maybe. But what happens when we are making huge crafts that cover a lot of area?

On 2/25/2023 at 1:57 PM, The Aziz said:

Or you could get used to it since now it has to work with both horizontal and vertical assembly.

After two days I already forgot KSP1 control scheme.

The scrolling up and down the rocket by dragging your mouse is unacceptable, it feels really, really bad.

With the original KSP, I found myself relaxed as I built rockets in the VAB and SPH as I spent all my time focusing on the design.

In KSP 2, I found myself increasingly agitated with the way that the controls worked and I spent more time fighting it than actually playing the game.

Might it be an acceptable alternative if we have another button that switches from classic VAB controls and classic SPH controls?

1 minute ago, AtomicTech said:

With the original KSP,

1 minute ago, AtomicTech said:

classic VAB controls and classic SPH controls?

Like I was saying. Y'all so used to old controls that your mind refuses presented alternative. I treat KSP2 as totally different game, not just "a better KSP1". I don't have problems switching to control scheme in, let's say, Spore creator.

5 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Like I was saying. Y'all so used to old controls that your mind refuses presented alternative. I treat KSP2 as totally different game, not just "a better KSP1". I don't have problems switching to control scheme in, let's say, Spore creator.

I guess so.

I just go by the ol' saying, "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

Also, I just really hate the scrolling mechanism to go up and down your rocket.

On 2/25/2023 at 8:23 PM, regex said:

I disagree, the new controls work just fine for what they're trying to do. Watching one of the tutorials and figuring out middle clicking on a part pretty much changed my mind.

How do you middle click, ie select a part that is hidden inside other parts? Pretty much essential if you want to make more complex craft. 

22 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

How do you middle click, ie select a part that is hidden inside other parts? Pretty much essential if you want to make more complex craft. 

Select a part further down the line and clip your camera or something. Get creative, try new things, it's a totally new game.

4 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

So selecting parts is basically the same way as in KSP just a different button? 

No, middle click focuses the camera on a part, that's how you move around now. Once the camera is focused you can pan and rotate as normal to clip inside stuff like before. It's just a different way to do things. I don't have time to check right now but I also believe you can focus on a completely unrelated part while working on a craft, just wang a tank down somewhere to anchor or focus on another craft in the workspace.

Edited by regex

1 minute ago, regex said:

No, middle click focuses the camera on a part, that's how you move around now. Once the camera is focused you can pan and rotate as normal to clip inside stuff like before. It's just a different way to do things. I don't have time to check right now but I also believe you can focus on a completely unrelated part while working on a craft, just wang a tank down somewhere to anchor or focus on another craft in the workspace.

Seems like a worse way of doing it really… that’s why I was confused, if you have to find a part to select it in order the move the camera around how do you move the camera around to find the part. :-)

Anyway, thanks for the reply. I will see what some of the other complex craft builders think of it as I’m not playing it. 

2 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

Seems like a worse way of doing it really… that’s why I was confused, if you have to find a part to select it in order the move the camera around how do you move the camera around to find the part

You rotate the camera until you see what you're looking for.

20 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

Seems like a worse way of doing it really…

I imagine part of the reason to switch to that method is it makes switching between craft in a workspace pretty easy. It's basically two clicks, one to focus the camera, the other to select it for control. I have four planes in a workspace and if I want to make a new one I just zoom out and slap a new cockpit down somewhere open, then switch focus. Hell, I can have an entire rocket garden in a single workspace, it's pretty nice.

Edited by regex

Took me a while to get used to but I’m okay with it. I assume the main reason behind the change was that both rockets and aircraft are designed in the same building now.

However, I do hope they fix middle mouse triggering part focus when you’re holding it down for vertical movement.

3 hours ago, HowDoKerbal said:

However, I do hope they fix middle mouse triggering part focus when you’re holding it down for vertical movement.

This seems like a general issue with how they're handling input. Similar issue in map view, rotating with right click, if you release on an object the context menu for it will open.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.