NO CAREER MODE or Money planned for game

RaBDawG

51 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

Yeah skipping the moral vacancy of these sentiments. Nearly all of the best games Ive played had no money. This all seems like some weak, unimaginative thinking. Ksp has always been about discovery and the power of clever engineering. Y’all need to broaden your horizons. 

All endeavors have a budget.  Time, money, resources, etc.  Life requires budgeting of resources.  Cleverness has no point if there are no constraints.  Constraints imply budgeting of resources.  Stop being so preachy and go play your fave games before your own moral vacancy starts to show too much, lol.  All meant in good humor.

9 hours ago, darthgently said:

All endeavors have a budget.  Time, money, resources, etc.  Life requires budgeting of resources.  Cleverness has no point if there are no constraints.  Constraints imply budgeting of resources.  Stop being so preachy and go play your fave games before your own moral vacancy starts to show too much, lol.  All meant in good humor.

Obviously there are constraints in all games. The good ones avoid single, universally fungible currencies because they make the play experience one-dimensional, reductive, and boring. The goal is to create a range of experiences where different tasks result in different rewards that carry with them strategic tradeoffs. If you do a you get b, but if you do x you get y. If a given reward requires both b+y then you got a pot of stew goin. If there’s one currency with which you can buy all or most things players will just do what makes the most money rather than seeking out a dynamic set of goals that synergize to produce something unique. It limits the design space for vehicles and overall gameplay. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

On 4/17/2023 at 7:10 PM, Hanuman said:

100% handcrafted missions.  Imagine how boring THAT would be the 80th time through the exact same thing in the exact same order.

Yep. Of course that is the same reason some of the contracts are bad. Contracts like "build a surface outpost on the surface of Duna with room for 12 kerbals and 4000 monoprop fuel and 2 pilots". It's fun once or twice and that's it. Contracts are much better when the objectives are not overly strict.

6 hours ago, Bake said:

The money aspect and contracts are the whole reason I tried to build as small and cheap as possible to complete the current objective.  Otherwise, I would have just built with my most advanced/largest equipment every mission.

Same. In KSP2 it's all too easy to build a SWERV rocket for every mission, with a massive booster stage below that to get it out of Kerbin's atmosphere.

We can speculate that unlocking SWERV will require some serious scientific achievements. After that, what will inhibit the player from using SWERV? Only the production of Hydrogen fuel. As with all resources, I expect Hydrogen will either be produced by KSC itself or produced by a player-built facility and shipped to a VAB. Once that production line is built, the player can time warp to get as much Hydrogen as they need.

Point being that resources will quickly become practically infinite in KSP2. In the same way, KSP1 is hard-going early on, but Funds become meaningless by the time you finish upgrading every building. In both cases, career mode turns into sandbox mode. Hopefully Intercept has some brilliant ideas on how to keep resource management meaningful for the player. Which I think they will, just not with a replication of KSP1's contracts.

For anyone that needs reassurance, here's a transcription of something Nate said in the 3/24 AMA.

In some cases it may be similar to KSP in terms of you just land in a region of a certain celestial body and get science, but there may also be more localized discoveries that require a little more searching, and those will also yield science.

One thing we haven't talked too much about is that there is a mission system that supplements the science and exploration modes. They're not contracts, but they are a sort of opt-in mission system that gives you a reward for doing a particular thing. So that will sort of exist in lockstep with the science.

You can make things more interesting for yourself now by exploring the limits of what you can build when trying to stay low-tech and low-mass. Both of these constraints, applied to a degree that suits your tastes, will challenge your skill at craft building and translate over well whenever the future resource system adds actual constraints.

You also have KSP1 to give yourself some context for what parts are generally cheaper and lower tech, for example solid rocket boosters stand out as a pretty cheap way to add some extra power and delta-v to your launch stages.

Edited by Lyneira

On 4/24/2023 at 4:23 AM, Lyneira said:

You can make things more interesting for yourself now by exploring the limits of what you can build when trying to stay low-tech and low-mass. Both of these constraints, applied to a degree that suits your tastes, will challenge your skill at craft building and translate over well whenever the future resource system adds actual constraints.

You also have KSP1 to give yourself some context for what parts are generally cheaper and lower tech, for example solid rocket boosters stand out as a pretty cheap way to add some extra power and delta-v to your launch stages.

I'm glad I paid $50 to go play KSP1, lol.

On 4/22/2023 at 1:10 PM, Periple said:

I like to imagine that kerbals live in a post-scarcity society where they can fully devote themselves to whatever makes them happy, like giant rockets going whoosh and occasionally kaboom! :joy:

I plan on naming my first v.1.0 save “The Kulture”…

48 minutes ago, Wheehaw Kerman said:

I plan on naming my first v.1.0 save “The Kulture”…

I'm actually hoping for one of the new engines to be named "Kulture* Kandela". Sounds like a fitting name for a torch drive.

*I know it's culcha candela and not culture candela...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.