where do my Kerbals go after recovery?

Capt. Hunt

Obviously they were assassinated after landing to cover up the truth of Flat Kerbin.

But yes, that's definitely happening.   At least if you warp for some time they should reappear, at least the main 4 will.  And who cares about the fates of randomly generated redshirts   XCOM rookies  valued astronauts anyway?

Edited by Razor235

I have exactly the same issue. I landed safely (three times by now), but I never find him for the next mission in VAB.

I also noticed, that after recovering the vehicle, you get this window, where you can either go to Training Center or Tracking Station. The is no way to back to KSC, you just stay where you landed.
If you go to TC or TS and go back (the arrow in the top left) you go back to where you landed. so weird.

I guess Jeb is tired after a 3d long mission to Mun, he needs a holiday...

Confirmed here. After all the trouble I went to to recover Valentina after she magically was flung away from a station during an EVA, and then reappeared at it again, then disappeared, and then the station teleported itself into a higher orbit and nosedived into the ground...

Well... having them missing from the crew roster is the perfect ending to the perfect day, I guess.

I found a workaround for this. Load up a few empty command modules in the VAB and throw some of the available kerbals in there. New ones will get added to the list of available kerbals, and you should see the ones you had recovered show up there as well. It's as if there's a queue of kerbals, and it starts by showing you only 10 at a time, and when you recover one, it puts that kerbal at the end of the queue.

6 hours ago, whatsEJstandfor said:

I found a workaround for this. Load up a few empty command modules in the VAB and throw some of the available kerbals in there. New ones will get added to the list of available kerbals, and you should see the ones you had recovered show up there as well. It's as if there's a queue of kerbals, and it starts by showing you only 10 at a time, and when you recover one, it puts that kerbal at the end of the queue.

oh, that's actually pretty cool.  That would keep Jeb from flying every rocket like in KSP1.  It would be nice if they at least had a scroll bar on the list though, so it was clear that your Kerbals weren't just missing.

I can confirm that this does occur whenever you recover a craft with a kerbal in it, or the kerbal itself. The crew roster doesn't go empty though, since it seems new kerbals keep getting added so you'll always have a minimum of 10 kerbals. 

10 minutes ago, Capt. Hunt said:

oh, that's actually pretty cool.  That would keep Jeb from flying every rocket like in KSP1.  It would be nice if they at least had a scroll bar on the list though, so it was clear that your Kerbals weren't just missing.

Yeah you should be able to choose which 10 are available in the vab. (Why) Isn't there an astronaut complex?

I made it my head cannon that after wrestling with the Deep Space Kraken on perilous missions, my brave Kerbals are allowed to retire when they get home. That's a bit of a shame though, not being able to write their stories further.

I've found that if I cycle crew in and out of the craft in the VAB, recovered kerbals will reappear. In my second attempt at launching a Kerbal-X-alike, I added someone and then Bill appeared on the bottom. Repeating this twice added back Bob and Jebediah. So they're in there, not dead, just not visible at first.

I figured that a debrief and recuperation mechanic seemed appropriate for just-recovered crew.

4 hours ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

I've found that if I cycle crew in and out of the craft in the VAB, recovered kerbals will reappear. In my second attempt at launching a Kerbal-X-alike, I added someone and then Bill appeared on the bottom. Repeating this twice added back Bob and Jebediah. So they're in there, not dead, just not visible at first.

I figured that a debrief and recuperation mechanic seemed appropriate for just-recovered crew.

You know, after I had posted this:

I went and tried it again and it wasn't working. I didn't have any other active vehicles that Bill et al. were hiding in, so something else may have happened, but I'm glad to know that I really wasn't just imagining things and that it has worked for someone else

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2023 at 2:10 AM, Gordon Fecyk said:

I have experienced the same,  After returning from my n-th mission, I suddenly saw Jeb (who was missing after the first mission) was back. So today he'll go to Duna!

to cover up the truth of Flat Kerbin

Oh the "truth" is even scarier: the flat thing is KSC and surroundings... all else in the Universe is just procedural code that some Gods write to entertain other Gods around them - Jeb and Bob and Valentina are in simulation and with current hassle up the programming heavens - it became apparent they may not even ever existed... [some good trance music here] 

p.s. to stay on topic, I also noted that once you start doing launches and reverting flights, names of Kerbals in the cockpit change... I believe for now they just generate random green dudes + kerman names, good catch, this should be fixed as named Kerbals are a thing in KSP since forever

On 2/26/2023 at 12:14 AM, Capt. Hunt said:

Kerbals that you recover cannot be used again, they seem to disappear from your crew roster, and can't be placed in new spacecraft.

There is a private ocean under the runway that only flight rated Kerbals know about.  After they've gone out and been 'recovered' they like to disappear for a while. 

Don't worry - they'll be back on rotation after a little R&R