The Space Exploration Discussion Thread/The Rocket Launch Megathread

mustwinfull

A4nkjFjCcAABKvx.jpg:large

Falcon 9 is now rising for today's launch.

Cargo coming down is here:

Crew Supplies:

• Crew preference items.
  • Official flight kit items.
  • ESA PAO items.
  • Flight crew equipment.

Utilization payloads (866 pounds for NASA, ESA, JAXA):

• Double Cold Bags - Five cold bags used to refrigerate samples for transport.
  • UMS - Urine Monitoring System (UMS) is designed to collect an individual urine void, gently separate liquid from air, accurately measure the liquid volume of the urine, allow sample packaging, and discharge remaining urine into the Waste and Hygiene Compartment (WHC).
  • MELFI EU - Electronics unit for Minus Eighty-degree Laboratory Freezer for ISS (MELFI), an ultra-cold storage unit for experiment samples.
  • GLACIER - General Laboratory Active Cryogenic ISS Experiment Refrigerator
  • BioLab - Biological Experiment Laboratory in Columbus (BioLab) is a multiuser research facility located in the European Columbus laboratory. It will be used to perform space biology experiments on microorganisms, cells, tissue cultures, small plants, and small invertebrates.
  • Energy - Astronaut's Energy Requirements for Long-Term Space Flight (Energy) wil measures changes in energy balance in crew members.
  • CSPINS - Dynamism of Auxin Efflux Facilitators, CsPINs, Responsible for Gravity-regulated Growth and Development in Cucumber (CsPINs) uses cucumber seedlings to analyze the effect of gravity on gravimorphogenesis (peg formation) in cucumber plants.
  • Hicari - Materials science investigation Growth of Homogeneous SiGe Crystals in Microgravity by the TLZ Method (Hicari) aims to verify crystal-growth by traveling liquidous zone method, and to produce high-quality crystals of silicon-germanium (SiGe) semiconductor using the Japanese Experiment Module-Gradient Heating Furnace (JEM-GHF).
  • Marangoni - Marangoni convection is the flow driven by the presence of a surface tension gradient which can be produced by temperature difference at a liquid/gas interface.
  • Resist Tubule - Role of Microtubule-Membrane-Cell Wall Continuum in Gravity Resistance in Plants (Resist Wall) investigation was conducted to determine the importance of the structural connections between microtubules, plasma membrane, and the cell wall as the mechanism of gravity resistance.
  • MICROBE III - Microbe-III experiment monitors microbes on board the ISS which may affect the health of crew members.
  • MYCO - Mycological evaluation of crew exposure to ISS ambient air (Myco) evaluates the risk of microorganisms via inhalation and adhesion to the skin to determine which fungi act as allergens.
  • IPU Power Supply Module - Image Processing Unit (IPU) is a Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) subrack facility that receives, records, and downlinks experiment image data for experiment processing.

Vehicle hardware (518 pounds):

• CHeCS - Crew Health Care System (Compound Specific Analyzer-Combustion Products).
  • ECLSS - Fluids Control and Pump Assembly; Catalytic Reactor; Hydrogen sensor.
  • CSA-Camera Light Pan Tilt Assembly.
  • Electrical Power System.
  • Pump package for JAXA.
  • Cabin filter and ATV cabin fan for ESA.

Computers resources (11 pounds)

Russian cargo (44 pounds)

Spacewalk hardware (68 pounds):

• EMU hardware and gloves for previous crew members

Keep watching this thread for further news on today's Falcon 9 launch.

Edited by mustwinfull

Whoever was watching the livestream in the last 15 minutes, my aunt is Beth Shepard.

The livestream is on NOW? AHHHH...

Could you link as I can't find it.

Seriously though, could you tell me who Beth Shephard is but I'm sure she's important, lucky you.

It's not really a livestream, but it's NASA TV. It's in the OP, that you made :P

I do believe she is an astronaut trainer. I haven't seen her in a really long time. She's married to William Shepard: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Shepherd

In case you don't want to read, he was the first commander of the ISS.

Ahhhh...NASA TV...That explains it, thanks.

First commander of the ISS, you are extremely lucky but it's sad that you haven't seen her in a while, unless you fell out.

Remember, live coverage starts at 11:55 GMT (17:55 EDT) and can be found on NASA TV or on the SpaceX website.

Ahhhh...NASA TV...That explains it, thanks.

First commander of the ISS, you are extremely lucky but it's sad that you haven't seen her in a while, unless you fell out.

Remember, live coverage starts at 11:55 GMT (17:55 EDT) and can be found on NASA TV or on the SpaceX website.

Nah she just lives down south in West Virginia (I think) and I'm up in New York. It is quite sad I haven't seen her in a while but I prolly won't be able to get down to WV any time soon. I saw my uncle land his space shuttle after he went up to the ISS down in Florida. It was, according to Wikipedia, on March 21, 2001, when he landed. I even got to meet the rest of the crew, which were Russian cosmonauts. I don't remember much of it tho cuz I was only 4.

It's always something good to brag about tho.

Nah she just lives down south in West Virginia (I think) and I'm up in New York. It is quite sad I haven't seen her in a while but I prolly won't be able to get down to WV any time soon. I saw my uncle land his space shuttle after he went up to the ISS down in Florida. It was, according to Wikipedia, on March 21, 2001, when he landed. I even got to meet the rest of the crew, which were Russian cosmonauts. I don't remember much of it tho cuz I was only 4.

It's always something good to brag about tho.

Indeed it is, why can't I have someone like that in my family?

Too bad you saw the shuttle landing when you were young, I completely missed every single shuttle mission to happen and I only started looking at them 2 months ago.

Oh heck, I thought the launch was on Tuesday for some reason. Thanks for this thread, I nearly missed history in the making.

Your Welcome Kryten, I'm glad I saved you for the first commercial re-supply mission by SpaceX to the ISS. Remember to keep watching this thread for future launches/updates.

Great success! Although, one of the engines did shut down. At least now we know for sure that the engine-out capability works :)

From SpaceX:

“Falcon 9 detected an anomaly on one of the nine engines and shut it down. As designed, the flight computer then recomputed a new ascent profile in realtime to reach the target orbit, which is why the burn times were a bit longer. Like Saturn V, which experienced engine loss on two flights, the Falcon 9 is designed to handle an engine flameout and still complete its mission. I believe F9 is the only rocket flying today that, like a modern airliner, is capable of completing a flight successfully even after losing an engine. There was no effect on Dragon or the Space Station resupply mission.â€Â

Great success! Although, one of the engines did shut down. At least now we know for sure that the engine-out capability works :)

From SpaceX:

“Falcon 9 detected an anomaly on one of the nine engines and shut it down. As designed, the flight computer then recomputed a new ascent profile in realtime to reach the target orbit, which is why the burn times were a bit longer. Like Saturn V, which experienced engine loss on two flights, the Falcon 9 is designed to handle an engine flameout and still complete its mission. I believe F9 is the only rocket flying today that, like a modern airliner, is capable of completing a flight successfully even after losing an engine. There was no effect on Dragon or the Space Station resupply mission.â€Â

I know, I found out about that after, it's quite good that they can pull it off after losing an engine.

I will give you live Dragon tracking here in a bit when the website comes back up.

I'm hoping for a successful berth to the ISS in a few days.

I should not have gone looking for more information on the internets. I read through these two threads and now I don't know what to believe. There's a lot of worrying going on in the armchair rocket scientist community.

Edited by Borklund

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.