NASA's next big thing!

darkwolfpaw54

I got over to the NASA Langely open house I got in the mission room and I saw the plans they had.It was a mars plane.

(steps I saw) areoshell brakes through the air of mars.(thats step one)the bottom of the areoshell gets jettsoned(thats step three)the plane gets jettsioned(thats step four)the wings unfold in mid air and glides(thats step five)solar powered engine deployed and flys powered(thats step six and the final step). I have no idea what there gonna use it for (for air samples I guess).

This is anti nerco thread due to NASA's epicness.

404240262-WS107.JPG

Please use proper spacing, pacing, and capitalization. For one thing, you don't need to write "that's step one;" rather, you can format it like so:

I was at NASA's Langley open house today and saw, among others, a plan for a Mars plane. It was organized into steps, and went like this:

1. Using an aeroshell, the airplane kills velocity in the Martian air.

2. The aeroshell is jettisoned.

3. The plane is jettisoned, and

4. the wings unfold in mid-air and allow the plane to begin gliding.

And so on.

404240262-WS107.JPG

Please use proper spacing, pacing, and capitalization. For one thing, you don't need to write "that's step one;" rather, you can format it like so:

I was at NASA's Langley open house today and saw, among others, a plan for a Mars plane. It was organized into steps, and went like this:

And so on.

calm down. Just because someone makes a mistake doesnt mean you need to go crazy.

NASA wouldn't be careless to let anyone see what they plan on doing. If you saw it, then it probably won't happen.

The atmosphere on Mars is much thinner than on Earth. This means that there are less air molecules for the wings to create lift. The wings have to be bigger to make more lift. If the airplane uses propellers, the blades need to be bigger on a Mars airplane than they would be on an Earth airplane to make the same amount of thrust and lift as on Earth.

The force of gravity is lower on Mars. This means that the airplane won’t weigh as much on Mars as it does on Earth because there is less force pulling the airplane toward the planet. Still, if the airplane carries a lot of equipment, the wings will have to be larger to create enough lift.

There is also a lot less free oxygen in Mars’ atmosphere than there is on Earth. Most Earth airplanes use oxygen from the air to help them burn the fuel in their tanks. The Mars airplane needs to use another form of fuel, take oxygen with it, or carry technology that can separate oxygen from the carbon dioxide atmosphere. Oxygen tanks or other types of fuel, such as batteries or solar panels, add to the weight of the airplane.

Since Mars is at least 35 million miles away from Earth, the airplane is going to have to fly by itself. Earth is too far away for radio signals to control it like a remote-controlled car. If the airplane has a computer onboard, flight moves can be programmed into the computer before it leaves Earth.

404240262-WS107.JPG

And so on.

wow... i get a warning for "trolling" stupid comments because i am adding nothing usefull to a thread...

where do you get off uppping this guy for that...

sounds to me like ur the one with the problem... i got all the information he was trying to present.. which i found interesting

seriously.. if your going to dedicate your life to being a grammar and punctuation nazi in this day and age ... you have a long boring road ahead of you

the world is fastly accommodating the lowest common denominator get with it or abandon ship

Hey, you know what? I've read dozens of threads, where people like darkwolf and zapy and princess venus and the whole shebang never once seem to even try to improve the readability of their posts. I almost never said a damn thing. I was not mad, oh no.

But I suppose now pointing out that a person's post isn't very appealing to read is "going crazy" by "uppping this guy" and "dedicat[ing my] life to being a grammar and punctuation nazi in this day and age" who's helping to turn the world into "the lowest common denominator get with it or abandon ship." Evidently trying to help someone understand the standard conventions of English so that he can better communicate with people is a crime against humanity.

Spl1nt, I think one can emphasize readability without dedicating their life to being a grammar nazi; I found his post useful because it's simply a lot easier to read.

I think it is always advisable to just look over your post, just once, maybe read it aloud if your feeling wild. I don't care about clauses or verb agreement, but I want to know what someone is saying without having to decipher it.

But back on topic:

This is legitimate, but it's not NASA's "next big thing".

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/langley/news/releases/2002/02-090.html#

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerial_Regional-scale_Environmental_Survey

Edited by lucidLemon

I find your extreme generalizations of Accellerando pointless. The post was helpful in that it added clarity. Please stop jumping the gun and assuming he's therefore a grammar nazi. It's not being a "grammar nazi" to suggest that people can improve the readability of their posts for the benefit of others. (I honestly have a great deal of trouble reading the OP, and didn't bother to read it because of said difficulty.)

NASA said they will. Even though the air is so thin.

Curiosity's skycrane acts like a VTOL craft.

Maybe if the plane has VTOL thrusters..

IT can hover and move around with a birds eye view

of every thing.

Then it can rechrage its engines with its solar panels though only day :(.

P.S: this is starting to become a grammar thread! whats up with that.(reads 1 page before) :blush: god

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.